The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

Tystick

You've got to be joking. One of life's greatest experiences? Smoking weed? Guess what, I made that statement fully aware of what smoking is like. I've tried it before. Average pot, the best pot, all the same it did nothing for me and I found it to be a profuse waste of my time.

Going to bed every night with the girl of my dreams, traveling the world, one day building something with my own hands - now those are life's greatest experiences. Puffing a joint, getting wasted, or doing any of this other trivial nonsense isn't one of them.

Just as a note to all those that are against legalization citing that it is harmful to the health as it hurts the lungs, there are other ways to use Marijuana including ingesting and vaporizing which pose no risk to the lungs.

I don't smoke or use marjiuana in any form, nor do I really care if its legal or not I just would like to point out that something being harmful to the health must not be high on this list of points of whether something is illegal or not. Case in point is energy drinks such as monster and red bull which are even called "natural health products". Tobacco - duh. Alcohol - perhaps a primary factor in most domestic violence cases, not to mention liver and other diseases stemming from overindulgence. Herbacides and Pesticides, Mercury Amalgam fillings (we have known since ancient times Mercury is Toxic), Radiation expose from Xrays and CT scans, the list really goes on.

My only point is, is that there is no way that Marijuana is illegal because of the small health risk it poses to chronic users.

I did not watch the 2 hour movie but I remember learning that the true reason Marijuana is illegal is due to document that was produced by Weyerhauser (Paper Manufacturer - capatalist) who saw that hemp was far superior to tree paper in every way and feared the loss of enterprise. He went on to link hemp and marijuana together and lobbyed to have them both made illegal.

Guest BuckFoston

Either you're lying or it didn't work for you the first time (which is common). Either way, you didn't experience it the same way myself and others have. I don't disagree with you, those are great life experiences, but you're limiting yourself. Pot is more than just getting high and eating chips. It brings out the positivity in everything, it's incredible.

I've spent time reading up on it. No one really knows for sure what causes Psychosis, so it's hard to correlate. However, I remember reading somewhere that it has been statistically proven that there is no relation between the two. The increase in marijuana usage in the past 50 years has risen by something like 60% (don't quote me on it), and the rate of psychotic developments had remained if not decreased by 5%.

Years of use, not 30 days :picard:

the idiocy level of this thread just keeps moving along :rolleyes:

anyone can assume this or that would happen if it was legalized, but the reality is no one will know until it is, so keep dreaming and puffing away :picard:

we already have enough morons in this country who make bad decisions without the use of marijuana, legalizing it would only make problems worse, any argument suggesting otherwise is not even worthy or a reply.

My point is that you are hung up on an altering substance that plenty of people do not need. Now you are trying to argue that without it I can't be positive, I can't enjoy life to the fullest, ect. That I need the extra enhancement to really bring all that stuff forth. This is simply not true. If you need it, that's fine. But I am not limiting myself. I am not missing out. In fact, any other junkie will preach to me the same things about their drug of choice. And they have.

It is one thing to believe in it, it's another to start telling other people they are living unfulfilled lives because they don't care to smoke doobies with you. I find it disturbing that you are this passionate about some grass which in itself may indicate you have a problem.

Man you really have no idea what your talking about. I'm guessing you've never done any research on the substance, and you didn't watch the video I posted above like I asked you too. Legalizing Marijuana would have an extremely positive change on the country, it's pretty predictable on what would happen. Hemp is one of the fastest renewable energy resources in the world.

Here's some facts:

• Hemp produces impressive yields of material - up to 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year

• It can be used as a fodder for stock

• Hempseed has high levels of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, essential fatty acids and trace elements.

• Hempseed oil comprises nearly a third of the seeds' weight; making it a viable source for cooking oil, lighting and bio-fuel.

• Hempseed oil is also beneficial as a body care product and can be made into soaps, conditioners and lotions.

• The stalk provides a very strong, durable and rot resistant fiber that has been used in the shipping industry for centuries. As hemp can grow over ten feet tall, the long fibers are perfect for rope.

• The short fibers of the stalk can be used in textiles as a replacement or blender fiber for cotton.

• The core of the stalk can be used to make paper and organic plastics.

• The woody core, known as hurds, can be mixed with lime, sand, plaster and cement to create a very strong concrete or building bricks.

• The core fiber can also be utilized in producing a fiberboard that is twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard.

• The stalk can be used to make methanol and ethanol

• Hemp can be planted as a crop for restoring the fertility of fields in the process of stock rotation.

• Given its fast growth (up to 13 feet in 90 days), hemp may also be useful in carbon sequestration - taking carbon out of the air and putting it back into the earth.

• Hemp is a great insulation material that can be applied in the wall cavities and roof spaces of houses as a replacement for fiberglass batts.

• The flowers and leaves are used to make medicines for treating many ailments such as glaucoma and cancer sufferers can be prescribed it to ease pain.

As for your argument on making issues worse, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. The biggest issue in the drug trade is the sales of Marijuana, legalizing it would eliminate that completely. Think about it, if it was properly distributed by the Gov't, and still made illegal to grow more than 2 plants, there would be no money made in the sale of Marijuana for the underground market.

