The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie's Draft Special 2012

Thomas Wilson is on the Hockey News at #25. Hopefully someone will make an off the board pick and he'll fall to us.

I do wish Laughton and Pearson were a little bit bigger.

Devin Shore, Brock McGinn, and Brady Vail look intriguing as well. Damon Severson looks good for a D prospect for 2nd or 3rd round.

So what is this McKenzie's list or Buttons?

Yeah, there's a lot of tall kids in this draft, but I liked the write up on Wilson:

Tom is a player who makes opponents very uncomfortable when he's on the ice. He has an undeniable determination and desire to impact the game through physical play. Combine that with a body that complements his desire and you have a 'wrecking ball' type player. It's a purposeful style that can be intimidating but is very effective because he creates room, not only for himself, but for his team. He understands how to utilize these attributes whether along the boards, at the offensive net, or by separating opponents from the puck so his team can gain advantages. His skating continues to improve and he gets to the necessary places so as to create the literal and figurative impact in the game. Very good sense and he doesn't run around aimlessly and his puck skills should not be underestimated because with the room he creates, he also can finish. He's a disruptive force and a unique player because he makes the game fun, just so long as you are not an opponent.

Thomas Wilson is on the Hockey News at #25. Hopefully someone will make an off the board pick and he'll fall to us.

Devin Shore, Brock McGinn, and Brady Vail look intriguing as well. Damon Severson looks good for a D prospect for 2nd or 3rd round.

I really like Koekkov, Sissons, Frk and Gaunce. Realistically all these players are in our range, Koekkoek might go earlier but his injury (shoulder) could really put him anywhere in the top 30. Late round picks this year are real gems if only because there is no consensus within scouting services or NHL teams for that matter.

I was reading an article in a Toronto paper that Gillis has yet to make an impact on this team since the core is primarily built by Burke/Nonis. I rolled my eyes at first but then I started to think what Gillis could do to really make an impact, and that might include something massive at the Draft.

Regardless, the aforementioned players are all real gems. If anything I would like to see Gillis land another late round pick or early 2nd.

Another note: every goaltender ranked in the top 30 by ISS is 6'4 or above, with the exception of Subban. Are we seeing a trend that goaltenders will continue to get bigger?

Question for the real hockey geeks, the trade which sent Arniel to Columbus landed us a second round pick right? Is that for this year's draft, next years or have we already dealt it?

Gaunce is the one I really want, can't go wrong with 6'2 215 and point per game stats. Fingers crossed!

McKenzie isn't saying Grigorenko will fall to 12, that's just where McKenzie thinks he ranks in terms of the talent of other draftee's. The mock draft happens tomorrow night, where team's needs and draft position are factored into a real prediction as to how the draft will unfold.

McKenzie isn't saying Grigorenko will fall to 12, that's just where McKenzie thinks he ranks in terms of the talent of other draftee's. The mock draft happens tomorrow night, where team's needs and draft position are factored into a real prediction as to how the draft will unfold.

Archived