The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Big Hero 6 - 6.5/10

Not bad. Had some laughs, especially with the robot. Didn't expect it to be so dark.

dark? what did you find dark about the movie? i thought it was incredibly inoffensive and easy going. easy markers of identification for whatever shape, size, race your kid is etc

anyway, speaking of movies i hate... doing some old Oscar best picture winners:

shakespeare in love: 4/10

a few cute lines, but camp-levels of romance. shakespeare recites shakespeare in rhythm with his thrusts. token scenes with famous quotes that don't fit the narrative at all, but are probably easily recognizable to audiences anyway... just straight up crap.

to think this beat out saving private ryan, thin red line, and even life is beautiful... lol

Tremors - 9 KevinBacons / 10

spoiler - turns out those bastards broke into the wrong goddamned rec room.

edit- man we were making jokes during the movie, but I just looked at imdb and it is the same little girl from Jurassic Park

Edited by The Bookie

Tremors - 9 KevinBacons / 10

spoiler - turns out those bastards broke into the wrong goddamned rec room.

edit- man we were making jokes during the movie, but I just looked at imdb and it is the same little girl from Jurassic Park

I think we used to have this movie on VHS when I was very young, or I otherwise watched it a bunch of times on TV. But I then managed to grow up with this movie somehow never again being mentioned by anyone, so whenever the idea of the movie used to come to mind, I began remembering it wrong as a low budget, obscure film.

I then later found it was the large cult classic that it is. Makes it all the more odd that I went 15-20 years without even the name of the movie ever coming up. I still haven't seen it since that time, though I'm starting to think I really should go find a copy to watch (maybe I still have the VHS.)

dark? what did you find dark about the movie? i thought it was incredibly inoffensive and easy going. easy markers of identification for whatever shape, size, race your kid is etc

anyway, speaking of movies i hate... doing some old Oscar best picture winners:

a few cute lines, but camp-levels of romance. shakespeare recites shakespeare in rhythm with his thrusts. token scenes with famous quotes that don't fit the narrative at all, but are probably easily recognizable to audiences anyway... just straight up crap.

to think this beat out saving private ryan, thin red line, and even life is beautiful... lol

...The main characters brother dying, the dangers of advanced technology falling into the wrong hands, the helpful robot being re-programmed as a killing machine to murder someone out of revenge, the role model of the kid and his brother becoming a homicidal villain out to avenge his daughter...

...For a Disney movie, I wasn't expecting all of that. Sure, on the surface it was sugar-coated, as you'd expect.

And yeah, Shakespeare In Love winning the Oscar was a farce. I liked it more than you did, but is not half the movie Life Is Beautiful is.

...The main characters brother dying, the dangers of advanced technology falling into the wrong hands, the helpful robot being re-programmed as a killing machine to murder someone out of revenge, the role model of the kid and his brother becoming a homicidal villain out to avenge his daughter...

...For a Disney movie, I wasn't expecting all of that. Sure, on the surface it was sugar-coated, as you'd expect.

And yeah, Shakespeare In Love winning the Oscar was a farce. I liked it more than you did, but is not half the movie Life Is Beautiful is.

what's weird is that i didn't really 'feel' any of that. while it's obviously the plot, i felt zero emotional reaction to any of it, which is maybe why i didn't find the movie all that dark. sorta reminded me of the plot to the early aspect of the spiderman narrative/lore, to be honest (apparently BH6 is a comic book too?)

does life is beautiful hold up? i loved it when i saw it way back int he day, but i don't remember much of it

That's ah, I might have to check it out for that alone.

Campier than True Blood?

Anyways, watched Birdman. 9.5/10. Riggin's scene with the critic at the bar was amazing. The whole movie works on so many levels and about so many things so it's a stupid thing to nitpick about but

how is his nose blown off by a gun pointed to the side of his head at the end there?

prisoners 7/10

good movie, solid acting from jake gylenhal or whatever his name is, but hugh jackman's 'american accent' was pretty distractingly poor to me

sorta just reminded me of all the detective/thriller/kidnapping/cop/murder/distraught family movies from the 90s, sorta like gone girl and nightcrawler

Edited by GLASSJAW

prisoners 7/10

good movie, solid acting from jake gylenhal or whatever his name is, but hugh jackman's 'american accent' was pretty distractingly poor to me

sorta just reminded me of all the detective/thriller/kidnapping/cop/murder/distraught family movies from the 90s, sorta like gone girl and nightcrawler

Jake's hair in that flick makes it an automatic 10.