The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Happy to see Zlatan back at Utd. It remains to be seen if he will perform to the same level as before, but it can only be good to have Zlatan for another year, while Rashford and Martial matures. Also think Lukaku will benefit from Zlatan. If Utd are down or drawing with 15-20min to go, expect us to go with long balls into the box... Lukaku, Zlatan and Chimney sweep up front... dangerous.

And bang goes Dembele.... the curse of Dortmund. Its a feeder club, which is really unfortunate, as they could really have challenged Bayern, if they could hold on to their stars... In saying that if the figures over £130million are true, no wonder they let the boy go.

I agree. Mourinho can go with various formations once Ibra returns. He's going to return better than ever whenever he may hit the pitch which is projected to be in the 2nd half of the season as expected. definitely a luxury for Mou. Lukaku has been a beast so far and I am loving the move even more. he's a goal scoring machine and what's even better is that he has much needed Champs League experience with Wolfsberg (briefly), Chelsea.. so good around the 18 yard box and even better finishing ability inside. 

yup no luck at all. reminds me when Bayern stole Hummels from Dortmund. he was one of the favourite players back when he was playing for them. I'll be pissed if some giant throws money on Pulisic as he's starting to be developing into a star though don't think Dortmund will let him go without paying the price. but it is justified to let Dembele go when you get that mammoth of fee for him. I'll take the money and run any day lmao

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canucks3322 said:

So many players will be getting criticized every game due to their transfer fee, also can't believe we got Pogba only for 89 last yearB)

Its actually almost funny... The press loves when a big fee has been paid and then start sharpening the pencils...

Pogba got slated last year for how he played, but with most of these players its the potential that you pay for.

They are nowhere near fully developed, Pogba was 23 and when he reaches his peak in a few years he may very well be one of the best players in the world. He has definitely stepped up a notch this season.

Dembele is only 20...and has massive potential. Still believe a big slice of this fee is due to Barca needing someone to calm their fans down.

56 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

There is the added pressure, but in this instance it isn't even the transfer fee that's the issue for me. It's fantastic money for Dortmund to get in considering what they paid for him just over a year ago.

It's his attitude that stinks. I hate it when I see a player sign a contract and then throw their toys out of the pram whenever a big team comes in for them. You signed a contract so be prepared to honor it. He's young so maybe one day he'll look back and regret it.

This is so true... same as the badge kissing numpties... We love this club and then 20 min later they refuse to play. Disgusting.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

There is the added pressure, but in this instance it isn't even the transfer fee that's the issue for me. It's fantastic money for Dortmund to get in considering what they paid for him just over a year ago.

It's his attitude that stinks. I hate it when I see a player sign a contract and then throw their toys out of the pram whenever a big team comes in for them. You signed a contract so be prepared to honor it. He's young so maybe one day he'll look back and regret it.

Exactly his attitude was disgusting, however that's modern day football, moreover when you sign a contract it's just to increase the buyout clause for some players, however it is good money for Dortmund!

Watched some of the 1st half of today's United match in which was my 1st match I've watched and I'm impressed with how the team is playing. Didn't finish the rest of the match but their link up is so flawless right now and they're connecting their passes with ease. Matic continues to be a rock in front of the back line. Lukaku is really good with holding the ball up and linking it up to his other teammates. Blind and Valencia are really good at whipping crosses while not forgetting their defensive duties. This Instagram post says everything about how the lads are doing:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canucks3322 said:

Exactly his attitude was disgusting, however that's modern day football, moreover when you sign a contract it's just to increase the buyout clause for some players, however it is good money for Dortmund!

Without a doubt its good business. 

Its the fans i feel for... Kids buy their shirts and have posters on the wall of these players and they just stick two fingers up to them.

It was either Nasri or Adebayor who shifted from Arsenal to Man City, and one of the first things they did, was to slag off the Arsenal fans saying the Man City fans were far better. 

I'm not an Arsenal fan but found that really disgusting. The fans, who used to adore them got hung out to dry. totally classless....

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Watched some of the 1st half of today's United match in which was my 1st match I've watched and I'm impressed with how the team is playing. Didn't finish the rest of the match but their link up is so flawless right now and they're connecting their passes with ease. Matic continues to be a rock in front of the back line. Lukaku is really good with holding the ball up and linking it up to his other teammates. Blind and Valencia are really good at whipping crosses while not forgetting their defensive duties. This Instagram post says everything about how the lads are doing:

Utd is on fire... looking good just now. Mourinho got them back to where they belong. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Mbappe to PSG on season-long loan with "option" (obligation?) to buy next year at $200m

nice way to dodge FFP, I guess?

Even more shocking: Arsenal's performance today

"Former Arsenal full-back Lee Dixon, now working for US television network NBC, said it was the worst performance from the club he had witnessed since retiring in 2002."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-28/arsenal-now-unwatchable-liverpool-4-0-thierry-henry/8847796

I didn't see the game.  From the sounds of things, I was lucky.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

"Former Arsenal full-back Lee Dixon, now working for US television network NBC, said it was the worst performance from the club he had witnessed since retiring in 2002."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-28/arsenal-now-unwatchable-liverpool-4-0-thierry-henry/8847796

I didn't see the game.  From the sounds of things, I was lucky.

thierry henry had a very similar reaction. meanwhile, sanchez is laughing about it on the bench. again!

arsenal need to clean house, and they should start from the top

wenger-things.png

Andriy Yarmolenko it is. Contract until 2021. 25 million €. We wanted to have him back in 2014 and 15 but Kiev said no the last day.

Fast, tall and big bodied winger. For his height a very strong dribbler with a good finish. Already 27 and by far the best player in the Ukrainian league since we got Mkhitaryan back in the day. Expected him to make a move to a big league way sooner, he definitely has the talent for it. But Kiev doesn't pay bad wages and he's the absolute star in the Ukraine.

We'll see if he makes the transition smoothly. It is his first time in a big league after all. Even if he's already 27. But a type of player we don't have on the roster yet. And for 25 million that seems a reasonable transfer. Plus it still leaves us with a sh** ton of money to spend in the winter and/or next summer. And those are always our best transfers.

21 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Mbappe to PSG on season-long loan with "option" (obligation?) to buy next year at $200m

nice way to dodge FFP, I guess?

Even more shocking: Arsenal's performance today

Typical $&!# with the FFP.... Should be hammered for it.

With regards to Arsenal... It was a totally inept performance. Team seems totally out of sink. Think this happens when you got disruptive/selfish players like Sanchez in you team. Nobody was really interested in tracking back and with the defence having a bad day as well, it was like stealing candy from kids. 

Wenger will be severely scrutinised after a this performance, but the players need to take a long hard look at them selves...

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Typical $&!# with the FFP.... Should be hammered for it.

With regards to Arsenal... It was a totally inept performance. Team seems totally out of sink. Think this happens when you got disruptive/selfish players like Sanchez in you team. Nobody was really interested in tracking back and with the defence having a bad day as well, it was like stealing candy from kids. 

Wenger will be severely scrutinised after a this performance, but the players need to take a long hard look at them selves...

And the flak from the 4-0 drubbing continues:

"In the 25 years of the Premier League, no top team have been attacked for unprofessionalism on the scale of Arsenal since their 4-0 defeat at Liverpool."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/arsenal-flops-sinking-lower-into-the-abyss-36079167.html

• Upvote 1