The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Okay football fans, question for you all here: I bought 3 tickets to Lambeau for myself and 2 friends when the Packers host the Bears on November 26th. We're all pumped for what should prove to be a once in a lifetime experience. Once in a lifetime mostly because of cost (living on the west coast, premium prime time American holiday, Favre jersey retirement type game and so on), but more so because of the history of the team/field, and the passion the fans bring to a cold weather outdoor game.

Has anyone here been to Green Bay or to the stadium before? We're going to head into town a few days early to check out some local Packer bars and what not, then hit the field early to make sure we get a good look at everything before kickoff. Been researching already, but I like to diversify sources when possible. Any good tips? 

Sitting visitors side, 50 yard line, row 29. 

Comments appreciated. Will post pictures.

• Upvote 1

^I have a family friend who is a Packers STH. If you have any questions or whatever it may be, let me know, I'll forward them to him, and quote back his response. Can ask here or via PM, doesn't matter to me.

...and congrats on the tickets grab! That truly will be a once in a lifetime experience. 

• Upvote 2

Lions fire their GM and prez.  God that franchise is in need of some serious help along with the city it plays in. 

Johnny Football making his 2nd start tonight, might as well ride him.  McCown is not going to turn your franchise around, just get you a slightly lower draft pick,  so why not play the qb that might have a sliver of future in the NFL?

Lions need to rebuild. Build around guys Ansah, Abdullah, and Ebron. Trade Megatron and Tate. Those are valuable pieces. Teams are always looking for qb's and there will be takers for Stafford. 

Abdullah has had a couple nice plays, but hasn't shown anything that says he should be built around.  Ebron is improving and could be that piece.  I say trade Johnson and Stafford in the next year or two to give us some serious cap flexibility to make room.  Plus you didn't include my favorite player and the guy who is the best on the defense and only played 11 snaps before going on season ending IR; Deandre Levy.  Dude just has a nose for the football.

Overall though I honestly do believe that the problems this team has is more due to coaching mistakes than player talent.  The biggest weakness on the team shouldn't even be a weakness at all.  The offensive line has a few maulers on there, but instead of just telling them to go out and dominate the guy on the other side they play this zone blocking scheme that half the time an assignment is missed for one reason or the other.

My best case scenario for the new GM is the player personnel guy in Cincy Duke Tobin.  That is such a complete team on all sides of the ball which is, obviously, what you want your team to be.  Either that or anybody from the Pats organization because they obviously do something right in terms of finding players there.

Edited by canuckfan_21
  • Upvote 2

Okay football fans, question for you all here: I bought 3 tickets to Lambeau for myself and 2 friends when the Packers host the Bears on November 26th. We're all pumped for what should prove to be a once in a lifetime experience. Once in a lifetime mostly because of cost (living on the west coast, premium prime time American holiday, Favre jersey retirement type game and so on), but more so because of the history of the team/field, and the passion the fans bring to a cold weather outdoor game.

Has anyone here been to Green Bay or to the stadium before? We're going to head into town a few days early to check out some local Packer bars and what not, then hit the field early to make sure we get a good look at everything before kickoff. Been researching already, but I like to diversify sources when possible. Any good tips? 

Sitting visitors side, 50 yard line, row 29. 

Comments appreciated. Will post pictures.

You lucky son of a.....just drink it all in. You're going to the heart of football. 

• Upvote 1

Pumpernickel benched. Would not be surprised if his time in the Bay Area is done. 

Is it just me or is it becoming more and more clear that the any given Sunday parity maxim should not exist anymore? Especially with how the majority of NFL teams have mediocre or terrible qb's?

I mean... half the guys in the league are either downright terrible or below average at best. Then the other half you have a select few elite guys at the top and then some good qbs who are considered franchise guys but not top tier elite.

Pretty clear there is a bigger gap between the "rich" and the "poor" more than in the past few seasons in regards to the quarterback position.

Are spread offences ruining the qb position on both sides of the border?

There seems to be a dearth of talent in the qb pipeline with how they are developed coming out of high school and going in to college. They are not taught traditional pro concepts and instead run simplified offences that rely on very basic reads and don't teach the qb to have good decision making or work through their progressions on a particular play. The coaches are more concerned about winning however possible and making money for the school by having an athletic qb and designing an offence around him that puts up points and is flashy but as we see it is increasingly setting up these guys to fail at the NFL level.

Each offensive concept that has come along the NFL has adjusted too over it's history. Recently we had the wildcat and read-option and now both more or less have been reduced to change of pace or trick play status instead of something close to a base offensive set used on plays. Chip Kelly's spread shotgun no huddle tempo offence has also been less effective as teams have gotten more tape and realized how to neutralize the tempo by understanding how simple the offence really is outside of the motions and option routes and screens.

As crazy as this will sound despite how trash guys like RGIII and Colin Kaepernick have been there are teams waiting for them to get cut so they can sign them because the alternatives either via trade, free agency, or even the draft are not a whole lot better.

What are the chances you get lucky and land a Derek Carr or Russel Wilson a franchise type qb?

Guys who can both comfortably throw from the pocket but also are mobile enough to be a threat to escape pressure and run if necessary are rare to find.

Most qbs can either do one thing and are limited at best at the other or in some cases severely lacking altogether ie Tim Tebow.

It's a total crap shoot. I understand why NFL teams are so reluctant to give up on guys like Stafford or Cutler even though they are overpaid and probably overrated. The alternatives are not really much better when you realize the terrible state of affairs at qb around the league right now.

QB is probably one of, if not, the most difficult position to evaluate in pro sports and to get players to play at a high level consistently year in and year out requires a great team around the player and surely a good helping of good fortune too.

Especially with the NFL having rules where everything is geared towards increasing offence and points scored it is difficult for teams to have truly great defenses anymore that are capable of winning playoff games and making up for mediocre qbs by relying on a heavy run game between the rb and qbs and the d to bail them out.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 2

@OnlyInBOS: Gisele told Kraft that she up woke up recently at 3:30am to find her husband studying film: https://t.co/MGs9YwCZX8

Enjoy Tom while he's still here folks. After he and Peyton leave the game, the QB era will be done. It's just shocking how very few game breaking QBs there are in the league. Peyton is declining but still consider him one. Then you have Tom and then ARod. Can't say anyone else tbh. Remember when a few years back it was looking like the league was transitioning from a RB league to a QB league. There was hope but the QBs just can't even close to the level of these guys. Just won't make em like they used to with the game evolving as it is.

TFB, the goat #kisstherings