The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Windy?

Zigmund.Palffy

Yes, we live by panorama ridge/boundary park area in surrey. Using candles for light and about to lose a lot of food in our fridge/freezers

Buy a generator. I have one in case the power goes out to keep my aquarium and fridge going plus lights and heater ect ect . they are not that expensive to have and are quite useful. easy solution instead of sitting around in the dark.

Acts of nature will be cited in why your freezer food is not likely going to be covered in a claim. We, as individuals, are supposed to have a back up plan.

Stuff happens...if all we suffer during a storm where some have lost their lives is....we have to throw away food? Consider ourselves lucky?

Don't open your fridge/freezer during an outage. Also, have coolers and get some ice to hold you over. Or accept that stuff happens and, in the grand scope of it all, we have it pretty good. Those workers go out in there in that weather to restore power for us...let's show some patience?

I was feeling agitated too...but we made the most of it. Played lantern poker and other games and spent some time away from electronics. Not such a bad thing after all....

Out driving. Man, some people do NOT know what to do when they come to non-working intersection lights. 75% just blow through them without looking. If anyone else is out today please drive safe.

Do you live in Richmond or something? 95% of ppl having been driving safely from what I've seen. Edited by playboi19

Few things I've noticed. Many people have no clue how to drive during an outage or in emergency situations. Many seem to have no clue how the 4 way stop procedure works and hardly anyone pulls over and stops for emergency vehicles.

People complaining about food spoilage? LOL! It's only been roughly 24 hours. Your food should be fine unless you've been constantly opening the door. Had the power go out for 2 days years ago, food was fine.

People were in panic mode when debit went down yesterday. Some people expected food for free as they thought it wasn't their problem. Carry some emergency cash people.

People were freaking out at the local Starbucks because the internet was down and their phones/laptops were about to die, LOL!

Hopefully this is an eye opener for a lot of people. So many were not even prepared for a minor power outage. So many are going to be totally screwed if we have a major disaster.

• Upvote 1

Rumour is that the 911 lines are jammed with people phoning in asking when the power is going to be back on, reporting theirs is out, and asking silly questions like: should I pour my milk out now?

Could you imagine Vancouver if something that was actually bad happened bahahah! Glad I'm in Abbotsford I'd be on the highway out of town so damn fast.

• Upvote 1

Few things I've noticed. Many people have no clue how to drive during an outage or in emergency situations. Many seem to have no clue how the 4 way stop procedure works and hardly anyone pulls over and stops for emergency vehicles.

People complaining about food spoilage? LOL! It's only been roughly 24 hours. Your food should be fine unless you've been constantly opening the door. Had the power go out for 2 days years ago, food was fine.

People were in panic mode when debit went down yesterday. Some people expected food for free as they thought it wasn't their problem. Carry some emergency cash people.

People were freaking out at the local Starbucks because the internet was down and their phones/laptops were about to die, LOL!

Hopefully this is an eye opener for a lot of people. So many were not even prepared for a minor power outage. So many are going to be totally screwed if we have a major disaster.

Amen to that. It was actually revolting to see how many people were demanding BC Hydro pay for their spoiled food, how "if the power doesn't come back on soon I'll have no phone" and "Screw you BC Hydro, fix my damn power!!!". Nature happens, trees fall down. Generation Entitled clearly doesn't see the big picture, the trees that damaged peoples homes, cars took out power lines and even fell on a bystander. Things take time to repair. A bigger disaster will take longer to repair. Everyone was being reminded this week that 10 years later, New Orleans is still recovering from Katrina.

I will say the one thing I was guilty of not being prepared for is cash. I hardly ever carry it on me anymore. Thankfully I didn't require it yesterday but it was a reminder to throw some emergency funds into the 72 hour kit.

And I guess the good news so far is unlike the last big wind storm in 2006, our water supply is safe. Best to my memory there was a boil advisory for a week in some areas. I wonder who these entitled people will blame for that?

• Upvote 1

There are two ways things can go when disaster strikes (even on a small scale) - people can pitch in and have a sense of unity and try to work together to help right things or they can bitch, moan and complain like they're the only ones on earth who matter. They speak from a poor me half empty cup viewpoint rather than looking at the big picture while those around them make a positive impact on the world.

So your food's no good...there are people in the world who never get to know a fridge or food in it. There are people who died while out walking and playing when trees struck them. I actually find it offensive that some focus on their pitiful "loss".

The stories of people cleaning up the aftermath and helping one another in a caring/sharing way are inspiring and awesome.

The ones whining about a quart of milk ... not so much.