The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

NFL officials are a complete farce wow.

At first I thought it was a bad call but the explanation makes sense. If it wasn't a catch by definition why wouldn't it be an interception if another player controlled it before it touched the ground?

• Upvote 1

At first I thought it was a bad call but the explanation makes sense. If it wasn't a catch by definition why wouldn't it be an interception if another player controlled it before it touched the ground?

When i hear the commentators  saying "I dont know what a catch is anymore" , "I dont know what constitutes possession anymore."  "I dont know what an interception is anymore."    you have to wonder what the hell the zebras are seeing. Even with video evidence of  a catch and control the call it a pick ? A strip maybe, but he was down imho.

• Upvote 1

When i hear the commentators  saying "I dont know what a catch is anymore" , "I dont know what constitutes possession anymore."  "I dont know what an interception is anymore."    you have to wonder what the hell the zebras are seeing. Even with video evidence of  a catch and control the call it a pick ? A strip maybe, but he was down imho.

I am going by what the commentators said. But people question the refs every week it isn't new. They don't make the rules they just define them.

As far as this goes this is what they meant. It wasn't a catch and strip, he wasn't down because he never completed the act of a catch. Similar to when a player catches a ball on the sideline if the defender jars it loose as they hit the ground it is ruled incomplete. That is basically what happened here. The player caught the ball but could not maintain control through the fall or demonstrate a, "football move," so it was an incomplete pass that ended up in the defenders hands. 

By that rule of having to make a football move or maintain the ball through the fall it makes sense that it was an interception. To me the issue wasn't the refs but the rule itself of having to maintain. 

• Upvote 1

I am going by what the commentators said. But people question the refs every week it isn't new. They don't make the rules they just define them.

As far as this goes this is what they meant. It wasn't a catch and strip, he wasn't down because he never completed the act of a catch. Similar to when a player catches a ball on the sideline if the defender jars it loose as they hit the ground it is ruled incomplete. That is basically what happened here. The player caught the ball but could not maintain control through the fall or demonstrate a, "football move," so it was an incomplete pass that ended up in the defenders hands. 

By that rule of having to make a football move or maintain the ball through the fall it makes sense that it was an interception. To me the issue wasn't the refs but the rule itself of having to maintain. 

This is why I cannot understand the final call after video . It was a catch and he had control all the way down from what i saw.  But I am watching from a TV and not on the field :)  Still after seeing the play a few times I think it was an obvious catch.

This is why I cannot understand the final call after video . It was a catch and he had control all the way down from what i saw.  But I am watching from a TV and not on the field :)  Still after seeing the play a few times I think it was an obvious catch.

I disagree. He didn't maintain control through his contact with the ground and was therefore never able to establish possession under the current rules. The ball, having never contacted the ground, and never been under possession, was live, and picked. 

Badford blows

He does but his o-line has been pretty bad most of the year and now losing his best blocker a 7 time pro bowl LT Jason Peters won't help the passing or run game.

Eagles wrs are terrible keep dropping passes can't get open and make any contested catches. Josh Huff looks like a backup #4 or #5 wr so is Riley Cooper and old Miles Austin. 

Then you have 2 guys Matthews and Agholor a sophomore and a rookie who have been terrible and are not close to playing like they should for where they were drafted.

Bradford is mediocre but I will give him time his o-line and receivers are pretty trash right now for a wannabe playoff team.

The Rbs are good especially Ryan Matthews. Aside from that not much.

The D has been very capable and above expectations considering they are creating turnovers just too bad the offence is turning it over right back to the other team.

I never thought the Eagles D would play that much better than the O.

Offence is not getting fixed this year either with o-line and wr injuries/chemistry/confidence issues.

I see this team being mediocre like they are now the whole year. But in a terrible division they still got a good shot to make the playoffs.

It is the Calvin Johnson rule. I know this is a weird way to word it but even if a player catches a ball securely and gets 2 feet down, if they can't perform a football move they have to maintain control of the ball through contact with the ground or it is an incomplete pass.

This is the actual rule in the rulebook

Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery. 

So you are correct he did have control all the way down to the ground but he didn't maintain control through the action of hitting the ground so it was an incomplete pass by rule and hence intercepted because the ball never hit the ground. So like I said I don't think the Refs should take heat for that, it is the rule itself that is odd. 

He does but his o-line has been pretty bad most of the year and now losing his best blocker a 7 time pro bowl LT Jason Peters won't help the passing or run game.

Eagles wrs are terrible keep dropping passes can't get open and make any contested catches. Josh Huff looks like a backup #4 or #5 wr so is Riley Cooper and old Miles Austin. 

Then you have 2 guys Matthews and Agholor a sophomore and a rookie who have been terrible and are not close to playing like they should for where they were drafted.

Bradford is mediocre but I will give him time his o-line and receivers are pretty trash right now for a wannabe playoff team.

The Rbs are good especially Ryan Matthews. Aside from that not much.

The D has been very capable and above expectations considering they are creating turnovers just too bad the offence is turning it over right back to the other team.

I never thought the Eagles D would play that much better than the O.

Offence is not getting fixed this year either with o-line and wr injuries/chemistry/confidence issues.

I see this team being mediocre like they are now the whole year. But in a terrible division they still got a good shot to make the playoffs.

Bradford isn't great but I think he deserves some slack. The Eagles had 7 dropped passes last night and story of the year many of those drops were big ones that ended drives. Not to compare him to Brady but even the Patriots had nothing going for them on offense early against the Jets when they were dropping passes. 

Ryan Mathews really needs the ball more though. Maybe Murray will produce later but Mathews is clearly the better back now. 6 carries for 97 yards while Murray had 18 carries for 65. Mathews is averaging 6.1 yards per carry on the season and honestly just looks like a better runner. I know they don't want to admit Murray was a bad signing and want to get him going but you are losing games and benching a player who is playing amazing football just to prove you weren't wrong about Murray. 

Saints have looked great the last two weeks. Getting better every week. So glad Terron Armstead is back. He's a fantastic tackle. Cam Jordan has also been excellent as of late. Delvin Breaux was a great find this summer. Quietly becoming a great shutdown corner (minus those two times he tripped and fell yesterday lol).

Now 3-4. vs Giants, vs Titans, at RedSkins, at Texans the next 4. Remaining schedule in general is pretty favorable. They could get right back into the wild card mix.

Edited by Madness