The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Brian White has been absolutely terrible thus far, but Cordova has yet to look like he's an upgrade in any way. One of those factors needs to change, or the Caps will be 0-3 after next week's match-up.

Agree on White.  Right now, an awful lot depends on Cordova.  If he can't score, where are the goals going to come from?  :sadno:

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: Next up for Vancouver is a Champions League match-up against Real Espana (Honduras) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's televised (Unless OneSoccer is carrying it. I can't find anything on their site, though)

Yes, 7pm on Wednesday at BC Place.  FUBO carries OneSoccer and I checked their tv guide and it indicates that OneSoccer is carrying the game.

• Thanks 1

<thud>

So much for the hope that Wednesday's scoring outburst would carry over to MLS.

A 1-1 draw with Dallas and the Caps only goal was a Dallas own goal.

As usual, the Caps had their scoring chances and, as usual, they couldn't put them away.

Yes, a draw is better than a loss.  But you're not going to win many games if you only score one goal a game.

The Whitecaps play the second game of the CCL round of 16 against Real Espana tomorrow (Wednesday).  3:00 on OneSoccer.

With their 5-0 lead from the first game, this should be a simple formality.  But it is the Whitecaps we're talking about.

The bad news is:  the Whitecaps lost to Real Espana 2-3 today.

The good news is: it doesn't matter.  Coming into the match with a 5-0 lead, it means the Whitecaps won the series 7-3 and are advancing to the CCL quarterfinals.

The bad news is: the Whitecaps will be facing LAFC in those quarterfinals.    

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The bad news is:  the Whitecaps lost to Real Espana 2-3 today.

The good news is: it doesn't matter.  Coming into the match with a 5-0 lead, it means the Whitecaps won the series 7-3 and are advancing to the CCL quarterfinals.

The bad news is: the Whitecaps will be facing LAFC in those quarterfinals.    

The one positive I took from that match (and granted, I was only able to watch the highlights) was the goal by White. That's how you expect your striker to bury an opportunity....

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad that yesterday's game against Montreal wasn't available on network tv because Simon Becher's first start was a memorable one and as many Whitecap fans as possible should have been able to see it.  Two goals and an assist!   Plus, Becher was the one who caused the red card against a Montreal player, who had to tackle Becher to stop him, in the first half.  He's also the fastest player in league history to score his first four MLS goals, doing so in 87 minutes of game action.  Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but we may have our star striker.

• Cheers 1

Whitecaps play tomorrow (Wednesday) against LAFC in the first leg of the Concacaf Champions League quarter final.  The game is available on OneSoccer and FUBO at 7pm.

Normally, I'd expect the Whitecaps to get blitzed.  And they'll be the underdogs, no doubt.  But I am eager to see how Becher performs against a full strength good team.

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The Whitecaps game tonight against Portland is available on TSN - 7:30.

Small victories.....

TBH, I had pretty much checked out on the 'Caps already. I'm not interested in paying for a subscription service just to watch a team that doesn't seem to care a whit about it's fans. I can't remember the last Whitecaps match that was available on cable, but that should tell you something right there.

This ownership group needs to go. The franchise is going to continue being a joke until someone who cares about more than just the bottom line takes over....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I had pretty much checked out on the 'Caps already. I'm not interested in paying for a subscription service just to watch a team that doesn't seem to care a whit about it's fans. I can't remember the last Whitecaps match that was available on cable, but that should tell you something right there.

I think a lot of people may agree with you.  I read an item in another group that stated that Apple has only signed up 40% of their inital projection.  I don't know what their initial projections were but, If true, I imagine there are some serious discussions going on at Apple.

That being said, tonight's game should be worth checking out if only to watch the new kids:  Simon Becher and Ali Ahmed.  They're both showing a lot of promise in the early going.

Assuming they start.  With Vanni you just never know.

Edited by UnkNuk

41 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I think a lot of people may agree with you.  I read an item in another group that stated that Apple has only signed up 40% of their inital projection.  I don't know what their initial projections were but, If true, I imagine there are some serious discussions going on at Apple.

That being said, tonight's game should be worth checking out if only to watch the new kids:  Simon Becher and Ali Ahmed.  They're both showing a lot of promise in the early going.

Assuming they start.  With Vanni you just never know.

I'll be switching back and forth between Soccer, Baseball and Hockey. I haven't totally given up on watching the 'Caps....I'm just not as invested as I would be if I could watch every game....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'll be switching back and forth between Soccer, Baseball and Hockey. I haven't totally given up on watching the 'Caps....I'm just not as invested as I would be if I could watch every game....

I hope the baseball and hockey games were more entertaining than the soccer game.

But at least they won.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hockey was entertaining. Baseball....not so much.

I actually watched more soccer than anything else. I fully expected to see White's goal called back as well. That's the kind of game it was....

The Whitecaps play Austin on Saturday at 5:30.

As it happens, Vancouver's other and newest soccer team, Vancouver FC, opens its inaugural season in the Canadian Premier League on Saturday at 4:00.  They're playing Pacific.  CPL games are broadcast on OneSoccer and fubo.

I'll probably check it out.  To be honest, I didn't even know Vancouver had a team in the CPL until a couple of months ago.  And while I was aware the CPL existed, I've never paid much attention to it. 

Vancouver FC will be based in Langley where, apparently, they're building a 6500 seat stadium.

Let's hope Vancouver FC has more success than the Whitecaps have had up til now.

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

As it happens, Vancouver's other and newest soccer team, Vancouver FC, opens its inaugural season in the Canadian Premier League on Saturday at 4:00.  They're playing Pacific.  CPL games are broadcast on OneSoccer and fubo.

I'll probably check it out.  To be honest, I didn't even know Vancouver had a team in the CPL until a couple of months ago.  And while I was aware the CPL existed, I've never paid much attention to it. 

Vancouver FC will be based in Langley where, apparently, they're building a 6500 seat stadium.

Let's hope Vancouver FC has more success than the Whitecaps have had up til now.

And there is a chance that Vancouver FC could face the Whitecaps in the Canadian Champions this year.  The match 3 winner will face the Whitecaps in the Quarter Finals round.   Match 3 is York United vs Vancouver FC on April 19th.  Quarter Finals are in May.

I'd love to see a Vancouver derby.

https://canadasoccer.com/events/canadian-championship/

• Cheers 1

On 4/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, UnkNuk said:

As it happens, Vancouver's other and newest soccer team, Vancouver FC, opens its inaugural season in the Canadian Premier League on Saturday at 4:00.  They're playing Pacific. 

And neither Vancouver team scores a goal.  :sadno:

(Although, to be fair, both games were okay entertainment.)