The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gragnani, does he have a spot on this team?

yogolol

Not yet, he has to earn it, and his play down the stretch was inconsistent so there's no way he's a lock. We already have Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Alberts, and Tanev signed who are better options, as well as the possibility of Salo or Rome returning, and perhaps a defenseman being acquired in the Luongo/Schneider trade. So it seems that Gragnani would have to come to camp focused and in great shape to crack the opening night lineup... most likely he'll be a healthy scratch/injury call up

I saw way too many give aways but he seems to have a lot of potential based on what happened in the AHL. I think a 7/8 spot is reasonable to work him either in or out of the regular lineup

as long as Ballard's here he will be a healthy scratch. If Ballard is dealt or injured *knock on wood* he will compete for a spot. He has potential to be an "Ehrhoff" type of player perhaps playing with Edler but I think the best fit with Edler would be a right handed, big, physical defenceman.

He is surprisingly big for an offensive defenceman. I'd like to see him bulk up a bit more, put some more muscle on that frame and play a bit more physical. He could end up being a poor-man's Edler which would be fantastic for this team.

However I still hope MG goes out and gets us one or two solid, defensive stay-at-home defencemen, either in the offseason or the deadline because that's how you win in the playoffs.Tanev and Gragnani shouldn't have to play in the playoffs.

No, I see Gragnani as a huge downgrade on a player like Ballard. Even though Ballard has struggled the last two season he's a solid defenseman when on his game. Gragnani is smaller, less responsible, and easier to move off the puck. He's a solid acquisition for his offensive upside if we can get him for cheap but in my opinion we gave up a far better defenseman in Sulzer to get him.

Although, Sulzer didn't fit with our system, I'm glad to see him in Buffalo where I think he'll do great there. To me Gragnani still falls behind Alberts and Rome on our depth chart and has a long way to develop before he's defensively responsible enough to be anything more than a healthy scratch for the majority of the season.

At the trade deadline we heard what a great young puck moving defenceman he was. Holy smokes I'm not sure about that. He was on the #1 PP unit and looked very uncomfortable. Just like I don't think Kas should be starting with the club I think MAG should start in the AHL so they get minutes of playing time instead of 8 shifts a game with the big club. If MG believes in MG talents for the future, this means we are getting younger on the d and have no need for that bag of pucks known as Luke Scheen!!

Archived