The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What phone should I get?

Tom Sestito

i'm sure all the iphone people will crap all over this but honestly if you're going to be using alot of data and doing alot of texting just get a blackberry, the keyboard on them is ideal for texting/typing better than any other phone out there. Also data is condensed on blackberries so it uses alot less, guy at the store told me if you use 500mb of data with a blackberry you'd use about 3 times that with an iphone

I'd rarely be using my phone to call people.

I want the basic apps to work well and fast. Facebook, twitter etc.

I want the internet to load without problems.

A good screen, that's easy to text with.

Biggest one: Good sound.

Good video quality.

Good battery life.

A good screen, that's easy to text with.

I've been looking, and I can't decide.

Also, i'd want a plan with unlimited social media, and texting. Calls would probably not go over 5-10 minutes per month.

Any ideas? I've been looking at the Note 2, but that seems a bit big lol. Also prices? thanks.

I have the S3 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've done side-by-side comparisons with some of my co-workers' who have the iPhone 5; the screen on the Galaxy S3 makes the iPhone 5 look like a Fisher Price toy. When I use the iPhone 5 I feel like I'm using a 5 year old phone, because I kind of am. Apple hasn't really changed much of anything about their software experience besides adding a few Android features like the pull down bar etc. When you unlock an iPhone it's still the same old unlock method with no customization and the same old row of apps that you have to sort through. I feel like the next couple iterations of smartphones are going to really show Apple's innovative inferiority if they don't change quickly.

That being said some people like that sort of experience. I still think it is more interesting to be able to customize your homescreen with things that apply to you. There is no need to open an app to check the weather or toggle wifi etc, there are widgets for that. Lots of people love IOS still so if that's your thing, go for it!

In terms of the web browsing experience and social media, it's hands down the Galaxy in my books. Android actually has widgets for Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. that you can put on your homescreen (along with a million other widgets). The extra real-estate is also really nice for browsing non-mobile websites. Flash integration! Hockey fan? Football fan? Go to the TSN website and click the hilight videos on the side, they'll play no problem on your browser.

Happy hunting.

i'm sure all the iphone people will crap all over this but honestly if you're going to be using alot of data and doing alot of texting just get a blackberry, the keyboard on them is ideal for texting/typing better than any other phone out there. Also data is condensed on blackberries so it uses alot less, guy at the store told me if you use 500mb of data with a blackberry you'd use about 3 times that with an iphone

I want the basic apps to work well and fast. Facebook, twitter etc. (iphone 5) is good for this. ios6 actually has a awesome new facebook app

I want the internet to load without problems. Iphone 5. apparently some speed tests on youtube shows the iphone 5 on a 4g networking actually loading much faster then the guys pc plugged into the internet. the iphone5 actually defeated the s3 in internet loading speet test on every youtube video in regards to speed test iphone 5 vs s3.

Biggest one: Good sound. now this one i'm not sure, as there are very very very little reviews in terms of sound when it comes to sound. Maybe Sony xperia smart phone will do good in this category???

Good video quality. iphone5. They don't even need a 1080 resolution and it already looks like hd. This is absolutley no joke.

Good battery life. This you have to do some research now. But as far as I know, iphone5 battery life >>>>> s3. HOwever s3 you can change batteries.

A good screen, that's easy to text with. nowadays is all flat screen. The s3 gives you a bigger screen, that being said at the cost of a bigger phone. If you want something to test with your looking at a black berry, which is a quality phone.

The beast the iphone 5.

With inferior specs to many of its competitors, the iphone 5 speed tests still shows as the fastest smart phone on the planet. I don't even know how apple does this. Their screen is not actually an hd screen, yet it actually already looks hd. They are f in amazing in hardware and soft ware. Out of all your criterias the iphone scored the most points, lol. Anyways, I think you should do some research first. Go test out the iphone 5, go test these phones out for your self. My sister uses a windows phone and I love it. Everyone I know that owns and iphone 5, they all love. The S3 is the most overrated phone on the planet. Samsung did a great job screwing people into buying that low quality piece of crap. If you do android, which I don't suggest, DON'T get the s3.

Man. today everyone needs a cellphone doing everything, but not using them as a phone of course...

my cell is a Samsung, not a flat screen, no touch screen, a medium one (I bought in Argentina), but even calling/receiving the battery hold for 3 weeks! send SMS, videos, photos and with 2 chips. I don´t need anything better than it...

if I need a GPS I have a Garmin AERA 500, professional use designed for Aviation, I also have a Garmin 296 (also for Aviation) and the battery can hold for 10 hours. both contain precise terrain database and voice activation. my notebook is a nice and strong DELL and the battery hold for 4 hours even playing games on it...

I will not buy an Iphone and pay 1000 bucks for that. the battery can´t hold for 1 day! pfff!

Man. today everyone needs a cellphone doing everything, but not using them as a phone of course...

my cell is a Samsung, not a flat screen, no touch screen, a medium one (I bought in Argentina), but even calling/receiving the battery hold for 3 weeks! send SMS, videos, photos and with 2 chips. I don´t need anything better than it...

if I need a GPS I have a Garmin AERA 500, professional use designed for Aviation, I also have a Garmin 296 (also for Aviation) and the battery can hold for 10 hours. both contain precise terrain database and voice activation. my notebook is a nice and strong DELL and the battery hold for 4 hours even playing games on it...

I will not buy an Iphone and pay 1000 bucks for that. the battery can´t hold for 1 day! pfff!

I looooooooove my Blackberry 9900. My brother had a 9700 for a long time and recently switched to the HTC One X. Most of my friends have various iPhones.

In my opinion, BBs are hands down the best for messaging/emailing, I don't think many can argue against that. For multimedia purposes, Android or Apple will do the trick due to the larger screen. Good luck getting enough data to accommodate those wants, though, especially if you're activating a new plan as there is little incentive for providers to give you a good deal.

For your needs it really seems to come down to an iPhone or any higher tier Android one. Check out your friends' and see which one suits you better. Asking CDC will only get you biased replies!

I looooooooove my Blackberry 9900. My brother had a 9700 for a long time and recently switched to the HTC One X. Most of my friends have various iPhones.

In my opinion, BBs are hands down the best for messaging/emailing, I don't think many can argue against that. For multimedia purposes, Android or Apple will do the trick due to the larger screen. Good luck getting enough data to accommodate those wants, though, especially if you're activating a new plan as there is little incentive for providers to give you a good deal.

For your needs it really seems to come down to an iPhone or any higher tier Android one. Check out your friends' and see which one suits you better. Asking CDC will only get you biased replies!

Archived