The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

You bet they are! I'm going to be cheering this team on from Honolulu for the next month, so get out to the games. My tickets are already spoken for. Watch for my grand daughter giving her all to the Lions dance team in the game vs the Red Blacks. She's doing a bit of a routine with them, all 8 years old of her.

Aw, so awesome....my daughter did that too. It's so great that they offer that opportunity for girls because it actually helps get them interested in the sport.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

Aw, so awesome....my daughter did that too. It's so great that they offer that opportunity for girls because it actually helps get them interested in the sport.

It really is, her dad has an in with the Lions though, and she does love dance/gymnastics. I'm glad they've won the series vs the Stamps and the Riders, big implications for the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

It really is, her dad has an in with the Lions though, and she does love dance/gymnastics. I'm glad they've won the series vs the Stamps and the Riders, big implications for the playoffs.

Oh, different deal then. Back when my daughter did it it was something you could sign up for...they got to attend practice/learn the routine and then be on the "team" for a dance. Everyone was SO nice to her and it was a big thrill. She still has her t-shirt tucked away as a momento (we didn't wash it because it has some pretty important autographs on it!).  "Game worn"

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Cameron Judge won't be in the lineup against the Leos on Saturday:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/cfl-suspends-stampeders-linebacker-judge-for-one-game-following-incident-with-lions/

Canadian linebacker Cameron Judge received a one-game suspension from the CFL on Tuesday for a post-game altercation involving B.C. Lions receiver Lucky Whitehead.

The incident happened Saturday night following B.C.'s 31-29 overtime win at McMahon Stadium. After the game, Judge approached Whitehead, who'd removed his helmet, on the field and struck the Lions player, knocking Whitehead to the ground.

That touched off an on-field melee involving Lions and Stampeders players as Judge was ultimately led off the field.

A group of Lions players then made their way to Calgary's dressing room, but were met by police and security who were already present.

Nothing more transpired, other than some shouting between players from both teams.

"I respect what the league does. They're in charge," Calgary head coach Dave Dickenson said of the suspension. "I think Cam basically needs to talk for himself. "I just want our guys to understand we need to compete, we need to work. We really don't need any of that extracurricular stuff."

There was no reason provided for Judge's actions although there were reports Whitehead had made disparaging remarks about a member of Judge's family.

Judge did not reveal what Whitehead said to make him angry.

"I think the people who need to hear what went down heard it," Judge said Tuesday after the Stampeders practised.

"I could have definitely handled it better than how I did, but I'm going to take my punishment and move forward."

When asked if had, or will, appeal the suspension, Judge said no.

More in the link.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Not really CFL news, but Nathan's little brother Kurtis had (another) huge game today.....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/article/canadian-kurtis-rourke-throws-for-school-record-537-yards-ohio-edges-fordham/

Canadian Kurtis Rourke set a single-game passing record for Ohio with 537 yards and his fourth touchdown pass went to Jacoby Jones with 52 seconds remaining to help Ohio hold off FCS-member Fordham 59-52 on Saturday.

Fordham, trailing 53-52, drove to its 40 with five seconds left but the final play ended in Bryce Houston’s fumble return for a touchdown to prevent an FCS-FBS upset.

Rourke, a native of Oakville, Ont., and the younger brother of B.C. Lions star quarterback and Ohio graduate Nathan Rourke, was 41-of-50 passing with four touchdowns for Ohio (2-2), which totaled 692 yards. He also carried it 10 times for 45 yards and a score. Jones and Tyler Foster each had two touchdown grabs.

Tim DeMorat’s record-breaking day came up just short for Fordham (3-1), which was trying to open the season 4-0 for the first time since 2013 when the Rams opened with ten straight wins.

DeMorat threw his school-record sixth TD pass, the fourth to Fotis Kokosioulis for an 84-yarder, to put the Rams up 49-38 with 53 seconds left in the third quarter.

DeMorat was 27 of 35 for 503 yards and Kokosioulis had 13 receptions for a school-record 320 yards and four TDs. Kokosioulis’ scores went for 33, 74, 45 and 84 yards.

Sign him up....

