The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lion Khalif Mitchell makes racist comment on his twitter towards Asians

taxi

I just don't get why people get so worked up over a word. I'm Italian and there are multiple terms used for us that are supposed to be considered racist. Daygos, guineas, wops....but I can say with all honesty, I couldnt care less if someone used any of those words. I know not everyone is like myself and some, if not most, choose to get upset over the use of a "racial slur", but in the end, it's just a word.

I just don't get why people get so worked up over a word. I'm Italian and there are multiple terms used for us that are supposed to be considered racist. Daygos, guineas, wops....but I can say with all honesty, I couldnt care less if someone used any of those words. I know not everyone is like myself and some, if not most, choose to get upset over the use of a "racial slur", but in the end, it's just a word.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

I'll give Khalif the benefit of the doubt (is that the correct phrase??) that he didn't know it was a racist comment. No second chances on that one. I prefer to believe most people are good at heart and no ill will was intended when using the word.

Just wondering why posters feel comfortable spelling "ch**ks" completely and not completely spell words such as "f**s" and "n****rs"?

Haha, and of course you made it abundantly clear that you didn't agree with the usage of the term in your post, right?

And I wasn't accusing you of being racist, namely, my point still stands. Just because people use the term liberally somehow makes the term not racist?

It's insensitive and ignorant, but not derogatory. The word "chi*nk" is, that's the difference.

I'm sorry, just because a word is commonly used in a community for a group of people does not make it acceptable. What exactly do you think people imply when they use the word ch*nk? DO you think the people in his community are using as a respectful word, or just because they're ignoramuses and don't know the words "Chinese person"?

Come on.

It doesn't matter that CDC doesn't know that flash is a racist term, because nobody is going around calling Fijians "flashes".

There's a very distinct difference.

So he didn't learn that it was offensive in school? Did he stop learning things when he left school? He's been in Vancouver for 2 years. If you haven't noticed Vancouver has a large percentage of people of Chinese background. He's has more than enough time to figure it out. Ignorance is no excuse. He should delete his Twitter account before it gets him into more trouble.

Do you hold Kalif to higher standards compared to your self?

Was it Jesus who said rise those amongst you who have not sinned?

The man immediately apologized. You can call him ignorant but he did not know it was a racist term. I believe him due to my life experience. You do not have to agree with me. It's just my opinion.

"CHINK" ...

A number of dictionaries have provided different suggestions as to the origin of chink. Some of these suggestions are that it originated from the Chinese courtesy ching-ching,[3] or that it evolved from the word China,[4] or that it was an alteration of Qing,[5] as in the Qing Dynasty (Ch'ing Dynasty), or that the word evolved from the other meaning of chink, which is a small crevice, crack, gap or a narrow opening, being a simile for small or slanted eyes. (Sometimes, the word is indeed employed as an adjective, as in chink-eyed.)[6]

The most obvious etymology is chink evolved from the Indo-Iranian word for China, that word now having similar pronunciations in various European languages, such as Persian.[7] And that the Indo-Iranian and hence European name for China is an alteration of the Chinese name Qin, which has recurred in Chinese history a number of times, including the name of the western kingdom, which took over the rest to form the first Empire. This was the first time the name had been seen, and now it is a very common family name in China and Vietnam (Cheng, Trinh, and similar). Because it is a very common family name, it is impossible to trace it back to any specific time place or person, and the lack of evidence for the coining of the term in English (or any other European language) is therefore not unusual. It is possible that word was imported into Indo-European as the name of the Qin state

Blame it on the Muslim world .. again .. (sarcasm alert) .. :)

I wholeheartedly believe that as a country (people) we in Canada are much less willing to accept a sincere apology opposed to our southern brethren.

Americans as a society are much more able to except a man's apology and move on.

I recall Pratt and Taylor had an American NFL reporter on their show. Pratt brought up the M Vick dog fighting thing. This is years after it all happened, Vick had served his time and was starting QB in Philly.

The American commented on it and attempted to move on but Pratt kept going back to the same topic, he just wouldn't let it go. Finally the man says (paraphrasing) here in America we believe if a man pays for his crime, pays his debt to society and apologises he has a right to move on in his life, but if you can't let go and if you can't move on then it's fine. We believe in forgiving and moving on in America.

I was already thinking the same thing, even before he made these comments.

I wholeheartedly believe that as a country (people) we in Canada are much less willing to accept a sincere apology opposed to our southern brethren.

Americans as a society are much more able to except a man's apology and move on.

I recall Pratt and Taylor had an American NFL reporter on their show. Pratt brought up the M Vick dog fighting thing. This is years after it all happened, Vick had served his time and was starting QB in Philly.

The American commented on it and attempted to move on but Pratt kept going back to the same topic, he just wouldn't let it go. Finally the man says (paraphrasing) here in America we believe if a man pays for his crime, pays his debt to society and apologises he has a right to move on in his life, but if you can't let go and if you can't move on then it's fine. We believe in forgiving and moving on in America.

I was already thinking the same thing, even before he made these comments.

Archived