The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

And if anybody thought the leap in graphics would be as astounding as it was from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3 you're out to lunch. This generation imo, is more about a leap in what can be done, not what can be seen.

It may not be a big leap, but this picture (PS4) looks better than the PS3's graphics.

face.jpg-25b91bc05f4ad5ca.jpeg

Wouldn't the multiple OS end up eating through the RAM though?

Should be noted, Australian EB game site had a placeholder price of the Xbox one at $899. Game sites mess up all the time but with all the TV and sport crap, $899 might unfortunately be close to what to expect for the new generation consoles.

No way the starting price will be $900. PS4 is projected to start between $400-$500 and we already saw how PS3 suffered from charging a larger tag than the 360. Plus consoles make as much money on extra content it would not benefit them to launch the price into the gaming PC ballpark and make PS4 the economical choice.

if you truely think the PS4 games will all (or any) have that level of detail you are sorely mistaken.

Why do you say that?

I mean obviously most games won't look like that but considering how much power the PS4 (and even the Xbox One) has and not to mention that video was on the PS4. If it wasn't possible how else would they be able to showcase it off the system?

Keep in mind what was accomplished with those far weaker systems in games oriented on realistic faces such as Heavy Rain, LA Noire, and Beyond: Two Souls. It certainly isn't impossible for that to appear in games like that.

If PS3 can handle this why can't PS4 handle that?

gsm_169_beyond_vf_032113_640x360.jpg

To be honoest, I was rather suprised by the PS4 announcement and its release schedule, because I thought both new consoles (and the software for them) would need at least another year to get polished and that there was still some life in the current gen. Not to mention we usually get at least 12 months to get hyped about the new hardware yet it seems Sony is breaking all the rules this year and they look deteremined to get ahead of Microsoft in the new round of console deathmatch.

Judging from Microsoft's belated, knee-jerk response to PS4's announcement, it seems the Redmond camp was caught off guard by Sony and I think they were probably planning to announce the new Xbox in this years's E3 and launch it in 2014. Now, although E3 is just a few weeks away, it is still a concern that Microsoft had not shown any actual gameplay footage of their games, exlusive or not. Other than CoD Ghosts, all of the trailers shown in the presser, including EA's are just pre-rendered videos that may or may not have used the in-game assets. It is never strategically recommended to hold back from showcasing your core products, given your competitor's early lead in presentation. Although they claim they are releasing 15 exclusive titles within the first year of Xbone's™ launch, it could also mean you're not getting any exlusives at all at launch. It is also questionable whether they could actually pull it off within the first year.

Unless Microsoft is secretly cooking something mind-blowing for E3, I think Sony is winning the openning round.

Why do you say that?

I mean obviously most games won't look like that but considering how much power the PS4 (and even the Xbox One) has and not to mention that video was on the PS4. If it wasn't possible how else would they be able to showcase it off the system?

Keep in mind what was accomplished with those far weaker systems in games oriented on realistic faces such as Heavy Rain, LA Noire, and Beyond: Two Souls. It certainly isn't impossible for that to appear in games like that.

If PS3 can handle this why can't PS4 handle that?

gsm_169_beyond_vf_032113_640x360.jpg

i didn't say it couldn't handel that, i said they won't have that. noone will take that much effort into doing that much detail for every character in the game, when the camera will never be close enough to bother to do that much detail.

and there's a HUGE difference between that PS3 image and the PS4 render. i don't even know why you would even reference that.

that's like me saying, well the NES can do this:

supermario3.jpg

so clearly there is no reason to not believe the Wii U can do this:

8782402620_eb3b4172f6.jpg

i didn't say it couldn't handel that, i said they won't have that. noone will take that much effort into doing that much detail for every character in the game, when the camera will never be close enough to bother to do that much detail.

and there's a HUGE difference between that PS3 image and the PS4 render. i don't even know why you would even reference that.

that's like me saying, well the NES can do this:

supermario3.jpg

so clearly there is no reason to not believe the Wii U can do this:

8782402620_eb3b4172f6.jpg

What you just said made absolutely no sense. You are blantantly announcing without any sources or even logical back up that no developer will ever take the time to produce a game that features graphics of that detail.

