The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Geroy Simon ... not good enough for Lions, wins Grey Cup. What you say now Wally?

Today's performance - 3 for 67 yards, 2 TD's.

It was a salary issue.

Geroy still wanted to be paid as an all-star, but Wally wanted to pay him relative to his depth role. It was never about the Lions not believing in Geroy Simon.

1:30 am, Tuesday morning. Just got home from Grey Cup. What a blast. If you've never been to Grey Cup festivities I strongly recommend going here in Vancouver next season. Don't have to go to the game, just check out the parties the teams put on. This was my 6th Grey Cup and my tickets for number 7 are already paid for.

On a side note, Shea Emry was on my flight home, so talked to him for a while in the waiting area.

• Upvote 2

Jacques Chapdelaine is out.

http://bclions.com/a...laine-part-ways

Maybe he'll turn up in Ottawa next?

Good thing he is fired. It seemed like sometimes Lulay had to become the offensive coordinator on the field, he is always running around changing the play. He shouldn't have to do that that much, and Chapdelaine did nothing to stop the blitz that came to Lulay and basically made Lulay take hits when he shouldn't have to do that.

It only took 4 years but my prayers have finally been answered.Hopefully we get an OC who has a running game and an answer for the blitz.

Yeah, I think JC's departure was overdue.

I'm wondering who Wally has in mind as a replacement. JJ is the current QB coach (and former QB's seem to make good OC's), but I wonder if it might be a bit early in his coaching career for him to make that jump...

Yeah, I think JC's departure was overdue.

I'm wondering who Wally has in mind as a replacement. JJ is the current QB coach (and former QB's seem to make good OC's), but I wonder if it might be a bit early in his coaching career for him to make that jump...

He might have had Dave Dickenson in mind, but then the Stamps extended his contract the very next day.

So what's BCs tough decisions in the expansion draft ?

By my count were gonna lose a DB. If I'm Wally, I'm going to protect these imports:

Lulay

Logan

Arceneaux

Moore

C Taylor

Bighill

Elimimian

Olafioye

Parks

Marsh

Phillips

Leaving one of Banks or Bell available, along with Buck and E Taylor

Edited by mrsasaki

I think BC will protect Lulay (Obviously) and Buck will be claimed. I also think some of the older players will remain unprotected (McCallum, Valli, etc.)

I believe Valli already stated that if they claim him he will just retire, so don't bother. I imagine a few of our older players will take that stand.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/12/07/lions-dump-rich-stubler/

It isn’t every year that a team hosting the Grey Cup game starts off with two new co-ordinators, so what the B.C. Lions are about to undertake after Rich Stubler was let go Saturday certainly ranks as special.

Mike Benevides continued the off-season restructuring of his coaching staff by announcing that the defensive co-ordinator who was his first hire upon getting the job two years ago will not be back. Offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine parted ways last month.

Stubler’s defensive approach was one of bend-but-don’t-break, which meant the Lions were more focused on not having a deep pass completed. But with the 2013 season on the line there was more bending than normal.

B.C. only allowed less than 29 points once in its final six games, and there were more than a few observers at the West Division semifinal who wondered why the Lions didn’t adjust down the stretch when Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant began running into the teeth of their defence.

More later.

----------------------------

What idiot would think of doing this? Our defense was the only reason why we won games and you fire Stubler? Are you kidding me? This guy is intense, and a real football man. I just can't believe someone would get rid of Stubler when clearly the offense was the problem.

MARK WASHINGTON NAMED BC LIONS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that Mark Washington has been named the club’s defensive coordinator.

“Mark is one of our league’s best young coaches and I am very excited to have him accept the position of defensive coordinator,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “He’s a leader, a winner and he’s demonstrated that he is more than ready for this next step in his coaching career.”

Originally joining the Lions’ secondary in 2003 as a free agent, Washington played five seasons for the Leos including the club’s 2006 championship season before joining the team’s coaching ranks in 2008. Since becoming the club’s secondary coach, Washington has presided over 14 West Division All-Stars and nine CFL All-Stars in seven seasons.

Prior to his days in orange, Mark was a member of the Montreal Alouettes and spent six seasons with the Als beginning in 1997, culminating with a Grey Cup title in 2002.

Now entering his eighth year as a member of the Lions coaching staff, the Washington, DC native begins offseason preparations as the club’s new defensive coordinator.

“I am grateful for the opportunity Mike has given me and Ilook forward to the challenge of helping us win a championship,” said Washington. “We have a lot of talented players on this side of the ball and I expect great things from them in 2014.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like this move. Keeps the change in the family so to speak. Looking forward to seeing what changes he will make.

Edited by Grapefruits

Thomas DeMarco was drafted by the Redblacks. Here's the list of their first round expansion:

QB Kevin Glenn from Calgary

QB Thomas DeMarco from BC

RB Chevon Walker from Hamilton

DL Jonathan Williams from Toronto

DL Moton Hopkins from Montreal

WR Wallace Miles from Winnipeg

OL James Lee from Saskatchewan

WR Carelton Mitchell from Edmonton