The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torres

zejono

Wow, I know people will say it's karma for the Keith hit, but Keith is Keith and Hossa is Hossa. Hossa has never dished out a dirty hit like Keith has, and you hate to see anyone stretched off the ice. Hopefully he's ok.

Now to the hit itself, I like Raffi but he can be an idiot sometimes. The hit here wasn't a direct headshot, but it was a tad late and he did leap into the air to make the hit - that's a big no no. Hossa's neck whipped pretty hard, wouldn't be surprised to see one of those whiplash/concussion type injuries. I can see a suspension coming for this one, especially if you look at his past history.

I agree with some of the posters here. 10-15 games minimum for a hard check to the head. It's well established that players can easily miss that amount of time with a concussion, so any hard check the head automatically begets 10-15 for first time offenders. Ramp that up with you continually run around like a wild man, well see what team wants to employ you if you're missing over half a season due to suspensions.

And to the people say that this is old time hockey...get with the times. Old time hockey was NEVER this fast. Players going at slower speeds are less likely to get tagged in the head because you have time to ensure that you hit the body. Torres and Hossa are going so fast that Torres can't predict where he's going to hit Hossa so he should minimize contact, NOT explode up into him. Torres left his feet after the hit and that is the main crime and why he'll be suspended. (hmm, don't really remember any "old time" hockey hits where players left their feet)

If you compare this to other recent plays aroung the league (intentional elbow to Sedin's face, weber face smashing into the glass, etc) Torres should get a small fine, maybe 1 game suspension max. Reasons why the NHL will once again throw consistency down the drain and spin the suspension wheel yet again:

1. Hossa is a star player. If Hossa was a nobody this wouldn't be news.

2. Torres is a perfect scape goat. He's a nobody and he's easy to hate.

3. The Blackhawks are one of the NHL's "posterboy" teams.

The NHL is becoming a laughing stock pro sports league. It will be difficult for me to spend any money watching NHL games in the future. I'm losing interest.

Lets break it down again.

HOssa gets hit 1 second later. Something we see a lot, as players taking a hit or check shortly after making a pass. 95% of tthe time it is not a "late hit"

It's a big deal right now cause Hossa had to leave on a stretcher.

No late hit.

Hossa had puck possesion. (He's all game)

Was not a blind side hit.

Principle of contact, was should shoulder to shoulder. You can freeze video's over and over again, he actually hits his shoulder first, then there a follow through.

Suspension? I don't even know there's going to be a suspension. If Shea Weber gets away with grabbing Zetterberg and slaming his head onto the boards, then he will probably get away with making a body check to a player who had the puck.

So lets see what happens.

As I said, your team has been know to take cheap shots and play dirty int he past. Did they deserve Daniel to go down? By your standards yes. Reason: Your team did the same thing in last year's playoffs. Remember that boarding hit behind the net in last year's playoffs? By your standards, what goes around, came around for Daniel.

Ahhhhh boohoo poor Chicago fans. Doesn't feel so good when the shoes is on the other foot does it hahaha.

And that hit wasn't near as bad as old Duncan "Bertuzzi" Keith's cheapshot.

Sop up all your medicine Hawk fans I hope it tastes good. :emot-parrot:

If Dustin Brown gave that hit, we wouldn't be having this discussion! I'm tired of people coming on here saying their disappointed with peoples reactions to injuries...1) Keith purposely targets Sedins head2) Shaw purposely targets Smiths headKharma's a bitch, and alls fair in love and war...F@ck you Chicago!

Some people are really scaring me with the whole "karma" or protecting him because he used to be a Canuck or a simple dislike of a Hawk therefore justifying the hit. You need to rise above that sort of thing in order to be respected as a fan. You need to think about it, you make your more logical fellow fans look bad with that sort of mentality. Eye for an eye mentality just gives the opposition a reason to say "well see the Canucks fans think this is okay" regardless of who starts it it will turn into pointless bickering. You need to have a bit of class. I hope Hossa gets well soon.

Do not try and justify it by pointing out they did it to one of your players. That sort of mentality is childish and leads to escalation of the problem. Have a bit of class and just hope for the best for Hossa. Honestly you are all making your fellow fans look bad when you cheer this sort of behavior or try and justify it.

Some people are really scaring me with the whole "karma" or protecting him because he used to be a Canuck or a simple dislike of a Hawk therefore justifying the hit. You need to rise above that sort of thing in order to be respected as a fan. You need to think about it, you make your more logical fellow fans look bad with that sort of mentality. Eye for an eye mentality just gives the opposition a reason to say "well see the Canucks fans think this is okay" regardless of who starts it it will turn into pointless bickering. You need to have a bit of class. I hope Hossa gets well soon.

Most posters feel bad about Hossa and are trying to be objective about teh hit. Trying to turn this into the Nucks taking cheap year afshots last ter Keith's hit to Daniel is pretty lame. Go to the Chicago boards if that's the discussion you want to have.

BTW - what did you think of Shaw's hit targeting Smith's head last game? Smith is an all-star for Phoenix and if he had been concussed their chances are gone. Chicago is no better than many teams out there and worse than some when it comes ot cheap shots.

Do not try and justify it by pointing out they did it to one of your players. That sort of mentality is childish and leads to escalation of the problem. Have a bit of class and just hope for the best for Hossa. Honestly you are all making your fellow fans look bad when you cheer this sort of behavior or try and justify it.

guys,

dont flame, as i'm truly asking this question, because i'm not familiar with what a "good hockey hit" is, and what a dirty hit is really, unless it was the philly game where elbows etc.. were obviously flying...

From the video, i see Torres hit hossa with his head down, but i dont see torres lifting elbows and hitting the head, but he did jump up to hit him....so how come you guys are upset at this hit? i'm seriously asking because i dont really get where the line is drawn?

Archived