The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

The only 2015 comedy that I'd recommend would be Inside Out. Pitch Perfect 2, Trainwreck, Get Hard, Ted 2, and Minions were awful. 

Aside from Inside Out, these were the only other two I sort of watched. Trainwreck was excruciating.

As for Minions, it made me and my wife angry, to the point where I stopped watching it. That movie was made for kids who eat nothing but sugar cereal and pixie sticks.

Spectre.  6.5-7.0 out of 10.

Beautiful photography. 

Craig and the MI6 cast was excellent. 

Andrew Scott, crap in Sherlock, just as bad in Spectre, makes a crap villain.

Horrible music and one of the worst title tracks outside of Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace.

They tried to squeeze way to much in the movie. Purvis and Wade are just horrible writers don't ask me how they have stayed in the franchise. They tried too hard to make sure all the stories related. 

Spectre wasn't threatening, they needed to follow the old movies and have Spectre evil but behind the scenes. 

Wasn't as bad as Quantum of Solace. But could have been so much better. 

The Lobster 8/10

Really liked the concept, but found that every character was too similar to one another. The director seemed too influenced by Wes Anderson movies. For example, in Moonrise Kingdom the two main kids are kinds of socially odd/speak in blunt sentence fragments, but the people around them don't behave the same way. It's people's reactions to these kids' differences that make for an interesting movie. Lanthimos seemed to just want everyone to be odd. I don't buy the excuse that they're single at 40+ years old, and therefore have to all be odd. Some were simply divorced/widowed/widowers. All in all, still a movie that will capture your attention throughout, which is rarely true of a comedy.

Maggie - 7/10

This movie was not what I was expecting. Schwarzenegger + Zombies I was geared up for lots of blood, gore and violence.

However, this movie ended up being a drama centered around a father and daughter and was pretty well done imo.

• Upvote 1

watched some animated movies recently: 

101 dalmations: 7.5. far too action-y for my taste, but perhaps my pick for Disney's best animated movie. just really like the style in this one: 101-d-1003a.jpg

aristocats: 7.5. more great animation. more sketch-y than dalmations, but still great. plot loses details all the time, which is sorta frustrating. but i still enjoyed it

fantastic mr fox: 10/10. seen it like 5 times now, and love it more with each watch

when marnie was there: 7/10. new movie from Ghibli. certainly not bad, but not great either. sorta boring.

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

watched some animated movies recently: 

101 dalmations: 7.5. far too action-y for my taste, but perhaps my pick for Disney's best animated movie. just really like the style in this one: 101-d-1003a.jpg

aristocats: 7.5. more great animation. more sketch-y than dalmations, but still great. plot loses details all the time, which is sorta frustrating. but i still enjoyed it

fantastic mr fox: 10/10. seen it like 5 times now, and love it more with each watch

when marnie was there: 7/10. new movie from Ghibli. certainly not bad, but not great either. sorta boring.

I think that stylistic quality gets lost in a lot of these 3D CGI animated films. They certainly could stylize them in a similar manner (incorporate elements of impressionism, watercolour, and different diciplines), but it almost seems like they opt for a cheaper, more sanitized version across the board.

My favourite element of Fantastic Mr. Fox was in its visual presentation. It's kind of sad that the only studio out there playing around with stop motion is Laika, but I guess it's good enough that there is at least one company out there making stuff.

I think Coraline is my favourite animated movie of the last 10-15 years.

On February 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM, babych said:

Maggie - 7/10

This movie was not what I was expecting. Schwarzenegger + Zombies I was geared up for lots of blood, gore and violence.

However, this movie ended up being a drama centered around a father and daughter and was pretty well done imo.

Watched it based on your reco. Yeah it's nice change for Arnie. Beautifully filmed movie.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Watched it based on your reco. Yeah it's nice change for Arnie. Beautifully filmed movie.

Thanks!

I agree with what you said about Arnold - I don't think he bared his biceps once in the whole show. I read that Arnold didn't take a salary for this movie - he loved the script and wanted the movie made.

Having a daughter myself I felt the movie fairly compelling.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, babych said:

Thanks!

I agree with what you said about Arnold - I don't think he bared his biceps once in the whole show. I read that Arnold didn't take a salary for this movie - he loved the script and wanted the movie made.

Good man.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, babych said:

Thanks!

You are right:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1881002/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Arnold did not receive any sort of payment to star in this film.

• Upvote 1