The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Agreed on most of the above. I think this one year deal was another chance to see if he could stick, and they let go of others like Jeremy Price to fit him in. While the accident had something to do with it perhaps, I don't think it was a major factor in any way apart from maybe slowing his development.

I'd been holding onto a hope that he could become a solid #7 defenceman and improve on someone like Alberts, but I'd long since dropped the idea of him being really effective offensively at the NHL level. He could find a career as an AHL'er, and maybe he even finds a way to become a productive NHL'er, but I don't see it happening here.

We'll have similar decisions to make on a number of young players, like Schroeder, Dalpe and even Welsh.

Ya Price seemed somewhat decent too.

Schroeder & Dalpe will be back, Welsh who knows, but Sauve is definitely gone. Best of luck to him but its time to move on.

Smashian;

Dalphe and Schroeder will be back where, Utica or Vancouver? I have to think Utica. I actually see more potential in Dalphe over Schroeder.

I see more portential in Dalpe as well, he has high end speed, I see a cogliano kinda career from Dalpe

I don't think Suave's time is done. The kid is only 24 years of age, and injuries really hampered his development. Plus it didn't help playing on a struggling Comets team this year. I wouldn't read into stats too much.

Alot can still happen for this guy. He is built to be a solid stay at home defender, and I'm sure he can still keep improving. There are a lot of years left for this guy at 24 years of age. Re-sign him and allow him to keep playing tough minutes in Utica.

Smashian;

Dalphe and Schroeder will be back where, Utica or Vancouver? I have to think Utica. I actually see more potential in Dalphe over Schroeder.

I see more portential in Dalpe as well, he has high end speed, I see a cogliano kinda career from Dalpe

Maybe we sign them to AHL contract, as we could do with Sauve. Otherwise we could sign them to a two-way NHL contract and risk putting them through waivers.

Sauve is waiver eligible next year as well, although I guess if any of them really are borderline and we do lose them to waivers it's no different from not qualifying them. None of them have expensive qualifying offers, so it's not unreasonable they'd come back, but we'll have to weigh that against how many contract spots we have available under the 50 max.

• 9 months later...

is there a reason behind you being extra you today?

Just taking a peak at our Gillis era draft choices.

lul

He had a habit of picking up guys who fell in the draft. Instead of thinking 'Oh we will fix them.' he probably should have just picked a player who was not trending downward, because you want prospects to trend the other way.

What happened to Yann Sauve? Is he still our property? I see Icecaps and ECHL Solar Bears on his updated resume now. Bust?

Canucks didn't sign him last summer. He's an unrestricted free agent.

bust. Some say it was because of the car accident he got into, the fact that he wasn't even offered any contract from any leauge, kinda shows it's time for him to move on.

He had a habit of picking up guys who fell in the draft.

I remember in the summer of 2006 or something they were talking about up coming drafts, Sauve was neck and neck with Doughty.

Mike Gillis like Dave Nonis total fail when it comes to drafting, I just hope the last Gaunce, Horvats, Jensen all work out for the Canucks.

bust. Some say it was because of the car accident he got into, the fact that he wasn't even offered any contract from any leauge, kinda shows it's time for him to move on.

I remember in the summer of 2006 or something they were talking about up coming drafts, Sauve was neck and neck with Doughty.

Mike Gillis like Dave Nonis total fail when it comes to drafting, I just hope the last Gaunce, Horvats, Jensen all work out for the Canucks.

It's kinda sad and disappointing. I do remember his first prospect games and training camp, he was blazing out there, you kept hearing his name because he's just blasting shots at the net, being physical and doing what was expected of him.

Then he kinda just fell off the map. A few stints in the NHL and that was that. You can tell he has the size, speed and skills..... but just quite didn't have it between the ears. Obviously being hit by a hit didn't help none.

On the bright side, he does seem to continue on his hockey career with the signing onto an ECHL club being a testament to that.

Sauve is a good example of why hockey IQ is so important.

He had all the tools to be a successful NHL D-man. He was a smooth skater, he was strong and physical, and he had some untapped offensive potential. But his ability to read plays and react just wasn't there.

I'm sure management thought they could fix this problem during his development, but hockey smarts can only be taught so much. If a player doesn't get how to read basic plays at age 18, the odds of them being able to do it as the competition gets better is pretty low.

On paper you take Sauve all day long. I mean who wouldn't want a 6'3" 220 lb D-man who's fast and physical? Unfortunately size and speed don't matter if you can't play your position properly at the next level.

That's why I like our recent draft choices. Guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and McCann all seem to have great hockey IQ. This is what helps young players adjust to the next level. So even though a guy like Shinkaruk appears to be struggling right now, he's smart enough to know where he needs to improve going forward.

Cody Hodgson IQ though?

I actually thought Hodgson had good hockey IQ.

His problem seemed to be more of an ego thing. He seems like he thinks he's better than he is, which can make it hard on a coach.

It's funny because he seemed like this perfect kid who said all the right things when he was drafted. But as we all found out there were some hidden aspects to his personality that affected his development.

That's why coachability is important too.That may be one of the hardest things to scout about a player and where scouts earn their money.

Gillis dumped all over the kid and many people bought the talk. Most people forget that Gillis was building himself up by tearing down the kid. I heard no bad things against Hodgson till after Gillis opened his yap. Then it was dogpile time.

Archived