The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

im still waiting regardless probably 2 years til a library is built for the ps4 same time i waited for the ps3

in the meantime the wii u and 3ds are interesting to me seems like nintendo is supporting the 3ds more than the wii u but after e3 should be a good indication what is coming out in the next year

I know I'll enjoy it and I know millions will as well.

You can't expect them to give you all the info of the console within the hour. These conferences do not work like that.

Obviously we'll get a more in depth look at e3, that's how it's always been.

Yes you could probably say ps4 has better exclusive titles, but that's all opinion based. What I didn't here from Sony they will have 15+ exclusive tittles within the first YEAR of launch.

Including 8 brand new franchises.

I own all 3 consoles, I mainly play my Xbox because all my friends have them. My point being Xbox has already won the console selling wars, people are buying Xbox more then ps3 and wii now.

So getting back to my point, of course they'll try to appeal to more "family type gamers". For them that's where they'll sell more consoles, and it'll work. BUT what this means is a better experience for the hardcore gamers, we'll have more to do and with more sales, even more exclusives.

I only see good things for Microsoft going forward.

I am not saying Xbox won't sell millions that is an obvious statement.

Put it this way...

What you are implying is that just because a system changes to favor 1 crowd it's not going to lose a previous crowd it had. This is not true. Recreational gamers are the favored market while hardcore gamers are the ones being isolated. If PS4 appeals to the hardcore gamer why would you think that previously loyal hardcore Xbox gamers won't jump to PS4? If anything the facts are in front of you. This reveal is drawing a much more negative response from hardcore gamers and many of these people are already saying they will go PS4. Can you really speak for people who are saying the exact opposite?

This has never worked in the gaming industry. Many franchises have tried to simplify some advanced aspects of games to suit the recreational gamer for the sake of sales and while sales may still benefit some of the games fell into early graves and in some cases simply lost the hardcore gamers. For example Halo 4 saw this despite praise for the campaign the multiplayer was critisized for it's overly user friendly game style allowing ordanance calls and magnetic bullets. Despite it's tremendous sales many of the hardcore gamers left for the other shooters and within a couple months Halo's multiplayer's population dropped by a larger percentage than any other game being played.

It's like Chrysler marching out a minivan but putting a powerful engine in it and giving the sleak curves and indents of a sports car and expecting this to appeal to both families and people into muscle and sports cars.

In addition keep this in mind. Hardcore gamers hate playing with younger kids. Going into games with people who don't understand it and then dealing with kids who scream over the headsets. On numerous games message boards this is always one of the most complained about things when dealing with randoms and Xbox is just asking for more of it.

Yes it may sell. but hardcore gamers don't care what the crowd is doing they go for what offers them what they want and I don't think it's mass hysteria the majority of hardcore gamers are irritated with Xbox now.

It should also be noted that when the 360 went on sale against the PS3 it was still riding the now faded Halo craze and the PS3 was grossly overpriced. This year the grounds are much different.

For the record I also have an Xbox and a PS3 I actually play my Xbox more than my PS3 and I may even get the Xbox One down the road after the price drops just because I am that much of a gamer. But I don't see how anyone can sit here and say that Xbox just outshined what PS4 offered from a pure gaming standpoint.

Ever wonder why people always get excited by all the Movie/TV announcements in every Xbox press conference?

DvilFfz.png

e0cIP2E.jpg

These companies usually hire people to cheer during their press conferences, and I'd imagine that's what Microsoft did today... Because some of the things they cheered for were... not cheer worthy...

Galkai allows Sony to get PS1-PS3 games on a Cloud and emulate. It's already been said that they are aiming to use it for backwards compatibility the emulation route. Similar to what the original PS3's did for PS2 games and the like.

The new Xbox has nothing really like this available to them, so.. yeah. No. There probably won't be any backwords compatibility at all unless someone makes a homebrew type thing.

It seems as if PS4 and Xbox One will be coming out around the same time, where as last time I think it was almost a whole year or at least several months where the 360 had a big time advantage was which more or less was the sole reason that the PS3 struggled so much early.

The real issue today was, Microsoft pissed off their core demographic. Gamers. Social media was blasting them. Sites like 4chan were blasting them. And not just normal people and gamers, the stock market also spoke by seeing a 8% spike in Sony's stock. If the PS4 and Xbox One have equal E3's, this is going to be a huge, potentially fatal blow to them. They basically need to steal the show by a wide margin at E3, or the media and general voice of the gamers on sites and twitter will pretty much turn on the 360. People are fickle these days, and they basically crap the bed pretty badly with this announcement.

While they have a lot of potential for TV junkies and the like, like it's a new DVR.. well.. TV companies and others already have that. Most people already have that. It's a very risky move. You basically threaten the bulk of your sales in gamers, and hope to grab a bunch of others to make up for it almost. It couldn't of really gone much worse as far as a reveal goes. Not to mention.. all this movie, and sports crap? Well, guess what.. with all the crap involving copyright and such in Canada? Just like how Canadian Netflix blows compared to US? Some of the TV crap they're aiming for.. might not even matter for us.

I have a friend who works for EA and has used both consoles. He wont tell me as he has signed an NDA but he said there is definitely one very distinct winner this generation.

