The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

I was happy for both Geroy and Wally. Geroy made more money and Wally made space for a newer, younger guy. Win/Win

Would Geroy even want to sign a one day contract? His decision to retire as a rider may have nothing to do with the lions or Wally.

So does Braley get 2 votes during negotiations? Seems if a majority vote is required by the owners to accept a new deal, he would be voting twice. If the Lions and Argos are owned by different people the vote would be different as the Lions are a money maker and can thus afford a better deal for players while the Argos are losing cash.(Prior to the new tv deal anyway). So will Braley vote 2 times in favour of what his Argos need?

And wouldn't a lawyer for the players be all over looking at this to see if it is even legal?

So does Braley get 2 votes during negotiations? Seems if a majority vote is required by the owners to accept a new deal, he would be voting twice. If the Lions and Argos are owned by different people the vote would be different as the Lions are a money maker and can thus afford a better deal for players while the Argos are losing cash.(Prior to the new tv deal anyway). So will Braley vote 2 times in favour of what his Argos need?

And wouldn't a lawyer for the players be all over looking at this to see if it is even legal?

Now those are some interesting questions. I would assume he gets 2 votes, hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I think it will. From what I heard on the news, the players could strike as early as tomorrow.

Personally, I think Braley should be forced to sell one of the teams, too much of a conflict. Nice enough guy to talk to, but when he told all the fans last Sunday that he was committed to win the Grey Cup, it just seemed empty. I'm sure he said the same thing at the Argos event as well.

On a side note, damn those Lions Grey Cup rings are huge!

Edited by Grapefruits

Looks like we'll be getting underway soon...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1380991/cfl-cflpa-reach-tentative-agreement/

Was there really any doubt? I think it was kinda cute for the players to puff out their chests a bit but none of them really wanted to strike cause they couldn't afford it.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't go through.

I believe there was some doubt...most of these guys have other careers to fall back on if need be.

I'll just be glad to get some football underway....hate the lapse in between hockey seasons and football helps fill the void.

RUNNING BACKS LOGAN AND HARRIS READY TO ROLL FOR LIONS

6/10/2014 7:27:13 PM

KAMLOOPS, B.C. -- The B.C. Lions turned to a familiar face when their ground game was in tatters late last season, and Stefan Logan is looking forward to once again exploiting his unique backfield partnership with Andrew Harris in 2014.
"It's like ketchup and mustard," Logan said of the Lions' running back duo. "If you don't have ketchup and mustard on your hamburger, it won't be any good."
Logan was a dynamic threat for the Lions in 2008 before jumping to the NFL, but when the phone stopped ringing with offers down south he decided on a return to his former CFL club.
"As I was at home waiting on calls I was working out and staying in shape and stuff like that," said Logan. "When I talked to the B.C. Lions I was more than willing to come up here and help us win games."
A leaky offensive line and a tendency to abandon the ground attack meant the Lions were without a 100-yard rusher for 11 straight contests in 2013, but the speedy Logan's injection into the lineup helped the situation improve almost overnight.
A more south-runner, Harris was no longer the only focus for defences, and both he and Logan found some traction as the Lions ran for almost 200 yards a game over the season's final three weeks.
"(Harris) does a lot of different things that I don't do," Logan said at training camp last week. "He's more of a downhill, patient runner and hits the hole. I'm more of a slasher, getting inside and outside.
"He has the ability to do certain things that I'm not that great at, and I can do certain things that he can't do. That's what makes it such a great running back (combination)."
Despite all the struggles last season, Harris still managed to rush for 998 yards and seven touchdowns. Clearly frustrated at times, the Winnipeg native never criticized his coaches or teammates and is now looking forward to having Logan as a backfield counterpart for a full season.
"It's going to be a great give-and-take scenario. Having two guys to spell each other and feed off each other ... any time he makes a play, I'm going to want to make a play," said Harris. "I think we both bring a different skill set and that's something we can utilize. Having us both on the field at the same time is going to create mismatches with linebackers and in the pass game as well.
"I think no matter what we do we're going to be productive."
Not unfamiliar with the spotlight of being a ball carrier after mainly returning kicks in the NFL, Logan had sympathy for Harris when things weren't going well last season.
"I understand when people point the finger at you and it's not your fault. It's not like his running style had changed or he started tipping (plays) or anything like that," said Logan. "When you've got people pointing the finger, it's always going to be towards you because you're running the ball.
"If guys miss a block, the fans don't see that. All they see is you."
Lions head coach Mike Benevides parted ways with offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine after last season and replaced him with former CFL quarterback Khari Jones in hopes of reinvigorating a stagnant attack.
"What everybody's seen the last couple years in our league is you have to run the football," said Benevides. "Two years ago we were the best running team, last year we weren't but I think we showed an identity at the end of the season when we were running for 200 yards a game.
"With (Logan and Harris), you have two changeup guys. You have two elite players with different skill sets that can attack out of the backfield."
Jones has made it clear he wants to be aggressive, and with starting quarterback Travis Lulay still struggling to come back from shoulder surgery, the Lions could lean on Logan and Harris even more.
"It's going to give us some great options on offence," said Jones. "It's going to be our job as an offensive staff to find out how to best utilize those two guys and get them the ball in the right positions."
The Lions will host the Grey Cup in November, and with the CFL and its players' association now waiting to ratify a new labour agreement, the team is eager to see what a Logan-Harris backfield can do from the start.
"We're all about getting those positive yards and not putting that heat on our back. We want to put the team on our back to move forward," said Logan. "I felt (Harris's) pain last year and I wanted to come in and boost him up and let him know that it's going to be OK.
"I told him: 'You and I are going to be back here together and we're going to run this thing down their throat until the season is over."'