Next time do a little research. Read a book. You don't just post an uneducated statement and say "Anything that can match this response, isn't worth my time" like some egotistical, childish, closed-minded prick.

All drugs should be legal...

If I'm doing marijuana, heroine, cocaine, etc in my own home, I'm harming no one. Besides, who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do? The government has no place in making choices for me.

Where's Tommy Chong when you need him? ;)

Seriously though, as one poster already pointed out, there's not been a single death, other than an allergic reaction attributed to the use of marijuana...but the reason it will NEVER be completely legal, is too many people would lose too much money (from kickbacks and other sordid ways) and they simply will never allow that to happen.

I don't think that there is any evidance that indicate it is a permanent situation, but marijuana induced psychosis is an acual diagnosis. Most psychiatrist like to see an individual clear of pot for 6 months before considering a diagnosis of schizophrenia. There are indications that marijuana exacerbates the symptoms of schizophrenia and should be avoided by individuals that have the illness.

It is not unusual for some people to (temporarily) inherit these symptoms when smoking pot. Who knows what happens to these individuals if they become chronic users.

At the very least, it is clear that some people should avoid marijuana, just as others should avoid alcohol (or any other mind/behaviour changing substance). Brain chemistry is very susceptible to changes.

I highly suggest you watch Cannabis the Evil Weed a BBC documentary on the lies of the dangers and positives of herb. Americas definition and research of this natural substance is full of propaganda and lies. Pot psychosis is a complete fallacy. It is in fact anti psychotic in nature. The Cannabinoids and Cannabidiols that are present in marijuana are all generally pain inhibitors. Did you know that your receptors in your body are made up of nearly 90%THC receptors ? So many people have it all wrong . I am not saying to smoke the whole world up, but the benefits far out weigh the negatives. Just like many things in this world it is not for everyone. It needs to be regulated and studied to the fullest extent.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabinoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMnTURDlTWo

Man you really have no idea what your talking about. I'm guessing you've never done any research on the substance, and you didn't watch the video I posted above like I asked you too. Legalizing Marijuana would have an extremely positive change on the country, it's pretty predictable on what would happen. Hemp is one of the fastest renewable energy resources in the world.

Here's some facts:

• Hemp produces impressive yields of material - up to 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year

• It can be used as a fodder for stock

• Hempseed has high levels of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, essential fatty acids and trace elements.

• Hempseed oil comprises nearly a third of the seeds' weight; making it a viable source for cooking oil, lighting and bio-fuel.

• Hempseed oil is also beneficial as a body care product and can be made into soaps, conditioners and lotions.

• The stalk provides a very strong, durable and rot resistant fiber that has been used in the shipping industry for centuries. As hemp can grow over ten feet tall, the long fibers are perfect for rope.

• The short fibers of the stalk can be used in textiles as a replacement or blender fiber for cotton.

• The core of the stalk can be used to make paper and organic plastics.

• The woody core, known as hurds, can be mixed with lime, sand, plaster and cement to create a very strong concrete or building bricks.

• The core fiber can also be utilized in producing a fiberboard that is twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard.

• The stalk can be used to make methanol and ethanol

• Hemp can be planted as a crop for restoring the fertility of fields in the process of stock rotation.

• Given its fast growth (up to 13 feet in 90 days), hemp may also be useful in carbon sequestration - taking carbon out of the air and putting it back into the earth.

• Hemp is a great insulation material that can be applied in the wall cavities and roof spaces of houses as a replacement for fiberglass batts.

• The flowers and leaves are used to make medicines for treating many ailments such as glaucoma and cancer sufferers can be prescribed it to ease pain.

As for your argument on making issues worse, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. The biggest issue in the drug trade is the sales of Marijuana, legalizing it would eliminate that completely. Think about it, if it was properly distributed by the Gov't, and still made illegal to grow more than 2 plants, there would be no money made in the sale of Marijuana for the underground market.

Next time do a little research. Read a book. You don't just post an uneducated statement and say "Anything that can match this response, isn't worth my time" like some egotistical, childish, closed-minded prick.

I've worked in the mental health field for over 22 years. Believe me, there is a condition called cannibus induced psychosis. And marijiuana can complicate the symptoms of schizophrenia. I've seen it with my own eyes many times. I've ovserved people in a severe paranoid state, thinking they hear others saying demeaning things to them, receiving messages from music or video after smoking pot.

I'm not suggesting that this happens to everyone that smokes it, but like other substances, it can effect some people in a negative way.

I'm not an ignorant prude talking out my ass. You can watch your video all you want. I am only stating what I have seen in REAL scenarios.

Watching biased documentaries and reading Wikipedia is not research.

I'm with Buck on this one. For the record, I don't care if you smoke or not, I have friends who don't, and friends who do, but I, having smoked it before, will never do it again. I noticed memory problems that affected my schooling after a while of smoking, and the decisions I've made under the influence of the drug have been resented by not only me.

I have found that I am much happier, with a brighter outlook on the world after deciding to stop and focus on things that really matter. I can safely say that I'm a lot more optimistic and cheerful, and enjoy life more now than when I smoked pot.

Archived