The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Mason

With all this talk about how much we want Rick Nash, would CDC approve of also acquiring Steve Mason in part of the deal or just in general.

Steve Mason is a goaltender who is a bit of a risky gamble but who could still work out. I mean he has shown that he does have a lot of talent and finesse but that maybe a little back up time would do a lot for him.

If Luongo leaves, most people expect us to ride the hell out of Schneider and have Lack stay as backup. However with someone who could either split duties with Schneider or just play a solid backup, Steve Mason is your guy. This way Cory won't be thrown directly into a 60 game workload. If Mason looks promising, we would be able to ship him when Lack has a few more seasons in the AHL and is NHL ready.

If Schneider leaves, Luongo will need a backup. Steve Mason is young and still able to play solidly. Under our system, he may mature into a great goaltender. He is quite young and frankly much more proven than Eddie Lack. He may be a good choice and possibly the future goaltender when Luongo's deal is up or when Lou is run out of town if we don't get a Cup next year.

Thoughts?

what ever steve mason isnt even a goal tender he is a bar tender.. why?.. cuz he be servin out goals like its an open bar ha ha, columbus blue jackets what a joke of an organization, but straight up. You will not see a trade occur between Columbus and Vancity because Nash doesnt even want to play for the Canucks, he gave his list didnt he and Toronto was on that list. He is from Brampton Ontario a suburb of Toronto so Im pretty sure he'd choose them.

what ever steve mason isnt even a goal tender he is a bar tender.. why?.. cuz he be servin out goals like its an open bar ha ha, columbus blue jackets what a joke of an organization, but straight up. You will not see a trade occur between Columbus and Vancity because Nash doesnt even want to play for the Canucks, he gave his list didnt he and Toronto was on that list. He is from Brampton Ontario a suburb of Toronto so Im pretty sure he'd choose them.

trade Lui, then sign Vokoun for 2 years 3 mil as a backup. He's been a solid starter throughout his career and has loads of experience. He's a guy the team can lean on if Schneider struggles or falters at times.

If Luongo is traded I would want somebody with more experience to be our backup, Cory is a great goalie but he hasn't been a starter at the NHL level yet apart from 3 games during the playoffs.

I think the UFA route is the way to go. I'd rather see an extra 3rd round pick come in the deal than a goalie to be honest when there will be quite a few on the market this summer. Hopefully this get's sorted soon. Cory or Luongo, either way I will still be a Canuck fan.

I really think Lack is ready. Maybe split the starts 25 for Lack, 55 for Schneider? He is already 24 years old, has had 2 successful AHL seasons as a starter (with solid playoff performances) and 4 years of pro experience in the SEL (three in the second division). Interesting note - a 42 year old Ed Belfour backed-up a 19 year old Eddie Lack in 07-08.

The kid needs a change in scenery, and I'm sure he'd do us just fine playing in 20 games but not at that price.

This guy could have a Mike Smith-like breakout any year now, but he would need to change teams and get out of the defensive crap-hole that is Columbus.

Schneider and Hansen for Nash and Mason is very possible, but I'd much rather go for a quality defenceman and that's something Columbus doesn't have.

The kid needs a change in scenery, and I'm sure he'd do us just fine playing in 20 games but not at that price.

This guy could have a Mike Smith-like breakout any year now, but he would need to change teams and get out of the defensive crap-hole that is Columbus.

Schneider and Hansen for Nash and Mason is very possible, but I'd much rather go for a quality defenceman and that's something Columbus doesn't have.

Archived