• Like 1

Did anybody mention, in an earlier post, that the Lions really need a running game? :picard:

61 yards for Butler, on 11 carries

11 for Adams on 2 carries

7 for Pipkin on  4

Maybe someone mentioned the QB should have 2 designed carries per quarter, as well?:unsure:

The O-line did not look good last night. Getting beat even with 3 man rush. VA looked uncomfortable all game. His accuracy has never been pin point. But he was way off last night. And as great as the defence played, the lack of Qb pressure they got was disappointing.  Kick return blocking has to get better quick. I sure would like to the Lions starting with better field position once in a while. 

If they can get back to winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, then I think they have an excellent chance to make the Wester Conference Final. Beating Winnipeg there could be tough. But I’ll still have my popcorn ready. 

• Cheers 1

2 games tonight

Saskatchewan and Winnipeg @ 5 pm

Ottawa and Leos @ 7:30

Winnipeg is 12 points up on the Riders, with the same games played.

Lions, with 18 points, are tied for second in the division with Calgary;  Lions have a game in hand.

Ottawa is last in the league with 6 points;

Watch out Leo's.

itsatrap.jpg.0cbc4b000ec0cdd929cab058e0dd7d20.jpg

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Lions win 34-19

Adams goes 17-22 305 yards and 2 tds

Like you’ve pointed out a few times they’ve got to get a running game going. One of those games that you enjoy but have to remind yourself that it’s Ottawa.

Nice to see Adams looking a little more confident, hope he can string a few of these together.

• Upvote 1

Awesome night for my family. Lions win of course, however my grand daughter got to dance with the dance team, my grandson got Lucky’s autograph, and my son and wife took their International Students to their first CFL game. As well my oldest son went to the game with his three high school buddies.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On the side of things that make you think:

Why was Lucky Whitehead allowed to come back into that game?

And then why was he allowed to stay in, even after not being able to run, properly, behind the line of scrimmage; even prior to the ball snap?

IMO- someone screwed up big time, hope it does not hinder a proper recovery.

The O line allowed a few too many sacks, given the opponent.

Kicking team still needs work.

Plus side:

Awesome block by Scarfone to start the game off, and his one catch, for 25 yards, was needed to keep a drive going.

Playoff spot confirmed, now need updates on Rourke and Burnham return dates, and likely Whithead as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

On the side of things that make you think:

Why was Lucky Whitehead allowed to come back into that game?

And then why was he allowed to stay in, even after not being able to run, properly, behind the line of scrimmage; even prior to the ball snap?

IMO- someone screwed up big time, hope it does not hinder a proper recovery.

The O line allowed a few too many sacks, given the opponent.

Kicking team still needs work.

Plus side:

Awesome block by Scarfone to start the game off, and his one catch, for 25 yards, was needed to keep a drive going.

Playoff spot confirmed, now need updates on Rourke and Burnham return dates, and likely Whithead as well.

Apparently it's the 6 game DL for BB. (Fractured wrist) The team says they hope to have him back in time for some playoff action....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/lions-burnham-placed-on-six-game-injured-list/

• Thanks 1

Lions game time 1 pm pacific- up against the Jays game.

Saskatchewan lost to Hamilton last night so the standings, prior to lions game are this:

WEST DIVISION

RK TEAM GP W L T PTS F A HOME AWAY DIV
1  Winnipeg x 15 13 2 0 26 434 310 6-1-0 7-1-0 8-0-0
2  BC x 14 10 4 0 20 425 312 5-3-0 5-1-0 6-3-0
3  Calgary x 15 10 5 0 20 462 331 4-3-0 6-2-0 5-5-0
4  Saskatchewan 16 6 10 0 12 356 408 3-5-0 3-5-0 3-6-0
5  Edmonton 15 4 11 0 8 306 492 0-7-0 4-4-0 1-9-0

EAST DIVISION

RK TEAM GP W L T PTS F A HOME AWAY DIV
1  Toronto x 14 8 6 0 16 335 321 4-3-0 4-3-0 6-2-0
2  Montreal 14 7 7 0 14 363 355 4-3-0 3-4-0 3-3-0
3  Hamilton 15 5 10 0 10 333 398 5-3-0 0-7-0 3-5-0