The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Matt Stout @MattPStout 8m8 minutes ago

Judge Berman pressed NFL attorney on existence of "direct evidence" Brady knew of deflation. Atty Nash admits no but "Brady clearly knew" - (I didn't know CDC poster Makaveli was really NFL general counsel Nash, identical arguments by both.)

Matt Stout @MattPStout 7m7 minutes ago

Judge also questioned if evidence exists Brady knew specifically it would happen in AFC Champ. Nash: "No, not for that specific game." (1/2)

Matt Stout @MattPStout 6m6 minutes ago

Berman: "Wow, that's the only game we're talking about." #deflategate (2/2)

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Upvote 1

In case anyone wondered what other players around the NFL thought about the Patriots and deflated footballs:

A survey of more than 100 NFL players by ESPN shows most of them believe the New England Patriots knew about the deflation of footballs. Yet a majority of them aren't upset by it and don't consider the Patriots "cheaters" because they think the manipulation of game balls is commonplace throughout the league.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com passed along the results of the 13-question survey, which also covered more general questions about cheating by NFL teams. Here is a look at the results to the inquiries about the Patriots and, more specifically, Tom Brady's alleged actions:

ESPN NFL Player Survey Question Yes No Do you think the Patriots deflated footballs? 72% 28% I am upset with the Patriots for allegedly deflating footballs. 16% 84% I think the Patriots are cheaters. 42% 58% Do deflated footballs impact the outcome of games? 48% 52%

ESPN.com

Other notable responses include 78 percent of players stating Brady's suspension should have been for fewer than the current four games, with the average answer being 1.5 games. Many (88 percent) also agreed commissioner Roger Goodell shouldn't handle player discipline.

In terms of tampering with footballs, 68 percent believe opponents do something illegal before games. As noted in the table, however, only about half believe it actually impacts games.

Finally, more generally speaking, the polled players believe nearly one out of every three players (30 percent) engages in some form of cheating. Interestingly, the number barely drops (29 percent) when asked whether players on their own team cheat, according to the ESPN poll.

The results are good news for the Patriots and Brady. As the national focus has shifted more toward the NFL's handling of the entire ordeal, it appears even players in other locker rooms don't think the Deflategate issue warrants this much attention.

Now would be an easy time to jump all over New England in an attempt to diminish its accomplishments over the last 15 years. Instead, 84 percent aren't even upset about Deflategate, and the ESPN poll also notes 80 percent have moved past the previous Spygate issue, too.

Of course, the court case surrounding Brady's four-game suspension carries on with the start of the new season now less than a month away. It sounds like most players are just ready to move on.

Court has broken.

Judge Berman grilled the NFL for their lack of evidence and "independent but not really independent because it was in defense of the NFL" investigation by Wells.

Litigation and settlement talks continuing outside, judge hasn't made a decision on which side he'll rule for yet.

Sounds like this judge tried to squeeze out any legitimate basis for a 4 game suspension out of the NFL and their lawyer (Nash) but didn't get a drop, so it would appear he's favoring on Brady's side, but never know what might happen in those chambers, hopefully Goodell didn't bring his knee pads.

CMOUB4YUcAAyC9J.png

I have no doubt that Brady knew about the deflated footballs, but...oh....my....God, the NFL is mental. They can't directly prove to a judge that he did it, but they still want to suspend him for it?! Even trying to argue suspension over no cooperation at this point won't even stick.

Goodell and the other owners should drop the whole issue now and just put new rules in the rulebook and in the next labour agreement on addressing this kind of situation. Spell out the cooperation and procedural agreements.

The NFL front office needs to be cleaned out. They haven't handled anything correctly in the last 18 months.

I was really hoping for at least a 2 game suspension that would stick. Then the Bills would have only had to face Brady one time instead of two. ::D

Looks like Aquaman had to pony up some cash in order to have the chance to kiss Tom Brady's ummmm rings. Yeah that's it, rings... :lol:

An excerpt from an article on one of the emails that he gave to the NFL in it's investigation.

He had to pay money in order to see Brady.... Bwahahahaha!!

Smell my finger Francesco.

Geno Smith will miss six to 10 weeks with a broken jaw.

After the initial report that New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith was "sucker punched" by a teammate and had his jaw broken, new details have emerged that make Smith look less and less blameless.

The locker-room altercation occurred with linebacker IK Enemkpali after Smith didn't repay Enemkpali $600 for a plane ticket to Enemkpali's football camp (which Smith missed for personal reasons).

Certainly Enemkpali crossed the line with the punch, but the story behind the debt gives more background as to why the altercation occurred. Enemkpali was cut, and Jets head coach Todd Bowles said afterward "you don't walk up to another man and punch him in the face."

In the aftermath, however, along with the details about money he owed Enemkpali, sources are painting a picture that suggests Smith provoked the fight.

On Wednesday, ESPN analyst and former NFL safety Ryan Clark said that Smith wasn't apologetic about owing money, and he had put his finger in Enemkpali's face and said, "you're not going to do anything about it":

"It became about the fact that Geno wasn't necessarily apologetic, and being, in a way, remorseful about the money, when saying he was going to pay IK back. You know, he didn't, and he was rather smug about it. So these guys got into it earlier in camp about this money. My report says Geno put his finger in [Enemkpali's] face and told the guy, 'Well, you're not going to do anything about it.'"

Clark also said it wasn't the first time a situation arose between the two players, but the first incident ended with both players walking away. Clark reiterated on Twitter that while Smith didn't deserve to be punched, it also shouldn't be considered a "sucker punch":

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News also spoke to players on the Jets who said Smith "deserved" to be punched:

Smith "was up in (Enemkpali’s) face and pointed/touched his face," according to a source.

"Geno deserved it," another source said.

It’s unclear how matters escalated, but Smith’s finger-pointing in his teammate’s face was grounds for a punch, according to some.

"That’ll get a man hit every time, especially one that hasn’t earned respect," a source said.

In the immediate aftermath of the fight, cornerback Darrelle Revis said he holds both players responsible, which was the original suggestion that perhaps Smith wasn't blameless in the incident.

As Clark said, Smith didn't deserve to be punched — and certainly not forced out for half of the season in what many consider a make-or-break year — but it sounds like he didn't act responsibly. Very few Jets players have come to his defense since the incident.

j-e-t-s Suck! Suck! Suck!

What is game pass? Seen the commercials but never paid attention. It is live, for all teams, etc and best of all, worth it?

Yes it's live for all teams. So far I am liking it, I think this year they added NFL redzone to it. They have all the redzone shows from the past couple seasons. Also get live and archived shows from NFL network. I think you should have access to more stuff once regular season starts. It says you can watch coaches film, but right now that's not working for me.

Currently flipping between the Bucs-Vikings and Texans-49ers. Winston not looking to sharp so far.

I also use the mobile app and cast it to my chromecast.

Edited by gmen81

Yes it's live for all teams. So far I am liking it, I think this year they added NFL redzone to it. They have all the redzone shows from the past couple seasons. Also get live and archived shows from NFL network. I think you should have access to more stuff once regular season starts. It says you can watch coaches film, but right now that's not working for me.

Currently flipping between the Bucs-Vikings and Texans-49ers. Winston not looking to sharp so far.

I also use the mobile app and cast it to my chromecast.

Damn seems like it's worth it. I had Redzone a couple years ago and it was alright. If it's as cheap as you say I'll look into it and likely get it too.