The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

At that point I just keep him. But if course I'm not the GM.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That will go up as injuries hit.

I don't know, a 5th or 6th in the NFL is almost like a 2nd or 3rd in the NHL, if I was the Jets I'd take that deal.  Be nice to see him get another chance though wherever that may be. 

I still hate Fantasy Football, much like Hockey pools I just cannot muster any interest.  I love the sports but never cared for pools/drafts.  Maybe it's because I play hockey/football simulators and they are far more in depth?  Who knows lol.  All I know is I can't stand those fantasy nerds on NFL networks, they look like they couldn't even catch a 5 yard pass. 

• Thanks 1

Would you guys rather have regular season allstar qbs like Rivers, Dalton, Stafford, etc 

Or qbs that win in the playoffs but don't put up numbers like Eli or Flacco? 

Of course every team would prefer a Rodgers or Brady but I'm interested in hearing how you guys think about the midde of the pack qbs. 

16 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Would you guys rather have regular season allstar qbs like Rivers, Dalton, Stafford, etc 

Of course every team would prefer a Rodgers or Brady but I'm interested in hearing how you guys think about the midde of the pack qbs. 

Rivers and Stafford have the talent to win in the playoffs. It's just a matter of execution from their teammates and coaches that I'd say have failed them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Van40 said:

Way too much blame gets put on QB's when they lose in the playoffs.  If Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer can QB a Superbowl winning team so could Rivers, Dalton and Stafford imo. 

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Way too much blame gets put on QB's when they lose in the playoffs.  If Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer can QB a Superbowl winning team so could Rivers, Dalton and Stafford imo. 

I mean, Dalton is more than capable if he isn’t getting sacked 40+ times a year. 

So I just googled worst QB's to win a Super Bowl:

https://fansided.com/2018/01/31/10-worst-quarterbacks-ever-win-super-bowl/6/

10. Eli Manning

9.  Mark Rypien

8.  Terry Bradshaw

7.  Joe Flacco

6.  Jim MacMahon

5.  Jeff Hostetler

4.  Jim Plunkett (who? lol)

3.  Brad Johnson(wow totally forgot about him)

2.  Doug Williams

1.  Trent Dilfer(only QB to win and not get resigned)

I can honestly say I've never heard of Jim Plunkett lol.  Washington, Baltimore and NYG have two QB's on this list. 

Edited by Tre Mac
Forgot about Baltimore

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So I just googled worst QB's to win a Super Bowl:

https://fansided.com/2018/01/31/10-worst-quarterbacks-ever-win-super-bowl/6/

10. Eli Manning

9.  Mark Rypien

8.  Terry Bradshaw

7.  Joe Flacco

6.  Jim MacMahon

5.  Jeff Hostetler

4.  Jim Plunkett (who? lol)

3.  Brad Johnson(wow totally forgot about him)

2.  Doug Williams

1.  Trent Dilfer(only QB to win and not get resigned)

I can honestly say I've never heard of Jim Plunkett lol.  Washington, Baltimore and NYG have two QB's on this list. 

Rick rypiens cousin right? 

Also I put foleson there before manning. 

Edited by 73 Percent

19 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Rick rypiens cousin right? 

Yeah, I remember reading Mark Rypien texted his brother Wes to call his mother when Rick passed.  And it came out this year that Mark attempted suicide in the past:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) Former Super Bowl MVP Mark Rypien said he has attempted suicide, hired prostitutes and suffers from persistent depression. Now, he’s wondering if he sustained brain injuries while playing football. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/former-super-bowl-mvp-mark-rypien-says-he-attempted-suicide-033018

So sad.  I also had no idea he was Canadian:

He is the first Canadian-born quarterback to start in the NFL and win the Super Bowl MVP award, doing so in Super Bowl XXVI. 1991 was Rypien's best season; he threw for 3,564 yards and 28 touchdowns with 11 interceptions, leading the Redskins to Super Bowl XXVI after recording a 14-2 regular season record. He was named the MVP (Most Valuable Player) of the game, passing for 292 yards and 2 touchdowns and leading his team to a 37-24 win over the Buffalo Bills. Rypien, a native of Calgary, Alberta, became the first foreign-born player to earn the honor

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

Rivers and Stafford have the talent to win in the playoffs. It's just a matter of execution from their teammates and coaches that I'd say have failed them. 

Both of those guys underperform in the playoffs though. Almost all of their major numbers go down.The eye test backs it up too. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I didn't even know who Jeff Hostetler was tbh. 

In five playoff games, he completed 72 of 115 passes (62.6 percent) for 1,034 yards, seven touchdowns, no interceptions, and a 112.0 passer rating while going 4-1.

Hostetler seems like a guy who showed for the postseason. Maybe the lack of pressure helps these types of qbs??

Dilfer was carried by a top 3 defense of all time. Guys like Dilfer, are the rare exceptions. He was really trash.

Edited by Van40

2 hours ago, Van40 said:

Rivers is hof qb who really hasnt had the team  since 08. If he has got the horses then he can win.

28 minutes ago, Isam said:

Rivers is hof qb who really hasnt had the team  since 08. If he has got the horses then he can win.

Maybe if they focused more on building a defense around him rather than catering to his needs on offense all the time he could finally win. 

3 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Maybe if they focused more on building a defense around him rather than catering to his needs on offense all the time he could finally win. 

They have. Bosa and ingram are two of the best ends in the game and the secondary is putting up similar numbers to the legion of the boom. But you still need an oline to protect the qb. This year they finally seemed to address that. 

5 hours ago, Van40 said:

bad take. Their defense is stacked up front and in the secondary. LB's imo are mediocre at best (Although, I think Chenna Nwosu is a str8 baller)

Edited by ReggieBush

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

bad take. Their defense is stacked up front and in the secondary. LB's imo are mediocre at best (Although, I think Chenna Nwosu is a str8 baller)

Wasn't talking about this year. Rivers will choke when it matters anyway. 

5 hours ago, Van40 said:

31 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Wasn't talking about this year. Rivers will choke when it matters anyway. 

These are conflicting statements. Why don't you figure out exactly what your opinion is and then let me know.

13 hours ago, Van40 said:

Where does Nick Foles stack up? He should at minimum get honorable mention as a bad career qb but hot streak playoff performer.

He's had the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in the sport.

There is some debate that the Eagles first Super bowl win now was more luck or fluke with the gimmicky rpo offence and Foles getting red hot and breaks in how the road to the Super Bowl shaped up etc.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Where does Nick Foles stack up? He should at minimum get honorable mention as a bad career qb but hot streak playoff performer.

He's had the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in the sport.

There is some debate that the Eagles first Super bowl win now was more luck or fluke with the gimmicky rpo offence and Foles getting red hot and breaks in how the road to the Super Bowl shaped up etc.

He is in that group as well. 

Gimmicky or not Foles and the Eagles will be remembered for tearing up Belichick's defense. It was super fun to watch. 

• Thanks 1