It was a bunch of TV talk. They actually crash and burned so hard that they drove Sony's stock up by 8% in an hour. Sony pulled it off way better, way earlier. What little gameplay they did show was crap. The system is pretty generic and fat looking too. They need a killer E3.

how many more times are you going to mention the stock scenario? first of all in my opinion it wasn't a disaster. this conference was to inform about the console features, game stuff is what E3 is for. i for one wouldn't call it a disaster at all.

sincerely,

hardcore gamer since commodore 64 days.

I have a friend who works for EA and has used both consoles. He wont tell me as he has signed an NDA but he said there is definitely one very distinct winner this generation.

I have a friend too and he said their is a distinct winner but he can't say either.. Joking

on a side note, i was very pissed that when EA Sports announced its new next gen titles that NHL14 wasn't part of it.

Game comes out in September, consoles won't come out till two months later. It's not the end of the world.

PlayStation Euphoria: EA previously announced that the new EA Sports Ignite Engine will work on Madden 25, EA Sports UFC, NBA Live 14 and FIFA 14 but we heard no news on whether NHL will receive the next generation treatment or not. We asked and they have responded back. Ritu Sidhu, a member of the EA Sports Communications team, has informed us that NHL 2014 will not be coming to next generation platforms this year.

on a side note, i was very pissed that when EA Sports announced its new next gen titles that NHL14 wasn't part of it.

GTA 5 isn't on it, which is a must buy game. But it could be later tho.

how many more times are you going to mention the stock scenario? first of all in my opinion it wasn't a disaster. this conference was to inform about the console features, game stuff is what E3 is for. i for one wouldn't call it a disaster at all.

sincerely,

I won't speak for everyone...

But I had no problem with them not showing off new games. I had a problem with them showing off all the advancements they made in reference to TV. I wanted to see the advancements they made to the console as a gaming system. PS4 touched upon how the system makes the gaming experience better. Xbox basically just said we can find your perfect match based on your achievements then talked about how watching football would be super cool totes awesome and glossed over the new rules and regulations they will be enforcings saving some until after the show.

sincerely,

Agreed, sad that people are getting their panties in a twist because Xbox didn't kneel down and blow the hardcore market for the 1-hour span that had been allotted for them. For the bajillionth time, the games will be at E3 and it's very close already, the point of unveiling the new console is to show off what's THE new stuff, yes the same thing goes for games but at least that's a given. The PS4 unveiling was only slightly less rigid in that regard.

And if anybody thought the leap in graphics would be as astounding as it was from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3 you're out to lunch. This generation imo, is more about a leap in what can be done, not what can be seen.

Same man, 4 titles? I knew FIFA, NBA, MLB would be there and was really hoping NHL would be last one especially since the NHL devs had neither confirmed nor denied it but nope it's the goddamn UFC.

The most significant improvement that Xbox One brings with it is something gamers may never really notice: The operating system.

Speaking to Polygon, Ben Kilgore, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business and one of the chief architects for the new console, said the console's new hardware and software architecture is the main thing that makes this new Xbox better than the 360.

"It is a combination of hardware and software," he said. "I think the most magical thing that we have done that is going to give us a platform of innovation in the next decade is the architecture. We have multiple operating systems that are able to co-exist to allow game developers ... to get exclusive access to a bunch of resources."

The Xbox One runs on three distinct operating systems. One powers the games, another, the kernel of Windows 8, powers the apps and a third, always-on operating system, connects the two.

This system allows Microsoft to essentially partition those non-gaming apps like Skype, Internet Explorer and movie and music players off from the resources used to power the gaming operating system.

"So basically when you look at all of the dashboarding samples that were shown today, the Internet Explorer or Skype, all those things run in that operating system," he said. "They are basically partitioned from the game, so that's how the game is guaranteed to have a great performance so even if you are doing a Skype call or snapping IE on the side or watching Netflix."

Microsoft's Phil Harrison added that the significance of this design is that game developers will always have an "absolute guarantee of performance."

That's achieved through hardware architecture that gives the game operating system a "fixed reservation" of CPU power, Harrison said. The same is true for Kinect.

"We have special processors for Kinect that enables a bunch of really cool things like part of what you saw today, when Youssef was like in internet explorer and said 'Go to home' or 'Go to ESPN'," Kilgore said. "He also said 'Go to Halo' and when he was in Halo he could have gone somewhere else. So the system is always listening, kind of outside of the game, which is really different from the 360 model, once you get into the game, it's really only the game code that is running. So we can extend all that in our system versus it being tied up in the game code."

That trio of operating systems is how Microsoft was able to include a single universal command in the Xbox One, "Xbox pause," which will pause the action no matter what you're doing, be it playing a game, watching a movie, or Skyping.

It's also why the Xbox One includes a new saved game architecture, one that allows you to stop playing a game whenever you want and simply save where you are until you're ready to resume, even if you turn off the console.

"So when you are gaming and your phone rings, and you want to answer it but you don't want to worry about losing progress in your game," Kilgore said.

Kilgore and Harrison likened the operating system as something more akin to smartphones in the way it handles multiple applications, pausing and saving. The Xbox One is a console designed to work around your schedule, instead of forcing gamers to work around the save points of a game developer.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4356280/xbox-one-architect-operating-system-is-the-xbox-ones-game-changer

Wouldn't the multiple OS end up eating through the RAM though?

Should be noted, Australian EB game site had a placeholder price of the Xbox one at $899. Game sites mess up all the time but with all the TV and sport crap, $899 might unfortunately be close to what to expect for the new generation consoles.

Archived