The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Maybe the NFL should launch an investigation on the NE receivers and RBs. Maybe one of them told The Deflator to tamper with the quarterback's footballs. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it was the Colts. :emot-parrot:

Edited by Heretic

Sez u. Benefits receivers, running backs and defenders more than a QB - scientific fact.

How does it benefit a defender more than a quarterback when it's easier for a receiver to catch and hold onto the football?

It benefits a quarterback and receiver equally when a quarterback's completion percentage increases as a result, his pass yards compound, he sustains drives he may not otherwise have, etc...

The idea that it benefits defenders more than a quarterback is nonsense - the small percentage of plays that result in interceptions can't be considered a greater benefit to a defender than a quarterback.

Edited by oldnews

I'm a Pats fan, I have no problem with Goodell looking after this. I just want the truth. Still, suspending someone 4 games because he was "aware of a scheme" would be like suspending another player because he was aware of another taking performance enhancing substances.

From what I can tell, the suspension was less for knowing about the situation and more for being dishonest about the knowledge as well as being uncooperative with the investigation.

That being said, I'll be very surprised if the suspension isn't reduced to one or two games.

BTW: Benefiting defenders more than the QB and receivers is not a scientific fact. :rolleyes:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Brady didn't just know about it, he obviously encouraged it. That being said, a 4 game suspension is just wrong (2 games max would be fair) and anything more than a ding on his short term reputation would be a travesty.

Brady is one of the best QB's to ever play the game. Period, end of story.

I say this even though they are my hometown team's arch-rival.

• Upvote 2

Got bored so here it goes...

Edit: changed Lions record after a little research. Was 7-9. Also changed Bears(8-8) and Vikings(5-11) and Rams (6-10)

My prediction for next year:

AFC

EAST:

PATRIOTS (11-5)*

DOLPHINS (9-7)

BILLS (8-8)

JETS (7-9)

NORTH

BENGALS (10-6)*

STEELERS (9-7)

RAVENS (9-7)

BROWNS (6-10)

SOUTH

COLTS (13-3)**

TEXANS (10-6)*

TITANS (5-11)

JAGUARS (4-12)

WEST

BRONCOS (12-4)**

CHIEFS (11-5)*

CHARGERS (9-7)

RAIDERS (5-11)

AFC PLAYOFFS

ROUND 1

PATRIOTS VS TEXANS (PATRIOTS WIN)

BENGALS VS CHIEFS (CHIEFS WIN)

ROUND 2

COLTS VS CHIEFS (COLTS WIN)

BRONCOS VS PATRIOTS (PATRIOTS WIN)

ROUND 3

COLTS VS PATRIOTS (COLTS WIN)

NFC

EAST

EAGLES (13-3)**

COWBOYS (9-7)

GIANTS (8-8)

REDSKINS (7-9)

NORTH

PACKERS (13-3)**

LIONS (9-7)

BEARS (7-9)

VIKINGS (7-9)

SOUTH

SAINTS (9-7)*

FALCONS (9-7)

PANTHERS (8-8)

BUCCANEERS (7-9)

WEST

SEAHAWKS (12-4)*

49ERS (11-5)*

CARDINALS (10-6)*

RAMS (5-11)

NFC PLAYOFFS

ROUND 1

SEAHAWKS VS CARDINALS (SEAHAWKS WIN)

SAINTS VS 49ERS (49ERS WIN)

ROUND 2

PACKERS VS SEAHAWKS (PACKERS WIN)

EAGLES VS 49ERS (EAGLES WIN)

ROUND 3

EAGLES VS PACKERS (EAGLES WIN)

SUPERBOWL

EAGLES VS COLTS (EAGLES WIN)

Edited by Scorvat

Brady didn't just know about it, he obviously encouraged it. That being said, a 4 game suspension is just wrong (2 games max would be fair) and anything more than a ding on his short term reputation would be a travesty.

Probably would've been 2 had he co-operated with the investigation. They said in the suspension letter that non-cooperation was a factor in the 4 games. Brady went the Ryan Braun route and got burned.

^^Wild guess....your an Eagles fan?

Ya.. honestly i was hoping not to go biased. But i cant predict us to lose. We have a really goo shot this year if the team plays the way they look on paper. Not an unrealistic prediction. But yes it is a biased one. I just cant help it

Ya.. honestly i was hoping not to go biased. But i cant predict us to lose. We have a really goo shot this year if the team plays the way they look on paper. Not an unrealistic prediction. But yes it is a biased one. I just cant help it

Niners aren't 11-5 good lol. That's a joke imo. Lions and Vikings will be better than the Bears. My biggest problem though is that you got my Ravens missing the playoffs!

I can't say the Eagles are going to be that good with no qb. I mean Bradford has to stay healthy, which he hasn't done since forever.

Lions will not be 7-9 next year. At minimum will be 9-7. People are overestimating the loss of suh. He is an insane talent, but he doesn't equate to 3-4 wins like most people are saying.

Add on to that the continued development of young guys on defense like slay and ansah as well as tulloch returning i think its still a top 10 defense.

