The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

One thing the old NASL did right, was it tried creating development programs in NASL cities. MLS seems to only want imports, and US College players. Can't the Whitecaps look around some local and CIS programs and see if we can find some Canadian players that just need a chance to play? Or would they just not be good enough?

This team needs an injection of talent, skill, and teamwork. The fans are the best part of the team.

• Upvote 1

If this team and the MLS doesn't do something very quickly like improving the talent level on all teams it will most certainly follow the NASL into obscurity. Not enough talent, grass roots, or imported, I'm convinced that it will always be a third or fourth tier league, charging first and second tier prices.

Calling Bobby and Whitecap ownership, I'm losing interest, and quickly.

Could be worse I suppose, we could have 9 coaches in 9 years, and have a guy like Dafoe wanting to go back to the EPL.

The entire off season was spent selling the fans on Defoe coming to play, and replacing Nelsen with an even more inexperienced coach while still fighting for a playoff spot? Truly a disaster for TFC.

One thing the old NASL did right, was it tried creating development programs in NASL cities. MLS seems to only want imports, and US College players. Can't the Whitecaps look around some local and CIS programs and see if we can find some Canadian players that just need a chance to play? Or would they just not be good enough?

This team needs an injection of talent, skill, and teamwork. The fans are the best part of the team.

They already do that. The players they find go into the youth and PDL programs. They are not even close to the skill level required for MLS.

Great news, Bobby is happy that the team is one point out of the playoffs, a game in hand, and all this with a new coaching staff. Sounds like he's happy with mediocrity, he should be asking the fans what we think. This guy lost out on three different head coaches during the off-season, then started to spin how Robinson was the guy anyway. We'll see how Perry S holds this teams feet to the fire, for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

Here is more spin-doctoring from Bob Lenarduzzi on behalf of his absentee bosses in today's Vancouver Metro:

"Over the course of the season, you know that with youth comes adversity and that's what we're suffering right now. We're not going to abandon the long-term plans simply because things have, almost predictably, gone a way that you would expect when you have young players."

I certainly hope Bobby doesn't believe what he's saying. Just look at the Edmonton Oilers and all their talented youth.

What if the 'Caps youth development only goes as far as it could? Then what??? Has Bobby not told his invisible investors that the club is in MLS, not in the USL Development League?

I thought it was sad when we let Miller go, but I didn't think it would be a massive issue, because we'd replace him with someone. Didn't realize it would be no one.

How nice it would be to have a competent striker out there, eh? Or a management team that at least gave a shit.

Time to welcome back #20, Willie Johnston, one of the greatest character players in Vancouver sports history.

After all these years, we Whitecaps fans are still "Moonstruck" with "Wee Willie".

So, if you're at today's game vs DC United, raise your cup of beer and salute one of the most popular Whitecaps ever. :)

Time to welcome back #20, Willie Johnston, one of the greatest character players in Vancouver sports history.

After all these years, we Whitecaps fans are still "Moonstruck" with "Wee Willie".

So, if you're at today's game vs DC United, raise your cup of beer and salute one of the most popular Whitecaps ever. :)

Lol..loved Willie..I remember this game like it was yesterday.....he was so talented with the ball he could probably nutmeg a player in a phone booth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ckZUpGoNI

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 2

^ doesn't seem like it. I know it's their job, but I almost got angry when I saw the Whitecaps' headline....as if it's a good thing they drew for a point! Also, the team seems allergic to shooting the ball? Seems they cross to nobody quite a bit...