The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

Football needs to follow the times. You are absolutely right. The fear has always been the stoppages that it could cause v what kind of incident. But with easy things, like offside, ball over the lines, mistaken identity, clear cut dives as well as dirty tackles, raised arms, penalty decisions (where ref has been blind sided) etc. calls can be made within a few seconds, and more importantly, it takes the heat off the referee. The players will always protest any decision and often ends up getting a call at a later stage...

The ref needs to get all the help he can to make it a fair contest... 

Could have been useful in today's Stoke/Arsenal game.  Lacazette scored what should have been the tying goal but was ruled offside.  He wasn't.  And Arsenal loses 1-0.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Could have been useful in today's Stoke/Arsenal game.  Lacazette scored what should have been the tying goal but was ruled offside.  He wasn't.  And Arsenal loses 1-0.

And 2 clear handballs that were missed. Horrible officiating cost Arsenal 3 points

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Yes there could be a case for it in todays game. However, according to former ref Howard Webb (i believe it was), Lacazette was technically offside, so might not had counted regardless... not sure about that though. 

Regardless, at least the ref would not be hung out to dry for these decisions, if they had used video ref. 

Believe the video ref gave Bayern a pen in their Bundesliga match against Leverkusen, but not sure as I didn't see the match.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

And 2 clear handballs that were missed. Horrible officiating cost Arsenal 3 points

Actually the two biggest penalty claims were probably the two times Diouf slipped and clipped first Wellbeck and later Bellerin. 

Fair to say the ref weren't kind to the gunners...

Edited by spook007

Not a bad game for Neymar in PSG's 6-2 win over Toulouse.

He scores two, kicks a corner that sets up another, makes a nice assist on yet another, and draws a penalty kick that's converted.

Highlights (in Spanish) can be seen here:

http://hoofoot.com/?match=PSG_6_-_2_Toulouse_2017_08_20

If you don't want to watch all 12 minutes of it, jump to the 11th minute and watch his second goal - the guy might have a future in soccer.

• Upvote 2

Gareth Bale to United rumors will keep running until he gets more playing time at Madrid or realized like Neymar he will also be a supporting actor playing next to a galactic star.

I wonder how badly United want him or if this is his agent trying to leverage a bigger role for his client.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/844012/Manchester-United-transfer-news-Gareth-Bale

6 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

wayne rooney retires from english national team

english national team supports breathe a sigh of reflection (and relief)

He's gotten off to a nice start this season with Everton.  Two games, two goals.

Full UCL group stage draw:

Group A

Benfica

Man Utd

Basel

CSKA

Group B

Bayern

PSG

Anderlecht

Celtic

Group C

Chelsea

Atletico

Roma

Qarabag

Group D

Juventus

Barcelona

Olympiacos

Sporting CP

Group E

Spartak

Sevilla

Liverpool

Maribor

Group F

Shakhtar

City

Napoli

Feyenoord

Group G

Monaco

Porto

Besiktas

RB Leipzig

Group H

Real

Dortmund

Tottenham

APOEL

• Upvote 1

yeeeeees! so happy to have Ibra back on a 1 year deal. once he recovers from his brutal knee injury that needed surgery, he and Lukaku can form a formidable duo up top in our already deadly attack. it might take some time to get used to one another but it will eventually work out. elated to have gotten this done. we can easily have one of the best attacking teams in the world. that's how good we would be when Ibra gets healthy.

@Lateralus91 I feel for you and Dortmund. having the Spurs in the group too doesn't make things easier either. i still think Dortmund will get by to the Rnd of 16. we got one of the most youngest, deadliest teams in the world and once kids like Dembele (if he stays), Pulisic, Mor, etc continue their development in the right direction, I could see the team being a threat for CL and the team is already one in Bundeliga. only a matter of time

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

yeeeeees! so happy to have Ibra back on a 1 year deal. once he recovers from his brutal knee injury that needed surgery, he and Lukaku can form a formidable duo up top in our already deadly attack. it might take some time to get used to one another but it will eventually work out. elated to have gotten this done. we can easily have one of the best attacking teams in the world. that's how good we would be when Ibra gets healthy.

@Lateralus91 I feel for you and Dortmund. having the Spurs in the group too doesn't make things easier either. i still think Dortmund will get by to the Rnd of 16. we got one of the most youngest, deadliest teams in the world and once kids like Dembele (if he stays), Pulisic, Mor, etc continue their development in the right direction, I could see the team being a threat for CL and the team is already one in Bundeliga. only a matter of time

Not afraid of this group, to be honest. Real has yet to beat us at home and Tottenham didn't look very good 2 years ago in the Europa League against us. Very confident we'll make the Round of 16. It's just that that will be our 13th and 14th duels since 2010 against Real. It has become quite annoying to say the least. Fun fact: When the group stages are over we will have played Real more often than Schalke since 2010.

Poor Barcelona. They lose their star young player and now have to go through the process of getting embarrassed by Juventus again. 

Poor Messi. Will he ever win another individual trophy?

Man United should make a $180 million bid for Messi. Give him some hope that he can maybe win another trophy before he retires. 

23 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Happy to see Zlatan back at Utd. It remains to be seen if he will perform to the same level as before, but it can only be good to have Zlatan for another year, while Rashford and Martial matures. Also think Lukaku will benefit from Zlatan. If Utd are down or drawing with 15-20min to go, expect us to go with long balls into the box... Lukaku, Zlatan and Chimney sweep up front... dangerous.

And bang goes Dembele.... the curse of Dortmund. Its a feeder club, which is really unfortunate, as they could really have challenged Bayern, if they could hold on to their stars... In saying that if the figures over £130million are true, no wonder they let the boy go.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Hope Dembele flops at Barca.

Spoiled little brat.

Out of +'s... but here's one for you +1.

Thats the way its going in football... Loyalty is almost none existing. Look at Coutinho... The agents have a lot to answer for.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

anything Barca needs to do to dethrone Real Madrid is good enough for me. not a Barca supporter at all, but i cannot stand Madrid

Dembélé to Barca as good as official. €105m + 40% = €147m in total. I can live with that. But this transfer period Barca has shown its real face. Veratti, Dembélé and Coutinho on strike or open rebellion. Coincidence? I think not? I used to like Barca more than Real as well. Not anymore.

Anyhow. I'm curious about our replacement. Maxwell Cornet (meh), Draxler (just for f*n with Sch*lke, otherwise please no), Luan (never seen him play) or Malcom (alright) the candidates.

• Upvote 3