The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NBA Thread

EvoLu7ioN

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, I never realized this thread existed, should come to this part of the board more often.

Great to see the Raptors get the W tonight against, in my eyes, the best team in the NBA. They played well defensively and the crowd was pumped up.

Reading back a page and a bit, the debate about the Raptors tanking is interesting. Here are my two cents:

Tanking is not the way to go if I MU and the Raptors. The need to build a winning culture in Toronto and great an identity around being a hard working, blue collar team. Trading away players for the CHANCE to get one of the great freshmen in the draft is a very risky move. Looking at teams like Charlotte, Milwaukee, Washington, Minnesota, Orlando and Utah, they've all had top picks in the past few years and it really hasn't panned out for them (although the Wizards and Bobcats/Hornets seems to be turning the corner). Putting the hopes of the franchise in one guy is very ballsy and could blow up right in their face.

Look at Cleveland for example. Yes they got LeBron back in 2003, but they also picked Irving and Bennett with the 1st Overall pick in recent years, and haven't really gained much ground on the bottom feeders so to speak. Having the opportunity to make the playoff this year, and possibly the 2nd round if they get a favorable matchup, the Raptors would be out of their mind to try and throw this out the window. They haven't made the playoffs in ages, and with the All-Star Game coming in a few years, they need to keep that fan base attached to the team.

If the Raptors trade Lowry, DeRozan and other pieces to try and tank, and the draw of the ping pong balls gets them in the #5 position, they would look incredibly stupid. However, if some team comes forward with an offer that helps the organization going forward, with a young piece or some cap flexibility, without entirely hindering their playoff changes, they should by all means make those types of moves. But deliberately trying to lose is not the way to go, as the Basketball Gods won't take that too kindly.

We are on a hockey forum, so we could always point to the Oilers as a prime example of how having a top pick (or 3) doesn't necessarily guarantee any success.

Hope the Raptors keep this streak up, been playing with great consistency and intensity, and the results speak for themselves. Hopefully Casey and the boys get a chance to roll through the punches and just see what happens with this group of guys. The Rudy Gay trade has really lit a spark under them and they've been riding high ever since.

I hope to visit this part of the forum more often, and hopefully around the playoffs and the draft the discussion in here increases. Wish I had seen this earlier, but what can you do. I'll be sure to come around these parts more often.

Cheers,

RL.

I still find it funny that you considered Rudy Gay a star/superstar player, and that the team would be better with him. Also, how his salary didn't matter to the team and that he's a closer that we need (or chip kelly said that)

We all want to see this team be competitive. We still don't have a REAL superstar. I believe Derozan can be a #2 guy, but we need a guy like CB4 again. it's just impossible to attain one. Unless we spend 25+million on Melo, but that's never happening and doesn't make sense.

If they make the playoffs it will help and with Drake it will also help them to bring a true superstar across the border.

Drake and his showing support for the Raptors is a huge plus. He can attract the big names by getting them in the rap game.

Deng looks like an absolute win for the Cavs! Gave up Bynum (aka cap space) and a couple 2nd rounders for an all star veteran forward are you serious? I know he has an expiring contract and is looking for some big money but you gotta think Chicago could've gotten a bit more. Seems like they're looking to go a different direction, will be interesting to see if they amnesty Boozer for the complete rebuild.

Cavs get the small forward they needed who will hopefully help sort out some of the issues going on there with Irving and Waiters. Could only seem them improving with Deng. He'll bring some of the Thibodeau defence and intensity to pass on to the youngin's. Rest of the season will determine whether he stays or not.

Will this mean less minutes for Bennet :shock:

Deng looks like an absolute win for the Cavs! Gave up Bynum (aka cap space) and a couple 2nd rounders for an all star veteran forward are you serious? I know he has an expiring contract and is looking for some big money but you gotta think Chicago could've gotten a bit more. Seems like they're looking to go a different direction, will be interesting to see if they amnesty Boozer for the complete rebuild.

Cavs get the small forward they needed who will hopefully help sort out some of the issues going on there with Irving and Waiters. Could only seem them improving with Deng. He'll bring some of the Thibodeau defence and intensity to pass on to the youngin's. Rest of the season will determine whether he stays or not.

Will this mean less minutes for Bennet :shock:

That's what I was thinking..

832477570.gif

Look at that screen my gosh..

I think he just needs to go to the D-League. I just can't comprehend how he's shooting 27% and 2.5 ppg with 14% from 3..

Like what? Deb could probably hit two out of ten threes. He's not a bust yet, because it doesn't make sense to me how someone who looked promising in college would end up being as bad as he is now..

That's what I was thinking..

832477570.gif

Look at that screen my gosh..

I think he just needs to go to the D-League. I just can't comprehend how he's shooting 27% and 2.5 ppg with 14% from 3..

Like what? Deb could probably hit two out of ten threes. He's not a bust yet, because it doesn't make sense to me how someone who looked promising in college would end up being as bad as he is now..

Hahaha thats pretty embarrassing.

I agree, its way too early to call him a bust but man is he sure struggling to adapt to the NBA. The early predictions of him were that he could struggle to adjust because he's undersized for a PF but not quick enough to be a SF. An all too unfortunate tweener situation. I haven't watched a ton of the Cavs but he doesn't seem to have found out where he belongs or fits in so it just looks awkward.. and thats still no excuse to be shooting those numbers as that was supposed to be an upside.

Still hoping he figures it out. The first overall and first canadian #1 ever probably is adding a ton of pressure to perform right away. And seeing guys like Oladipo and MCW have quite a bit of instant success doesn't make it much easier

• 2 weeks later...

It's a day late, but I thought I would say something about the absolute brilliant welcome back for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce last night. Pierce had been my favorite player as long as I can remember and always represented the Celtics well with his play on the court and personality off. And to Kevin Garnett, even though, it was only 6 year, he provided that spark and tenacity that led to the Celtics NBA record 17th championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul George

Terrence Ross

Ben McLemore

John Wall

Damian Lillard

Harrison Barnes

Finally a decent line up for the Slam Dunk contest. LeBron James still pisses me off with the fact that he has never done the Slam Dunk contest. I would love a James, Durant, Griffin, Harden, Anthony, and George dunk contest but it doesn't look like something of that magnitude will happen.

Paul George

Terrence Ross

Ben McLemore

John Wall

Damian Lillard

Harrison Barnes

Finally a decent line up for the Slam Dunk contest. LeBron James still pisses me off with the fact that he has never done the Slam Dunk contest. I would love a James, Durant, Griffin, Harden, Anthony, and George dunk contest but it doesn't look like something of that magnitude will happen.

I agree, this lineup is great. But in response to your thing, yes those guys could do some crazy things, but I personally prefer to see guys like a Lillard in there. It is so much more impressive and surprising to me to see a 6'3 guy going nuts in a dunk contest. I expect 6'9 Kevin Durant to be able to dunk a basketball with ease, it's just not as impressive to me. Maybe it's just a personal thing though, what does everybody else think?

• 2 weeks later...

Horrendous Slam Dunk Contest!!!

What in the hell was that?! The line up was extremely promising, but the format and execution was a huge let down.

I'd rather they keep the basic format which led to the Dunk contest being awesome, instead of this garbage. East vs West is a terrible idea for a dunk contest, it does work for the other competitions.

Also, I hate that they went digital for the scores and that the final vote is now up to the fans.

GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FORMAT!!

Wow, that dunk contest was horrendous, lol. Why did they set it up like that? One dunk per person? At first I thought that all money-ball rack during the 3-point contest would've been the worst thing I saw today, but then the Dunk Contest had to be as abrupt as it was. So pointless.

Archived