The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

23 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I am sure there are lots of great movies you enjoy that a lot of people think suck.  And Vice Versa. But, the greater population of movie watchers enjoyed John Wick 1 + 2.

:lol: - This reminds me of any time I pick a movie, and my wife (and her sister, if she's there) get worried, because I once recommended The Road.

However, The Road was fantastic, and most of the movies they like suck worse than John Wick. To each their own.

...I only took shots because of your "I'm offended" response.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

A broad statement like a movie sucks deserves a broad statement of defense.

I truly enjoyed both films a lot - find them fun to watch. The action scenes/sequences were filmed and choreographed very well.

Pretty sure there aren't that many action flick sequels out there with those ratings on both sites.

So when someone says a movie I enjoy just straight up sucks I get defensive! :rolleyes:

And John Wick did have a plot - a very simple plot sure. But that added to it being great and darkly humorous for me.

To each there own - but I know lots of people who enjoyed both John Wicks and have re-watched them a few times.

Fair enough, but to this:

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

John Wick 2 has almost an 8/10 on imdb and an 85% rotten tomato rating.

I've become very sceptical of RT over the years, and I've been religiously going to it since 2001. Only because, while the "rating system" is "alright" at best, it's certainly not consistent, as the same reviewers aren't reviewing every single movie. So when a guy rates movie "ABC" a 2/5 on his rating system and it's then giving a "rotten" score on RT, the same guy may not (see: usually) not then rating the next film "XYZ" at all.

So while RT is a decent guideline, and again I've been going there for the past 16 years, it's not as strong as it used to be.

Just because Life (Jake Gyllenhaal film) was "liked" (I use that broadly) and received a RT score 68%, it doesn't mean it was therefore a good film.

Just now, D-Money said:

This reminds me of any time I pick a movie, and my wife (and her sister, if she's there) get worried, because I once recommended The Road.

:lol: 

That. Is. Amazing.

When my wife and I were dating, she knew I liked darker films. But she was so reserved and "vanilla" at the time, she didn't know how dark films really could be. She hadn't been exposed to them. So this was like 3 months into dating, and we arrive at the movie theatre and she says, "Let's see Gangs of New York. We've been seeing films that I like lately, so let's see that one."

That was the first time I saw her cry.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

:lol: 

That. Is. Amazing.

When my wife and I were dating, she knew I liked darker films. But she was so reserved and "vanilla" at the time, she didn't know how dark films really could be. She hadn't been exposed to them. So this was like 3 months into dating, and we arrive at the movie theatre and she says, "Let's see Gangs of New York. We've been seeing films that I like lately, so let's see that one."

That was the first time I saw her cry.

Even just over a week ago, my parents were over, and we were trying to find a movie to watch.

Me: "I've been wanting to see this movie, Hunt For the Wilderpeople, for a while now."

Her: "[skeptically] ...What's it about?"

Me: "[Explains basic plot]... ...it was made in New Zealand."

Her: "...This better not be another 'THE ROAD'."

(Everyone loved Hunt... but it won't matter - it will still likely come up the next time I recommend a movie.)

Just now, D-Money said:

Even just over a week ago, my parents were over, and we were trying to find a movie to watch.

Me: "I've been wanting to see this movie, Hunt For the Wilderpeople, for a while now."

Her: "[skeptically] ...What's it about?"

Me: "[Explains basic plot]... ...it was made in New Zealand."

Her: "...This better not be another 'THE ROAD'."

(Everyone loved Hunt... but it won't matter - it will still likely come up the next time I recommend a movie.)

My wife trusts me for the most part, now. The last film I subjected her to that absolutely traumatised her was "28 Weeks Later". That was like 10 years ago in theatres; but she still has nightmares about it. She's 35 and she has nightmares about a zombie film!

But ever since then, I've been up front with the films we're seeing and will just say, "No, no you don't want to see Friday the 13th, sweetie. That's insane."

I watched John Wick, it was well shot with kind of a video game approach to it.  I remembered watching a slough of movies and shows with GoT characters in it and this was one of them with Theon Nod1ck.  I'd give it an 8/10, it kept me entertain.  I'll keep an eye out for when the sequel hits moviecentral.

i watched Beat Shazam the other night. I found it quite good surprisingly.

it is a new game show created and hosted by Jamie Foxx...produced by Mark Burnett.

if you like music trivia and mixed with some comedy, you may enjoy it too.

