The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

18 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No, I'm just an educated football fan who sees things for what they are. Sure, the OC on any team is the "playcaller" but it doesn't mean that they have 100% control of every play nor do they have 100% control of what kind of offence a team runs. Case in point, with Seattle, it's a Pete Carroll style offence ran by whoever has the title of OC. Who the hell do you think made that awful call at 49 where they should have ran the ball? It was ultimately Pete's decision to pass the ball. Look, we can go back and forth all day about this but I'm not gonna argue with what I know to be facts vs some media article from ESPN. It's well known in Seattle that Pete controls the way the Seahawks want to play offence and defence. 

Im working with the Washington State Cougars this fall in their Football Ops Department (most of my work is in recruiting). The Cougs HC Mike Leach is the offensive playcaller, he carries his script and calls the offensive plays. He does not call the defence. The Defense is not his scheme. He is an offensive coach by trade. When Leach started at WSU the DC that he brought in played with relatively basic a 4-3 scheme. 4 years ago, WSU hired Alex Grinch a DC who changed the scheme to a 3-4 attacking defense, with an emphasis on the quick but undersized (can be seen through Hercules Mata'afa, not your traditional 3-4 DE at 6'2 250).

My point is that coaches have a philosophy, and Pete Carroll definetly does. Everybody knows his defensive philosophy (which he has put his stamp on the NFL with), and his offensive philosophy is pretty well known too. Run the ball to set up the pass. He does not choose or decide the blocking or running schemes (which has changed this season) nor the passing concepts. That is the OC.

Basically I don't understand what your issue with Carroll is.

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Yikes!

I feel like coaches get intimidated by the Patriots and make nervous plays. Here Seattle management overthought the situation (they think we're gonna run, so we're gonna try to outthink the Pats and score), and the Falcons did something similar when they called a passing play that led to a sack to take them out of field goal range (which could have sealed the game). That's how you know the Pats are a dynasty; the other teams get nervous and do things out of character.

If you watched the short film "Do Your Job" NFL Films did after SB49, Belichick talked about what he was thinking at that moment and after rewatching the game again at that time, it's just impressive that Belichick was able to make that decision with the Super Bowl on the line..

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Im working with the Washington State Cougars this fall in their Football Ops Department (most of my work is in recruiting). The Cougs HC Mike Leach is the offensive playcaller, he carries his script and calls the offensive plays. He does not call the defence. The Defense is not his scheme. He is an offensive coach by trade. When Leach started at WSU the DC that he brought in played with relatively basic a 4-3 scheme. 4 years ago, WSU hired Alex Grinch a DC who changed the scheme to a 3-4 attacking defense, with an emphasis on the quick but undersized (can be seen through Hercules Mata'afa, not your traditional 3-4 DE at 6'2 250).

My point is that coaches have a philosophy, and Pete Carroll definetly does. Everybody knows his defensive philosophy (which he has put his stamp on the NFL with), and his offensive philosophy is pretty well known too. Run the ball to set up the pass. He does not choose or decide the blocking or running schemes (which has changed this season) nor the passing concepts. That is the OC.

Basically I don't understand what your issue with Carroll is.

Make sure you tell those guys about the CFL and the BC Lions if the NFL doesn't come calling.:P

Edited by Chip Kelly

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Make sure you tell those guys about the CFL and the BC Lions if the NFL doesn't come calling.:P

There is actually some pretty good talent on the team. Its kinda surreal because I have classes with some of the players (including the starting running back) and I sit beside them in class on Fridays, the next day these fools are playing on National Television. Its honestly been so much fun, one of the best 2 month stretches of my life NGL.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

If you watched the short film "Do Your Job" NFL Films did after SB49, Belichick talked about what he was thinking at that moment and after rewatching the game again at that time, it's just impressive that Belichick was able to make that decision with the Super Bowl on the line..

Carroll also said he didn't want to give Tom Brady time to march down the field and score a TD. He should have just trusted his D. It was extremely unlikely Brady would have marched down the field in 40s. This is what Carroll should be ragged on for. He just didn't trust his D.

17 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Carroll also said he didn't want to give Tom Brady time to march down the field and score a TD. He should have just trusted his D. It was extremely unlikely Brady would have marched down the field in 40s. This is what Carroll should be ragged on for. He just didn't trust his D.

At that point the clock was ticking on 2nd down with less than 30 seconds to play. If they had ran the ball again with Lynch at the 1 yard line and got stopped, Seattle could call a timeout and stop the clock at around 22 seconds. Then Seattle would either try again on 3rd down and quickly get up for one last snap on 4th down if stopped, or try for a pass play for a TD or incomplete to stop the clock again on 3rd down and then take your best play on 4th down with the clock stopped for a TD attempt. At that point, let's say Seattle did score a touchdown on 3rd or 4th down, there would have only been roughly 10-15 seconds left in the game, leaving only one chance for a hail mary with roughly 7-10 seconds left depending on the kickoff.

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

At that point the clock was ticking on 2nd down with less than 30 seconds to play. If they had ran the ball again with Lynch at the 1 yard line and got stopped, Seattle could call a timeout and stop the clock at around 22 seconds. Then Seattle would either try again on 3rd down and quickly get up for one last snap on 4th down if stopped, or try for a pass play for a TD or incomplete to stop the clock again on 3rd down and then take your best play on 4th down with the clock stopped for a TD attempt. At that point, let's say Seattle did score a touchdown on 3rd or 4th down, there would have only been roughly 10-15 seconds left in the game, leaving only one chance for a hail mary with roughly 7-10 seconds left depending on the kickoff.

It seems to me that you're in agreement that it was a poor decision by the 'Hawks, AJ. We're in agreement on that.

I understand how some might take umbrage at the idea that Seattle lost the game, rather than New England winning it, but all of that aside, the clock management angle just doesn't hold water.

I do tend to agree with c00kies' assessment that teams sometimes overthink these situations. I also think that it's true that everyone on the planet expected Beat Mode to get the ball in that situation, but the fact is, everyone expected him to get it on first down as well and he got 4 yards on the play.

The Pats' had a solid defense, but IMHO opinion, there's no way that they stop Lynch twice in a row when he only needs a single yard. It was a stupid call..

• Upvote 1