They are striking.

Marco Iannuzzi @iannuzzimarco · 2h

(1of4) After conversations with confidants within @MLB_PLAYERS @NFLPA as well as astute business figures in #Finance & #RealEstate I have...

(2of4) ...concluded that we the players of the @CFL have been taken advantage of during our #CBA negotiations...

(3of4) Now, after these #CollectiveBullyingNegotiations we have no choice but to strike for what is #fair...

4of4) My apologies to all those who will be affected; stadium staff(s), other businesses reliant on gameday revenue & of course to you fans.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

They are striking.

Apparently not:

CFL players ratify new collective bargaining agreement with league

TORONTO – The CFL Players’ Association has voted to accept a new collective bargaining agreement with the league.

The union said in a statement Thursday night that its players voted to accept the five-year contract reached Saturday with the CFL.

“It’s a YES!” offensive lineman Peter Dyakowski, a player rep with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, tweeted. “We’ve got a new CBA! It’s time to get back to football! #Everybodywins.”

The CFL’s board of governors is scheduled to vote on the deal Friday and the expectation is they’ll accept it.

The CFLPA didn’t provide a breakdown of the votes but a majority of players – 50 per cent plus one – on six of the nine CFL teams was required for the deal to be accepted.

The players voted in favour despite many expressing their unhappiness publicly and on social media about the deal. It offers a $5-million salary cap in the first year of the agreement after the CFLPA had originally sought a $6.24-million cap.

Last year, the CFL’s salary cap was $4.4 million.

The CFL also got the players to agree to its gross revenue formula that would trigger the renegotiation of the cap or entire collective agreement.

The players, who initially wanted the CBA to include revenue sharing, wanted the cap or entire agreement renegotiated if league revenues increased by more than $18 million – excluding the Grey Cup- in the third year of the deal. But the union ultimately agreed to the CFL’s figure of $27 million.

The union did get the option year on CFL contracts eliminated, excluding rookies. Also, the players’ practice day, for the most part, remains at 4.5 hours but can be increased to a maximum of six hours while teams will hold just one padded practice a week during the season.

Toronto Argonauts players met Wednesday night to discuss the agreement and centre Jeff Keeping, a member of the union executive, said good questions were asked.

“I’m happy the guys have all the facts,” Keeping said. “I feel at the end of the day the guys are more informed than they were prior to that.

The mood is mixed. Guys are entitled to their own opinion and every man is going to make his own choice.”

© The Canadian Press, 2014

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There's gonna be a lot of pissed off players with this going through.

Apparently not:

There's gonna be a lot of pissed off players with this going through.

Guess most of the guys didn't wanna go back to burger king or Rona and whatever else they do in the off season considering not everyone is like Ianuzzi who has a business degree.

The players really got the short end of the stick.

