The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

My wife and kids are 200km away from the epicenter. I was video chatting with my wife when the earthquake hit. It was the day of our eldest daughters junior high graduation. Luckily they're safe, but the damage is terrifying and the quakes have not stopped.

We've been in constant communication and she says there isn't even a moment where the earth isn't shaking. It's still ongoing and some of the shocks are almost as large as the original.

She has a wireless internet and laptop (like the Rogers internet stick) and she ran outside her apartment while still broadcasting and it was like watching something out of Cloverfield.

Even at this moment we're talking and no one can rest because within minutes another aftershock will hit. It's one after another. She says hundreds, maybe thousands. Buildings have collapsed and there is no food or water anywhere. The stores have been emptied. There is no gas or heat and there the relief is focused on emergencies, so there is a big shortage of supplies.

The strange thing is, I had scheduled to travel there for our daughters graduation but I was forced to postpone because of work. I was going to arrive 3 days ago. I don't know if that's providence or what.

So if anyone feels moved to donate to relief, I encourage you to do so.

Wow...

Edited by theminister

Holy! This can be bad, really, really bad if the nuclear plant explodes!!!

You can't even imagine. My wife and kids are in Gunma prefecture (188 km from Fukushima).

:( :( :( :( :(

Edit: I'm not going to lie. I'm on the verge of tears right now. I'm so scared for them, but I'm trying to be strong.

I was so relieved to find out they're safe and now I don't even know if the worst is over. I'm praying so hard that nothing else happens.

My wife and kids are 200km away from the epicenter. I was video chatting with my wife when the earthquake hit. It was the day of our eldest daughters junior high graduation. Luckily they're safe, but the damage is terrifying and the quakes have not stopped.

We've been in constant communication and she says there isn't even a moment where the earth isn't shaking. It's still ongoing and some of the shocks are almost as large as the original.

She has a wireless internet and laptop (like the Rogers internet stick) and she ran outside her apartment while still broadcasting and it was like watching something out of Cloverfield.

Even at this moment we're talking and no one can rest because within minutes another aftershock will hit. It's one after another. She says hundreds, maybe thousands. Buildings have collapsed and there is no food or water anywhere. The stores have been emptied. There is no gas or heat and there the relief is focused on emergencies, so there is a big shortage of supplies.

The strange thing is, I had scheduled to travel there for our daughters graduation but I was forced to postpone because of work. I was going to arrive 3 days ago. I don't know if that's providence or what.

Tell them to stay safe!

Any idea on what Canada's response is?

It is unbelievable to comprehend what would have happened had this earthquake occured in another less-prepared and underdeveloped part of the world

Apparently rail service is already up and running in some parts of the eq affected areas.

I don't even think BC could manage that after an earthquake. We're frighteningly unprepared

Question: Don't we have better earthquake proof buildings then Japan?

So sad to hear. I hope you're family stays safe and nothing happens to them, only God can do anything.

.....My first cousins in China right now, he's there for post-secondary as he's going to get his pharmacist degree, and we've called him last night and luckily, the phone's were still working. He says its all good, and that he's in a very safe place right now; the buildings earth quake proof that he's in, and he told us to keep on praying.

All my cousins and my family have donated lots of money, and its something without a doubt that everyone has to do! C'mon people, $1 dollar is better than $0, please donate! Its you're brothers and sisters who are out there, help them out!= as I guarantee you, if this happened in BC, we would need that help and the world would come to give us a hand.

Stay strong, donate, pray, and if anyone know's someone within the aftershock zones, God bless them and you!

You can't even imagine. My wife and kids are in Gunma prefecture (188 km from Fukushima).

Edit: I'm not going to lie. I'm on the verge of tears right now. I'm so scared for them, but I'm trying to be strong.

I was so relieved to find out they're safe and now I don't even know if the worst is over. I'm praying so hard that nothing else happens.

That's ok. There is strength in being vulnerable.

You have some sympathetic ears here, if you need them.

Gunma is on the Kanto plain, right? Pretty rural?

Wow I was just reading your other post. That is insane how you were video chatting with your family when it happened

I'm really sorry that you're having to go through this. But at least your family is safe and hopefully you'll get to see them soon.

I'll say a special prayer for you guys :)

I doubt it. Some of our buildings are ghetto. I remember reading a few months ago that half the public schools in Vancouver wouldn't stand a chance in even a moderate earthquake

Don't think so. Japan is a heavy earthquake area so they take great precautions for earthquakes. An earthquake like that over here would be more damaging to the buildings in this city.

My bad man, its a very small chance of happening, the army has it under control!

I feel you're pain, as my cousins abouts there too; Also, letting out tears isn't bad, every man has done it in his life, I've also let them out in the past couple of hours.

.....Look at some funny forums on the site, its what I'm doing. Things are going to be good, just keep on praying.

Edited by NucksFan - 4Life

I was shocked to hear about the earthquake this morning, and I was fearing for some Japanes friends I made in Vancouver. When the initial information wasn't that clear, I also feared for Vancouver, where I have spent one of the best times in my whole life. But family is a whole different thing. We all hope that your loved ones are okay and stay safe throughout the aftershocks! Some bad things have to happen, I guess, but people have the strength to help each other out, when bad things are upon us.

I don't know but most buildings seem to be still standing in Japan unlike in Sichuan. Most of the casualties seem to be a result of the tsunami and Vancouver would be spared from a tsunami considering that it is inland. An massive earthquake with an epicentre in Vancouver is unlikely looking at the fault lines. In the case of Japan, it seems almost anywhere is densely populated and it is all exposed to tsunami.

Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png