The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

He is in the mould of the player we need, so good signing on that basis.

The price puts me off.. but I guess mad money is thrown around at nearly everyone now a days. Probably eliminates us from one of the big names out there though unless we trade Lou for peanuts which isn't a good idea, he's still a good goalie.

He gave a six year deal to a player who has had a number of very good defensive/physical seasons and increasing offensive numbers. I'd expect him to play with Edler so I don't see a large drop off in points production but I don't expect an increase either.

This deal is similar to Hamhuis', and we can expect he'll play similar to Hamhuis for us over the length of that contract. People only see his increased offence from last year and think he's done nothing else in the NHL. He was a top shutdown defender for Florida in his time there, hitting, blocking shots, and clearing the front of the net. The offence (along with his big shot) is a bonus.

Hard to describe him in a sentence but that comes pretty close.

Good to see a local kid wear the Nucks jersey. Canucks only have a narrow window to win and glad to see Gillis trying to assemble the best team he can. Probaly the best and most affordable option and is a big improvement on Salo! However Garrison does not have a rich NHL resume for a 27 year old and is a bit of a gamble. Looking forward to the start of the season in October!

Local boy. Could have cashed in for more bucks elsewhere. Hamhuis 2.0. You have to love it when guys like this play for your team. It shows a spit ton of character to make that move. I would have liked to see prust come here but we would have had to bump an equally as effective player to fit him so okay. Plus im a habs fan so win win.

Blackhawks fan here...

Solid signing, I'm a big Garrison fan and I'm jealous that the Canucks got him instead of the Blackhawks. Garrison may appear to be a bit risky, but I think he'll be stellar and likely the best value of all top end UFA defensemen signings. At least I'll get to see Garrison play a lot on TV now.

Congrats Canucks fans, your GM did good.

Uhh Edler and the Sedins>>>Campbell

I think you're overrating Campbell a little bit. This guy was dynamite on Florida's powerplay, and now he's coming to one of the best powerplays in the league.

Hometown discount, good job. Meanwhile Salo went off to chase the big bucks, dissapointing. Garrison is a huge upgrade on Salo whichever way you look at it, but now the Canucks desperately need a veteran on the blueline. Allen would have been perfect...

For the money, no.

I do find it hilarious that people are crediting Campbell for Garrison's success.

I seem to remember Garrison playing with Mike Weaver a season ago, and Garrison was great at shutting teams down.

It's pretty obvious that Garrison has more abilities than just "Score on PP" and that's more than I can say for slow ass Dennis Wideman.

Archived