The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

who do you guys reckon would be the modern-day equivalent to a Keane or Vieira in midfield? it seems like the most highly regarded midfielders are known primarily for their offensive ability rather than being a dominant defensive/holding midfielder?

Makelele was fantastic at that role too. Talk about being an unsung hero.

Recently Pogba got a lot of comparisons to Vieira. Both have similar playing styles, although Pogba is a bit more attacking oriented than Vieira.

Oh hello, Chelsea. Still parking the bus as always? :)

who do you guys reckon would be the modern-day equivalent to a Keane or Vieira in midfield? it seems like the most highly regarded midfielders are known primarily for their offensive ability rather than being a dominant defensive/holding midfielder?

Makelele was fantastic at that role too. Talk about being an unsung hero.

Javi Martinez without a doubt. Best holding midfielder in the game. Probably won't play at all this season which is a damn shame.

Yes Makalele was the anchor in that Chelsea side. Matic is a great holding midfielder as well, but not as commanding as Keane and Viera used to be. Don't really see any Controlling / hard men / leaders as such in todays teams.... Pogba may turn into one.

Had a quick look at 2014 WC squads, and to be honest there is nobody that stands out...

Edited by spook007

In terms of skill and play style, Pogba fits the bill of being a Vieira/Keane.

Matic and Javi Martinez are also physical monsters who's influence in the midfield usually impact how the game goes. I'd also add Yaya Toure to the list, but he's been used more as a CAM in these past few years than a holding/defensive mid.

Not the best in the world, but De Rossi is pretty similar in stature to Keane and plays a very edgy, gritty style of play in the mid and is perceived as a leader at both Roma and the national team. Scweinsteiger and more recently, Lahm have been regarded for their strong defensive play in the midfield. Xabi Alonso as well, but I don't really recall him playing gritty or very Keane-like.

Christopher Kramer looks promising.

Edited by Not Alain Vigneault

Manchester City being a joke again in this competition

Meh.

Did what they could without Toure but no one realistically expects them to compete with a Barca squad looking for blad after that 1-0 defeat.

Manchester City being a joke again in this competition

yep so much of a joke that we went down to 10 and didn't get scored on. So much of a joke that we lost by only one goal without one of our best players in the line up, and not starting another.

I'm not saying City played great but a joke is a stretch.

The again; I'm sure is refering to last season against barca, personaly I'd love to see our manager play our best team and manage to not have a red card in one match and I think we'd come away with the win.

Meh.

Did what they could without Toure but no one realistically expects them to compete with a Barca squad looking for blad after that 1-0 defeat.

I think they have to, at least, compete with them.

yep so much of a joke that we went down to 10 and didn't get scored on. So much of a joke that we lost by only one goal without one of our best players in the line up, and not starting another.

I'm not saying City played great but a joke is a stretch.

The again; I'm sure is refering to last season against barca, personaly I'd love to see our manager play our best team and manage to not have a red card in one match and I think we'd come away with the win.

Well, Messi missing the last one I don't think is on City and, watching the game, nobody would be surprised if they were 4 down at the half. I think people need to ask for more to those players.