The video animation shown at the PS4 reveal of the old man's head was produced by the company Quantic Dream. Now in my previous post I listed 3 games that specifically prided themselves on visual detail, two of those games being Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Both of those games are PS3 only games developed by none other than Quantic Dream. Quantic Dream has also already announced that they are working on a PS4 title.

So despite all of the above you still feel you are qualified to announce that the PS4 won't have any games developed that ephasize graphics of that nature?

As far as your NES to Wii U reference goes I can't see whatever the NES picture is but that comparison is rediculous as it is. It's like comparing a stone to a modern day tire they are so far apart and uses such different componants they aren't comparable. The PS3 and 360 are inferior to PC gaming because they can't produce enough power to match PC with graphics or general in game action. My reference in graphics jump is plausible because the PS4 has 50% more graphic power than the Xbox and both systems feature power that is in the ballpark of todays average to lower average gaming PC's. My point of posting that was to say PS4 can handle those graphics which you agreed with.

What you just said made absolutely no sense. You are blantantly announcing without any sources or even logical back up that no developer will ever take the time to produce a game that features graphics of that detail.

The video animation shown at the PS4 reveal of the old man's head was produced by the company Quantic Dream. Now in my previous post I listed 3 games that specifically prided themselves on visual detail, two of those games being Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Both of those games are PS3 only games developed by none other than Quantic Dream. Quantic Dream has also already announced that they are working on a PS4 title.

So despite all of the above you still feel you are qualified to announce that the PS4 won't have any games developed that ephasize graphics of that nature?

As far as your NES to Wii U reference goes I can't see whatever the NES picture is but that comparison is rediculous as it is. It's like comparing a stone to a modern day tire they are so far apart and uses such different componants they aren't comparable. The PS3 and 360 are inferior to PC gaming because they can't produce enough power to match PC with graphics or general in game action. My reference in graphics jump is plausible because the PS4 has 50% more graphic power than the Xbox and both systems feature power that is in the ballpark of todays average to lower average gaming PC's. My point of posting that was to say PS4 can handle those graphics which you agreed with.

they won't take the time to make that much detail because it will never be seen. TV's resolutions are not high enough to warrant that. It's a waste of resources to create player models that detailed when in game it'll never show that detail.

they won't take the time to make that much detail because it will never be seen. TV's resolutions are not high enough to warrant that. It's a waste of resources to create player models that detailed when in game it'll never show that detail.

I understand what you are saying now. It's still incorrect but I get it haha.

If you stand inches from someone you will see the details down to the pours like in that rendering. If you move back 10 feet you will no longer be able to see the pours and fine details but that person still looks far more realistic than say the picture I posted from Beyond: Two Souls. It isn't because your eye can see in a resolution far superior, that's just the base of it. What makes life look real is those details relfected through realistic motions and lighting added to that extreme detail. Something that many people overlook.

A character that has that much detail will maintain a life like imagine when zoomed in and out on. The base of the model even at a distance will maintain more life like movements from expressions and lip movemen as well as holding a realistic bouncing of light and skin tones.

I really don't know why you referenced TV resolution. If TV resolution can handle real life and advanced CGI I don't understand why you'd think it can't handle videogame graphics which is by far the lesser detailed of the 3.

For reference this is Halo 4's CGI at 720p which clearly wasn't suffering from a lack of resolution.

PS4 was basically saying they now have the power to bring top of the line CGI like graphics into actual gameplay.

If you still think differently that is fine. I still think it's silly that you are still arguing that a company whose entire theme is maintaining and advancing graphics beyond any other gaming company for games that are modeled to look and play like movies is just going to call it quits and not bother being the extra work into pushing gaming graphics to the next level. But if you feel otherwise still all I can say is keep a look out for the PS4 game Quantic Dreams will be releasing and if they in fact decided to not put the extra effort in and don't have the best graphics of any game to date you can feel free to send me my crow.

Kinda right kinda wrong IMO. While a cinematic would be that clear I certainly couldn't see the gameplay being the same. Lots of RPGs have shown this.

Kinda right kinda wrong IMO. While a cinematic would be that clear I certainly couldn't see the gameplay being the same. Lots of RPGs have shown this.

That's what I'm worried about too. I don't expect those graphics during gameplay, but I do still expect better graphics than the prior generation.

Archived