3 teams playoff for the first part until it gets down to one team who plays against Shazam(music recognition software) for a chance at 1 Million dollars.

it moves along nice and quick unlike other 1 million dollar game shows, and from what i can tell....the payouts each show are gonna be quite large as you only lose half yer bank if you risk it all for the 1 million dollar question.....first 2 payouts were 360g and 180g.

its all based around music trivia which is why i got interested and add in Jamie as the host and it makes for an entertaining combo.

no rating, just thought id mention it for anyone thats into that sort of thing....its on Fox on thursdays i believe.

Time for some Retro Movie reviews

The Great Outdoors(1988) 8/10

Classic summertime movie the whole family can enjoy together.  It was on tv on Sunday(its probably on Netflix) and it was nice to reminisce while I was watching one of my favorite movies as a kid(was 9yo when this came out).  I even laughed at some of the jokes I didn't get when I was a kid like "Go find yourself a spin cycle".  It has the late great John Candy and fellow Canadian Dan Aykroyd.

Wonder Woman - 7/10

To me, there is no one score for the super hero movie, and another one for movies overall. 7 mostly for the gags and some decent historical appropriation, and the good looks of the lead.

Overall it was alright, but I was very disappointed with the whole Dragon Ball Z thing in the end. It's like they run out of ideas and let's just blow crap up.

wonder-woman-featured-image-gal-gadot.jp

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Time for some Retro Movie reviews

The Great Outdoors(1988) 8/10

Classic summertime movie the whole family can enjoy together.  It was on tv on Sunday(its probably on Netflix) and it was nice to reminisce while I was watching one of my favorite movies as a kid(was 9yo when this came out).  I even laughed at some of the jokes I didn't get when I was a kid like "Go find yourself a spin cycle".  It has the late great John Candy and fellow Canadian Dan Aykroyd.

One of the best family films, I love this movie.

just saw guardians of the galaxy 2, was very funny and entertaining, however was very predictable. 6/10 

• Upvote 1

Alien: Covenant - 3/10

This really, really hurts. I love Alien and Aliens. And I actually really enjoyed Prometheus. Oh, and Alien 3 and 4 don't count. Those don't exist.

This? This was terrible. In Prometheus, at least there were some likeable characters, and Noomi Rapace was a strong lead. Here? All the characters, ALL were morons. None were strong, and none of them were likeable or had redeemable qualities.

It was a gorgeous looking film, and Fassbender's performance as both androids (David and Walter) were actually very good. And although androids, both were portrayed quite differently, as they were different models.

But again, awful.

IMG_1710.JPG

@Monty I'm a huge Alien fan, too...This news upsets me, but I guess i'll have to suck it up and watch it anyways, I have no choice.

Has anyone watched the FX TV series Fargo?

I watched 90's flick years ago and only remember bits and pieces, so I never really had interest in watching the TV series. I ended up downloading all of season 1 last week and binged it, half way through season 2 and it's a very very solid show.

Crime, Drama, Dark Humor, over-the-top Minnesota accents....Just a good solid watch if you have nothing else to watch this summer!

13 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

@Monty I'm a huge Alien fan, too...This news upsets me, but I guess i'll have to suck it up and watch it anyways, I have no choice.

It's really bad.

The gore level is right up there, but none of it is tense. Whenever characters died, I never once felt anything. You really didn't care.

The first deaths are legitimately "laugh out loud" funny/bad. This isn't really a spoiler, because you'll think the exact same thing when it happens, but leading up to the deaths, there's literally 3 slapstick moments (the first two literally the same), and I, along with everyone in the theatre, was laughing. It was a prat fall.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

...there's literally 3 slapstick moments (the first two literally the same)...

She says, like literally 
Music is the air she breathes
And the malaprops make me want to f$#&ing scream
I wonder if she even knows what that word means
Well, it's literally not that

-  The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt., Father John Misty

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

She says, like literally 
Music is the air she breathes
And the malaprops make me want to f$#&ing scream
I wonder if she even knows what that word means
Well, it's literally not that

-  The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt., Father John Misty

In this case, I'm using the word correctly.

The scene is preposterous.