The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Speaking of Stats, to me this one is pbbly one of the most amazing stats in hockey.

OV is 1 of 5 players to score 300 goals and 300 assists in his first 6 season.

OV is the only player in history who didn't play in the 1980's and still scored 300 goals and 300 assists in his first 6 seasons.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy and Kurri all played in 1980's.

http://www.hockey-re...order_by=points

Well, it is the status on my profile page. You wouldn't believe the questions I get from some people even though I have the link right there.

I'm the first to recognize that a fair number of the people on CDC weren't even alive when that movie came out, however.

Comparing stats from different eras is pointless. Roy and Brodeurs stats for GAA are quite a bit different because Roy played for 8 seasons when the average Art Ross winner had 170 points just prior to Brodeur entering the league.

Brodeur played for 5 seasons before Lu entered the league where the average Art Ross winner had 128 points per season. In Lu's 12 seasons there has not been 1 Art Ross winner get 128 pointswith an average of 109. The average Art Ross winner during Roys career was 158(not including the strike shortened season) and yet Roy's and Lu's career GAA for regular season are nearly identical at 2.54 with Lu at 2.52 and Roy having a quite a significant advantage in playoff numbers at 2.30 compared to Lu's 2.53.

This pretty much reinforces my Luongo vs. McLean argument though.

Roy played roughly the first 10 years of his career in a high scoring NHL (same as McLean) and yet he and Luongo's regular season stats are nearly identical and Roy's playoff stats are noticeably better. Luongo has played his entire career in the dead puck era and the current version of the NHL, which is leading down the same path.

Luongo's stats are better than McLean's, but by very little in the playoffs and not in every category.

This is why I disagree with whoever says Luongo is the best goalie we've ever had without question. I choose McLean with Luongo coming in second.

Comparing two goalies in different eras makes too many assumptions to be very valid. Lu has benefited from enhanced systems but there is no proof that he would not have adjusted his game to what he would have faced back in the '80's.

What a give-away.

You definitely just one-upped - ironically with one of the worst proposals ever.

Keith is as inconsistent as Edler is. He went from a Norris candidate to borderline mediocre in a big hurry. Personally I wouldn't give you anything more than Edler alone for Keith (and wouldn't make that deal either - certainly not when you take into consideration Keith's 13 year contract). Keith looks like he may have high water marked at his Norris season and hasn't resembled that player since.

Edler is three years younger and is just surfacing - give Edler more stability, ie. put Edler with a guy like Seabrook and see what happens. We may just get to witness that this year if he and Garrison are healthy and play a full season together. I prefer Edler's comparable scoring ability combined with the fact he has the ability to be a physical force (throws three times as many hits. )

Keith has one of those notorious albatross contracts - he signed it right after his Norris season and then plummetted 24 points and dropped to a -1.

Luongo for Keith straight up was a far better proposal than yours.

Can we stop with the "just surfacing" crap with Alex Edler? The guy's 26 years old and not showing any signs of being any less aloof; in fact, it's probably getting even worse, if these playoffs were any indication.

It's very unlikely that he'll show up to camp this year and be any different than what he's always been. Guys generally are what they are. Alex Edler is a guy with impressive physical gifts, and a very well-rounded game, but he's a space cadet. He spends far too much time in la-la land, often resulting in critical errors leading to goals.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but I'd sure rather have Duncan Keith on my team than I would Alex Edler.

Archived