The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Moneyball - 7/10

On a whim, decided to watch it again. Holds up well. Not great, but certainly far from the worst sports film out there.

------------------------------------

Inside Out - 9/10

Gotta say, this is one of the most original kids films in quite a while. Really enjoyed it.

Beeba Boys - 6/10

Objectively I can't say this was particularly good in any way. Competent filmmaking - nice shot composition, some standout acting (and some atrocious). But I am partial to the insight into something both close to home and a world apart. And generally speaking it's just nice to see Vancouver play Vancouver. Worth bumping it up a point over perfect mediocrity, which is what it was from a crime thriller standpoint.

The Walk - 7.5/10

decent movie, the effects/photography were really good.

i found it about 15 to 20 minutes to long though...wish they cut out a bit of the build up/back story...by the time they got to the big walk my butt was a little sore from sitting in the theater.

all in all, neat story.

The Green Enferno 6/10 Another gore fest by Eli Roth

Was interesting up until the first kill, but quickly goes down hill after that.

The movie borrows greatly from 2 movie which are Cannibal Holocaust and 1981's Cannibal Ferox.

Interstellar - 4/10

This movie was pretty good, for a while. Then around the 2:20 mark, it completely goes off the rails, possibly more than any movie I've ever seen.

I think I may have given it a 5/10, or a "this should be a miniseries"/10. The idea is a solid 10, but due to time constraints, and certainly the oddness of being caught in another dimension, takes it down quite a bit.

----------------------------------

Crimson Peak - 3/10

Away training for work all week, so staying in a hotel room without the wife. Went to see this last night, with low expectations. Worse than I expected.

Jessica Chastain was easily the best part of the film. But even she could only do so much. She was really trying her best. But everyone else was either wooden (ie. Hunnan), or was just doing the best they could with the material they were given. 

This was neither scary or enjoyable. Bigger budget horror movies NEVER work.

Edited by Monty

Interstellar seems to be such a polarizing movie. I thought it was really good. Enjoyed it way more than most other Nolan films, which is odd considering how picky I am about sci fi. Tho I agree it starts to get a little silly towards the end.

Anyway, I don't know if I already posted about it, but:

Mr Holmes: 6.5-7/10. Really undecided about how much I enjoyed this. It was good, and well acted, but kinda boring. 

Evil Dead (2013): 7.5/10. Can't believe how much gore and blood is in this. Even though it's so obviously fake, I found myself wincing through a number of scenes. Definitely deserves points for how uncomfortable it made me feel

Question for all. What is UltraAVX? Is it 2D or 3D? My local theatre is only offering UltraAVX and IMAX screenings for The Force Awakens

It can be either, depending on the movie. If it's only a 2D movie, it will be in 2D. Thought I'm pretty sure Star Wars is going to be in 3D.

What it is, I believe, is supposed to be a presentation on a bigger screen, with sharper audio. It has reserved/assigned seating and all, which is why I'm assuming that, along with Imax, it's the only screenings that are showing up right now. I'm sure the movie will be released to all theatres everywhere regardless of where you live, though you can't book this ahead of time.

I'm always going to the Riverport Silver City, and based on the timings, and the types of movies I'm generally watching, I always end up at the Ultra AVX screen. It's not too special, but the seats are better, and it's a better experience, though not worth the mark up in price.

Edited by g_bassi13

It can be either, depending on the movie. If it's only a 2D movie, it will be in 2D. Thought I'm pretty sure Star Wars is going to be in 3D.

What it is, I believe, is supposed to be a presentation on a bigger screen, with sharper audio. It has reserved/assigned seating and all, which is why I'm assuming that, along with Imax, it's the only screenings that are showing up right now. I'm sure the movie will be released to all theatres everywhere regardless of where you live, though you can't book this ahead of time.

I'm always going to the Riverport Silver City, and based on the timings, and the types of movies I'm generally watching, I always end up at the Ultra AVX screen. It's not too special, but the seats are better, and it's a better experience, though not worth the mark up in price.

Thanks. If only they would just start selling normal 2D 24fps now.

Interstellar seems to be such a polarizing movie. I thought it was really good. Enjoyed it way more than most other Nolan films, which is odd considering how picky I am about sci fi. Tho I agree it starts to get a little silly towards the end.

I too thought it was really good, until it went sideways.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt with the "ghost" in the room, and the "handshake". But when it ended up being him...all of it...that was facepalm-inducing.

And why? Because "they" chose his daughter. But they couldn't figure out how to communicate anything? FFS, give me a break.

But even then, the worst part was that he magically survived. Not just the black hole, but then he was transported just outside of a space station, for hugs and flowers, etc. So for everyone else, space is a stark, unforgiving place (contrasted with our home planet), but for the "hero", he can do whatever the hell he wants, and end up the best looking centennial in history.

Hell, he can even steal a spaceship and fly to a distant galaxy with no planning or coordination! No problem! If he gets lost, he can just jump back in the black hole of fun!

<_<