The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Another fun little article I found.

Scab Ref Tells LeSean McCoy: “I Need You For My Fantasy Team”

avt-small.jpg Barry Petchesky

It's an important distinction to note that most criticism of the replacement officials is directed not at them, but at the league for forcing it to come to this point. We know the refs are doing the best they can; we know they're just not prepared. (More than getting the calls right, memorizing the rule book and keeping control of the game is hard. It takes years of experience.) So when a huge Saints fan gets slated to work a Saints game, that's the league's fault for not catching it in their "background checks." When a ref who received paychecks from the Seahawks for three years actually worked a Seahawks game, that was the league's fault too.

But this? If this is true, we might have reached the bottom of the professionalism barrel.

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy went on 94WIP in Philadelphia yesterday, and touched on how the refs tend to be intimidated and influenced by players and crowds. Not a surprise—this week, 14 of 16 home teams won their games. But he also gave an example of how the replacement refs seem more like contest winners than hardened employees.

"They're like fans, kind of though. I'll be honest, they're like fans. One of the refs was talking about his fantasy team, like ‘McCoy, come on, I need you for my fantasy [team].'"

Fantasy football, unlike betting, isn't specifically prohibited. But fantasy can have some big money attached—and replacement refs could be the rare fantasy players who actually have a say in the outcomes of games. If McCoy is telling the truth, we've got a major problem with the scabs. Well, another major problem.

[CBS Philly]

http://deadspin.com/5944158/ref-tells-lesean-mccoy-i-need-you-for-my-fantasy-team

Why the NFL players are crossing the picket lines is beyond me. They could have easily stood in solidarity with the refs and likely have gotten a deal done in the preseason, yet here we are. This is one problem that the players should be held at least partly accountable.

Edited by canuckster19

I like how most of you morons think that one call (granted it was probably the worst call of the game) makes of for the countless BS calls against Seattle the whole second half. The fact that was the worst call of the season doesn't make up for all of the other calls combined! That first half which was reffed almost perfectly really showed who was the better team tonight. Seattle got 8 sacks in the first half and then magically started taking non stop penalties in the second half while Green Bay got away with CONSTANT holding on pass rushes...it was absolutely brutal.

• Upvote 2

Why the NFL players are crossing the picket lines is beyond me. They could have easily stood in solidarity with the refs and likely have gotten a deal done in the preseason, yet here we are. This is one problem that the players should be held at least partly accountable.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. For a Union to cross a picket line, thats pretty low. Definitely not right for the players to do.

At least they are having a NFL season, I would take the crappy refs if it meant there would be NHL hockey.

I would never watch another NHL game again if they used replacement officials and the players crossed the picket lines.

BOLD LETTERING.

There is no picket line. It's a lockout not a strike. The players have the right to strike though, in support. THAT would make it a picket line

At this point im pretty sure the refs are loving this right now, their negotiating power has probably sky rocketed the last few weeks

I don't like the Packers, but they definitely got hosed.

I know there were terrible calls both ways, but the 3 at the end against GB (Roughing the Passer to negate the interception, Defensive Pass Interference on Shields and of course the missed Offensive Pass Interference and botched touchdown call at the end) was just a little much.

These refs are definitely hurting the product now, but I doubt the NFL really cares because I don't know if anybody is turning off their TV or switching the channel because of bad rule enforcement.

I like how most of you morons think that one call (granted it was probably the worst call of the game) makes of for the countless BS calls against Seattle the whole second half. The fact that was the worst call of the season doesn't make up for all of the other calls combined! That first half which was reffed almost perfectly really showed who was the better team tonight. Seattle got 8 sacks in the first half and then magically started taking non stop penalties in the second half while Green Bay got away with CONSTANT holding on pass rushes...it was absolutely brutal.

Hey genius, what about the pass interference call on Shields down the sideline when he wasn't even touching the receiver AND he turned around to look at the ball? In fact, it was the receiver who was tugging on Shields arm to get in better position and yet shields got the call on him. These refs screwed over both teams, and the whole league. At this rate some team like the Vikings or Bills is going to win the Super Bowl because these refs are belong in pop warner, not the pros.

Did I start the bold craze, I didn't realize I did it until I came back here now.

when I originally posted my other comments it showed up unbolded, but when I returned later to look at the thread it was all bold. Not sure what has happened.

edit: same thing has happened, come back and it is all in bold, must be a glitch.

Edited by zero-ONE-three