The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

It's a matter of not wanting to put the cart before the horse, because you're still dealing with beating the man who beat Nadal. Raonic's history with these open paths doesn't help. But all in all I couldn't feel more confident about a win here, lol. He's been looking more composed

Will really hope for a Federer win, because a guarantee of either of him or Raonic going through to the finals would be awesome. Having two horses in the same race like that helps.

I've got more horse analogies to use if I want.

For sure. If Raonic and Fed make it to the semis, I'll be rooting for Roger, but I'll still be happy for Raonic if he wins.

It's a matter of not wanting to put the cart before the horse, because you're still dealing with beating the man who beat Nadal. Raonic's history with these open paths doesn't help. But all in all I couldn't feel more confident about a win here, lol. He's been looking more composed

Will really hope for a Federer win, because a guarantee of either of him or Raonic going through to the finals would be awesome. Having two horses in the same race like that helps.

I've got more horse analogies to use if I want.

Ahh, my head exploded with all that horse analogies lol

Okay. Nadal oustered. This is your chance for glory, Milos. Don't let some Aussie punk steal your thunder.

Hey man Kyrgios is not a punk , he is a good kid who just beat one of the greatest tennis players of all time.

Such a big moment for Nick , hope he savours his victory and keeps on keeping on.

First time in 22 years a player ranked outside the top 100 has beaten the world No.1.

Edited by Buddhas Hand

Another big day for Milos and Genie!

Milos's serve is beastly on grass. But what I'm really impressed about is the rest of his game. He used to be the player where, if his serve was returned, he was likely going to lose the point. Not so anymore. He's making far fewer unforced errors and hitting more winners. Seems to have simplified his game and isn't going huge on every shot. Just keeping it simple.

And Genie played fantastic as well. I love how deliberately she hits shots and changes directionality.

Now the going gets real tough. Good luck to both, and to Vasek and Nestor in their respective doubles matches.

I am so surprised Genie hasn't lost a set in Wimbledon yet. As for Raonic he will need to step up to beat Federer, the dude can return serves like the best of them. Can you imagine the double upset, Djokavic and Federer both letting the two 23 year olds at a chance at the grand slam.

Edited by 87Crosby

What a great week for Canadian Tennis, Genie and Milos in the Semi's, we have a good chance for one, if not both of Nestor and Pospisil, to make the semi's in the doubles.

Have to think Milos has, by far, the toughest match-up in the semi's, his serve and the rest of his game better be spot on, or I see Federer taking him apart.

Genie and Halep should be an awesome match to watch, hard to really say if there's a favorite in that match.

Would be awsome if both Nestor and Pospisil win their matches, would mean they face each other in the semi's and have a guaranteed Canadian in the men's doubles.

Go Canada GO!! :towel: :towel: :towel:

With the results Canadian tennis players have had so far this year, and if they continue this trend, do you feel that tennis will have a larger sphere of influence in Canadian media?

I've only really started to watch tennis maybe 4 years ago or so, and then it was basically just the Finals of the Grand Slams, over time become more of a fan, and last year or so it's really taken off with the emergence of Raonic, Bouchard, Pospisil.

Just wondering what your experiences are with tennis fans in Canada? I know less than a handful of people who are basically even aware if there is a Grand Slam currently going on. It's such a fun sport to watch, has become, far and away, my second favorite sport next to hockey.

Edited by Glory_Days
  • Upvote 1

With the results Canadian tennis players have had so far this year, and if they continue this trend, do you feel that tennis will have a larger sphere of influence in Canadian media?

I've only really started to watch tennis maybe 4 years ago or so, and then it was basically just the Finals of the Grand Slams, over time become more of a fan, and last year or so it's really taken off with the emergence of Raonic, Bouchard, Pospisil.

Just wondering what your experiences are with tennis fans in Canada? I know less than a handful of people who are basically even aware if there is a Grand Slam currently going on. It's such a fun sport to watch, has become, far and away, my second favorite sport next to hockey.

I think definitely the rise of Raonic and maybe more-so Genie Bouchard has definitely raised the profile of the sport in Canada. My family were always tennis fans, starting back to before I was born and my parents were big Michael Chang fans. But I think more people are definitely taking notice and it'll have a similar effect as to what the Women's team has done for soccer both in Canada and the States. Raonic has been on the rise for a lot longer than Bouchard, but I think Genie's got the star quality that will really launch her into superstardom.

We're getting a bit spoiled here with 3 straight grand slam semi-finals by Bouchard, lol. I'd say something about soaking it in while we can, but with her skill and tenacity it only feels like a taste of what's to come with her in the future.

With Raonic charting new territory as well, this was the best day to be a Canadian tennis fan.. since probably ever. Maybe/Hopefully the next couple days will be even better.

The idea of having a decently competitive player was something of a crazy dream. So having a top player compete on both the men's and women's side at the same time is something else. I know I'm just reiterating the same things here, but I don't want to take this for granted.

I think definitely the rise of Raonic and maybe more-so Genie Bouchard has definitely raised the profile of the sport in Canada. My family were always tennis fans, starting back to before I was born and my parents were big Michael Chang fans. But I think more people are definitely taking notice and it'll have a similar effect as to what the Women's team has done for soccer both in Canada and the States. Raonic has been on the rise for a lot longer than Bouchard, but I think Genie's got the star quality that will really launch her into superstardom.

On top of her quality, the women's side is simply more open for the taking.

We're getting a bit spoiled here with 3 straight grand slam semi-finals by Bouchard, lol. I'd say something about soaking it in while we can, but with her skill and tenacity it only feels like a taste of what's to come with her in the future.

With Raonic charting new territory as well, this was the best day to be a Canadian tennis fan.. since probably ever. Maybe/Hopefully the next couple days will be even better.

The idea of having a decently competitive player was something of a crazy dream. So having a top player compete on both the men's and women's side at the same time is something else. I know I'm just reiterating the same things here, but I don't want to take this for granted.

On top of her quality, the women's side is simply more open for the taking.

Sometimes i feel that it is unfair when people compare Bouchard to Milos. It's not even a fair comparison. Or when they pit them against each other. That's the worst.