The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NBA Thread

EvoLu7ioN

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dunk contest is a joke now. nobodies basically dunk now. i miss carter/ spud webb days

The lineup was not the problem today. It was actually pretty damn good. Not the best it could've been, but most people were shocked at just who was included.

It was the format that let them down. Pointless, and incredibly anticlimactic.

The lineup was not the problem today. It was actually pretty damn good. Not the best it could've been, but most people were shocked at just who was included.

It was the format that let them down. Pointless, and incredibly anticlimactic.

I honestly have to say that the highlight of the night was Chris Bosh nailing 2 half court shots in the Shooting Stars contest.

Roy Hibbert and Paul George are the 2 most overrated players in the east, I could back that up with facts.

I have to disagree with you on that one.

Hibbert averages 12 and 8 only, but it's not offensive stats with him, he also averages 2.5 blocks per game and alters countless other shots just by being nearby. Not only that he has the 3rd best defensive impact rating in the nba currently.

I do say George is slightly overrated, but just by the fact he is called a superstar by some. He is no LeBron, but he is pretty damn good. Averages 20+ points, over 6 boards, is one of the few upper tier nba players I would consider unselfish which is such an undervalued asset some players have (Toronto knows what I'm talking about) and he usually matches up with the other teams #1 perimeter option.

Is it just me but is the NBA all-star weekend way more about show than any substance?

The skills competitions were boring and the all-star game is just a score fest with no defense and intensity till the 4th quarter down the stretch.

They ruined the dunk contest with the East vs West battle crap. They should have had Wall, George, and Ross go up against each other in the final round to find the true slam dunk champion.

I'm sure they all had more planned than just 2 dunks. The dunk contest is a far cry from what it used to be.

They need to have a mini game to spice about the skills competition. Have 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 or even 3-on-3 East vs West team in playground style mini-games.

For example you could have say, a team of Lebron and Anthony vs Durant and Harden 2 minutes on the clock and see which duo can score more points against the other.

You could have Howard and Hilbbert in another mini game and the other two could be Curry for the west and Irving for the east for example.

People wanna see individual match ups because guys are more motivated when their pride kicks in and they don't want to get showed up by somebody.

With the mini-games there is no where to hide also. Can you imagine if even in a 2-on-2 mini-game Durant and Lebron went head-to-head on each other?

That would be huge news and great publicity for the NBA. Everyone would be talking based off the match up about who played better and is the better player now.

Then again if like the dunk contest the stars don't want to get shown up they could just used the teams from the shooting stars challenge and have an NBA legend, paired with a star player, and WNBA star and have them have a mini-game 5 minutes long and have 2 of those.

That gets the crowd involved see team vs team as well as the players competing in the mini-game and their benches too.

Is it just me but is the NBA all-star weekend way more about show than any substance?

The skills competitions were boring and the all-star game is just a score fest with no defense and intensity till the 4th quarter down the stretch.

They ruined the dunk contest with the East vs West battle crap. They should have had Wall, George, and Ross go up against each other in the final round to find the true slam dunk champion.

I'm sure they all had more planned than just 2 dunks. The dunk contest is a far cry from what it used to be.

They need to have a mini game to spice about the skills competition. Have 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 or even 3-on-3 East vs West team in playground style mini-games.

For example you could have say, a team of Lebron and Anthony vs Durant and Harden 2 minutes on the clock and see which duo can score more points against the other.

You could have Howard and Hilbbert in another mini game and the other two could be Curry for the west and Irving for the east for example.

People wanna see individual match ups because guys are more motivated when their pride kicks in and they don't want to get showed up by somebody.

With the mini-games there is no where to hide also. Can you imagine if even in a 2-on-2 mini-game Durant and Lebron went head-to-head on each other?

That would be huge news and great publicity for the NBA. Everyone would be talking based off the match up about who played better and is the better player now.

Then again if like the dunk contest the stars don't want to get shown up they could just used the teams from the shooting stars challenge and have an NBA legend, paired with a star player, and WNBA star and have them have a mini-game 5 minutes long and have 2 of those.

That gets the crowd involved see team vs team as well as the players competing in the mini-game and their benches too.

I have to disagree with you on that one.

Hibbert averages 12 and 8 only, but it's not offensive stats with him, he also averages 2.5 blocks per game and alters countless other shots just by being nearby. Not only that he has the 3rd best defensive impact rating in the nba currently.

I do say George is slightly overrated, but just by the fact he is called a superstar by some. He is no LeBron, but he is pretty damn good. Averages 20+ points, over 6 boards, is one of the few upper tier nba players I would consider unselfish which is such an undervalued asset some players have (Toronto knows what I'm talking about) and he usually matches up with the other teams #1 perimeter option.

Found this on twitter

Roy Hibbert: 11.8 pts, 7.7reb, 2.5 blk, 46% FG, $14,283,844

John Henson: 11.9 pts, 8.0 reb, 2.2 blk, 53% FG,

$1,905,360.

Found this on twitter

Roy Hibbert: 11.8 pts, 7.7reb, 2.5 blk, 46% FG, $14,283,844

John Henson: 11.9 pts, 8.0 reb, 2.2 blk, 53% FG,

$1,905,360.

Yeah so? Henson is having a really good year and making a name for himself. Just gets looked over because he's in Milwaukee. And like I mentioned these numbers don't look at all the things the presence of Hibbert does to his opponents.

And I don't think money can really be useful for comparing players when one of them is still on their rookie contract. Wait till Henson needs an extension and his dollar amount will be similar.

@theScore: The Toronto Raptors are reportedly exploring a way to acquire Celtics PG Rajon Rondo. http://t.co/dAmd6N8rJd

Wouldn't that be something. Risky but who knows, maybe it pays off? Only thing I don't get is why get Rondo when you already have Lowry playing as good as the top PG's in the game and not only that, he has 100 chemistry with the team. There's no certainty Rondo will have that and even if he'll want to stay in TO after which he likely won't.

On a side note, all-star weekend/game was amazing entertaining! I've cut down a lot on the NBA cause it's become so boring the product but the Allstar game made up a lot at least to me...first 3 quarters all fun and entertaining and then the last quarter was down to the wire.

Wouldn't that be something. Risky but who knows, maybe it pays off? Only thing I don't get is why get Rondo when you already have Lowry playing as good as the top PG's in the game and not only that, he has 100 chemistry with the team. There's no certainty Rondo will have that and even if he'll want to stay in TO after which he likely won't.

If they can find a way to get Rondo without giving up Lowry they'd have to go for it.

Yeah so? Henson is having a really good year and making a name for himself. Just gets looked over because he's in Milwaukee. And like I mentioned these numbers don't look at all the things the presence of Hibbert does to his opponents.

And I don't think money can really be useful for comparing players when one of them is still on their rookie contract. Wait till Henson needs an extension and his dollar amount will be similar.

He won't be getting 14 million that's forsure.

He won't be getting 14 million that's forsure.

Why not? He has 2 more years after this to continue to improve and get his pay raise up. It's not like Hibbert is getting top 10 money right now either. He has the 25th highest average salary in the NBA and out of all the post players (4's and 5's) he is #13. You don't think a 2nd year player averaging what he is right now can improve enough in 2 1/2 more years to get into the top 15 post players pay grades.

The only reason he may not (other than failure to further develop obviously) is that the salary cap I think may change with Silver hinting that he wants to implement a hard cap which I would love to see in the long run, but may hurt the game for the first couple of years while the teams above the cap would have to adjust.

Archived