The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Olli Jokinen

I know I might get ripped for this, but I honestly think that Olli Jokinen would be the perfect, and most realistic signing to fill in that 2nd line center for while Kesler's out. What about a 1 year contract worth $3.45 million?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Jokinen - Jensen

When Kesler gets back

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Jokinen - Kesler

Thoughts?

Having watched Jokinen for years down in Florida, I actually really like this idea.  He's really adapted his game to fit in with the "new" NHL and he knows what it takes to play in a Canadian market.  If he can put up 50+ points on a weak Calgary team in recent years he could be a great fit on that second line.  

He seems to be like a forgotten man when people are talking about UFAs.  He could be a cheap, short-term contract and you know Mike Gillis would like that.  With the right players around him and a good, positive environment to play in, he could be a GREAT player for the Canucks.  IMO it's worth the risk you would take on the guy.  It would be worth having him there even for the 10-15 games Kesler is out.  Cheap, veteran guy who has offensive skills.

Great proposal!  +1

"Kesler is expected to "make a full recovery in six months," according to a release from the Canucks, meaning Kesler could be out of action throughout the month of October."

The Canucks season usually doesn't start until November <_<. So why worry?

Player-wise, it's not a bad fit. However, Jokinen is basically the best free agent center on the market this year, and just came off a strong year. Why the hell would he even consider taking a paycut, let alone on a 1-year deal?

And besides that, when Gillis was questioned why he didn't pursue Olli when he was traded to Phoenix, he publicly stated that they had issues with his purported character. Even if that was true (and it looked to be, considering his lackluster play until last season), and Jokinen has improved on it, I don't see either side jumping at this.

Archived