The offense should be MUCH improved this year as well. Through the draft the running game has seemingly been solidified. Ebron should be alot better after having a year to adjust to the nfl, look at the tight end greats. Near all have struggled their rookie years. On top of all that stafford will be in year 2 of the new system on offense. Last year was an adjustment year to learn how to play differently after the first 5 years of his career was a vertical offense where half the play calls was throw it to calvin johnson and let him make a play. Stafford is just recently learning how to be a good qb rather than just one with a strong arm throwing to one of the best receivers ever not named rice

How does it benefit a defender more than a quarterback when it's easier for a receiver to catch and hold onto the football?

It benefits a quarterback and receiver equally when a quarterback's completion percentage increases as a result, his pass yards compound, he sustains drives he may not otherwise have, etc...

The idea that it benefits defenders more than a quarterback is nonsense - the small percentage of plays that result in interceptions can't be considered a greater benefit to a defender than a quarterback.

Well, if you read earlier or searched you would know that a deflated ball travels at less velocity than a fully inflated one - this gives the defense a split second more to react and intercept/knock down the ball. What's interesting is the only interception Brady through was with a deflated ball - first half. Second half the Pats scored more points so clearly a deflated ball benefits the defense.

Well, if you read earlier or searched you would know that a deflated ball travels at less velocity than a fully inflated one - this gives the defense a split second more to react and intercept/knock down the ball. What's interesting is the only interception Brady through was with a deflated ball - first half. Second half the Pats scored more points so clearly a deflated ball benefits the defense.

A deflated ball may travel a hair slower with equal force applied, but a deflated ball is easier to grip, and easier to apply more force in throwing, so whether his passes with deflated footballs in fact travel at lesser velocity is highly debatable (could be measured) - and the effect on accuracy is also an advantage.. so imo, there is a clear net gain for the quarterback, which is obviously why Brady himself prefers a less inflated football. It's also easier to pump fake a pass, and less likely to be fumbled under pressure....

This debate strikes me as borderline comical though - with the usual courtroom style misdirection.

I personally found Brady's "I don't think so" response comical - I think it's pretty obvious his preference was for deregulated footballs - and his coaches' response was equally telling.

Edited by oldnews

Lions will not be 7-9 next year. At minimum will be 9-7. People are overestimating the loss of suh. He is an insane talent, but he doesn't equate to 3-4 wins like most people are saying.

Ngata. Seriously he will be freaking awesome for the Lions.

From what I can tell, the suspension was less for knowing about the situation and more for being dishonest about the knowledge as well as being uncooperative with the investigation.

That being said, I'll be very surprised if the suspension isn't reduced to one or two games.

BTW: Benefiting defenders more than the QB and receivers is not a scientific fact. :rolleyes:

Ex-Vikings star Randy Moss shows up at Pelican Rapids graduation

By Hayden Goethe

on May 22, 2015at 10:32 p.m.

PELICAN RAPIDS, Minn. – A long journey for one Pelican Rapids High School student reached a milestone Friday night.

And former NFL star Randy Moss was there to see it.

Moss surprised many in Pelican Rapids by appearing at the graduation ceremony.

Moss’ reason for being there was to hand a high school diploma to senior Kassi Spier, said Pelican Rapids Public School District Superintendent Deb Wanek.

Spier developed a friendship with Moss during his playing days with the Minnesota Vikings.

Wanek said Spier battled leukemia in her youth. Then, in 2004, Spier’s father died in a car accident. And in 2013, Spier was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Yet through it all, she managed to graduate, and Moss wasn’t going to miss seeing it.

“She’s had many struggles in her life, and he’s been there for her,” Wanek said. “He told her he’d be at her high school graduation.”

An Associated Press story in 2003 mentioned that Spier befriended Moss during his rookie season of 1998, when Moss took the NFL by storm with 1,313 receiving yards and 17 touchdown catches.

The story describes how Spier in 2003 followed Moss to lunch nearly every day during the team’s training camp that summer in Mankato, with “her tiny hand tucked inside his.”

The St. Paul Pioneer Press also published a story around that time regarding the friendship between Moss and Spier.

It describes how Moss in September 2000 visited Spier, then a 4-year-old, at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester after her leukemia diagnosis.

Spier told the Pioneer Press that Moss had a hard time saying goodbye during that visit.

“He cried because he didn’t want to leave,” she said at the time.

Wanek didn’t know that Moss would be at the graduation ceremony until shortly before it started.

“We had heard there was a possibility,” she said. “But we didn’t know.”

Pelican Rapids has about 2,500 residents and is located 45 miles southeast of Fargo.

Awesome story. Was really happy to read this story. Also great to know that, even though what the media chose to show us during Moss' Vikings' days was his troubles and antics, he was still a genuinely good guy at heart who cared about others, emphasized by the bolded part.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

What's interesting is the only interception Brady through was with a deflated ball - first half. Second half the Pats scored more points so clearly a deflated ball benefits the defense.

Yeah, clearly the deflated ball is responsible for all of that. It wouldn't make much sense to attribute that to any of the thousands of other random events and variables that occur during a game.