I watched a few plays yesterday, Beck's got a pretty good arm with a fast release, he forced a little but he's got potential.

QB position looks a lot more stable than I thought it was going to be

Wasn't a fan of Beck at all from what I saw. Missed a good portion of the game though. Partridge showed promise.

Now that I'm hone I'm gonna have to watch the entire game on the PVR, liked the look of a lot of the young guys from what i saw last night.

Wasn't a fan of Beck at all from what I saw. Missed a good portion of the game though. Partridge showed promise.

Now that I'm hone I'm gonna have to watch the entire game on the PVR, liked the look of a lot of the young guys from what i saw last night.

Yeah, I only saw 6 or 7 pays from scrimmage, game 5 was on.

Did you see that pass he threw to the Canadian kid with the African name? Ola something? Looks like he might have a gun with almost no windup.

I wasn't expecting much, he's only had 7 starts in the last 6 years and those were his first CFL reps.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

I believe there was some doubt...most of these guys have other careers to fall back on if need be.

I'll just be glad to get some football underway....hate the lapse in between hockey seasons and football helps fill the void.

I don't mind some World Cup hockey in between

Bodog.ca has released its picks to win the Grey Cup this year and its No. 1 choice is the host B.C. Lions, who sit as 15/4 favourites. The Calgary Stampeders and defending champion Saskatchewan Roughriders are behind them at 4/1.

Odds to win the 2014 CFL Grey Cup

B.C. Lions 15/4

Calgary Stampeders 4/1

Saskatchewan Roughriders 4/1

Hamilton Tiger-Cats 7/1

Toronto Argonauts 15/2

Montreal Alouettes 8/1

Edmonton Eskimos 9/1

Winnipeg Blue Bombers 12/1

Ottawa RedBlacks 18/1

Yeah, I only saw 6 or 7 pays from scrimmage, game 5 was on.

Did you see that pass he threw to the Canadian kid with the African name? Ola something? Looks like he might have a gun with almost no windup.

I wasn't expecting much, he's only had 7 starts in the last 6 years and those were his first CFL reps.

Missed it. PVR also didn't record the game for some reason. :angry:

Oh well, I'll be at the game tomorrow. Definitely get a better look at the QB situation. Hopefully Beck and Partridge at least get a quarter each to work with.

Gameday Playbook: June 20th vs Calgary Stampeders‏

For those players hoping to earn a role with the BC Lions this season, this game will be their last audition. Several of the understudies will perform with the proven stars to see if they demonstrate the talent needed for the big stage.

Head coach Mike Benevides used a mainly rookie production in last week’s 14-11 win over the Edmonton Eskimos. This week Benevides plans to play many of his veterans for at least two-and-a-half quarters at BC Place Stadium. He also wants to sprinkle some of the promising newcomers into the lineup to watch how they fit in with the starters.

ROOF UPDATE

Based on the current weather forecast we are planning for the roof to be open for tomorrow night's game and recommend you dress accordingly. A final decision will be made a few hours before kick-off.

BC LIONS STREET PARTY PRESENTED BY NISSAN

The BC Lions Street Party presented by NISSAN takes place starting at 5:00pm on the Terry Fox Plaza near the corner of Beatty and Robson just outside of Gate A of BC Place. Join host Vanni De Bartolo for a fun-filled event leading up to kick-off. The street party will feature a live DJ performance as well as the 2014 Felions dance team, face painting, poster making and much more.

This year, Lions fans have a new way to show their pride on game day! Make a donation at the Great Clips booth at every BC Lions Street Party this season to have your hair sprayed orange! All donations will be going to Team Finn to help raise funds for cancer research and improve the lives of seriously ill children and their families! Visit teamfinn.com for more information. Great Clips. It’s gonna be great!

HALF-TIME SHOW

Half-time for this game features an in-depth analysis of the BC Lions 2014 training camp and pre-season featuring a panel of local football experts including Scott Rintoul, Lowell Ullrich, Mike Beamish and Cam Tucker.

Edited by Grapefruits

Just checking out ticketmaster. Damn! Gonna be close to a full house by the looks of it. I know a lot were given away and the season ticket holders had access to a bunch for just service charges. But even the home opener looks promising.

Almost hope the Canucks blow for another season. The more fans the better at BC Place.