The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

16 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy. It's like some cruel joke that high school jocks play by naming the ugly girl prom queen (Carrie?). I don't know if Affleck knew that the joke was on him until he got onto the stage. Why on Earth would you cast him as Batman. He seems like a nice enough guy and everything, and you're just feeding him to the wolves.

Batman vs. Superman - 3/10

Going to keep this short.

Would have been better if the film just focused on Batman and Superman. There is already enough there to build up the story and focus more on the character development of the two. Making a case as to why both characters feel as though the other needs to go. There was enough in the graphic novel to do that, so having more characters isn't really necessary.

However, by shoehorning in Lex Luthor (terribly written) and laughably bad acted and written Wonder Woman, as well as cramming in Doomsday, the film was busier than it needed to be.

There were a few good parts, like the viewpoint of Bruce Wayne during the Metro events in Man of Steel, Scoot McNarry and Holly Hunter's characters. And while the film had an uneven script, Affleck certainly did the best that he could.

However, Amy Adams dialogue and character remains a weakness, Jesse Eisenberg (while not a great actor) also had crap to work with as his dialogue was really terrible, Gal Gadot can't act and her character was absolutely forced into the script, and Jeremy Irons was horribly miscast as Alfred.

All in all, I wouldn't watch it again. And yes, it is surprising worse than Man of Steel.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Batman vs. Superman - 3/10

Going to keep this short.

Would have been better if the film just focused on Batman and Superman. There is already enough there to build up the story and focus more on the character development of the two. Making a case as to why both characters feel as though the other needs to go. There was enough in the graphic novel to do that, so having more characters isn't really necessary.

However, by shoehorning in Lex Luthor (terribly written) and laughably bad acted and written Wonder Woman, as well as cramming in Doomsday, the film was busier than it needed to be.

There were a few good parts, like the viewpoint of Bruce Wayne during the Metro events in Man of Steel, Scoot McNarry and Holly Hunter's characters. And while the film had an uneven script, Affleck certainly did the best that he could.

However, Amy Adams dialogue and character remains a weakness, Jesse Eisenberg (while not a great actor) also had crap to work with as his dialogue was really terrible, Gal Gadot can't act and her character was absolutely forced into the script, and Jeremy Irons was horribly miscast as Alfred.

All in all, I wouldn't watch it again. And yes, it is surprising worse than Man of Steel.

I really enjoyed The Man of Steal version.  It was a different telling of the story than previously done.  The problem with this new movie is BATMAN.  Batman sucks, unless he's portrayed like the 60's TV character, supremely acted by THE BEST BATMAN EVER - ADAM WEST.

Edited by Alflives

Deadpool. Ok I'm behind on seeing movies. We had the option of BvS or Deadpool. I went with my friends advice and we chose Deadpool. 

8/10. The opening credits were the funniest and sadly probably the most truthful statements on film. It's not Citizen Kane, but it was a good Deadpool movie. The CGI for Colossus was excellent. Morena Baccarin is truly smoking hot. 

Honestly I'd buy the Blu-Ray just for the credits alone. 

Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice - 7.5/10

The pacing wasn't the greatest, but the movie overall was a superb experience for myself.

- Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman knocked it out of the park. Her first fight scene blew me away with the music and the cinematography especially. God damn.

- Ben Affleck's Batman. He was a great actor in the role, and the morals are a little questionable but it was very enjoyable. This Batman has already been through a lot as he's definitely 40's in age, and been through a Robin death. He's a tough as nails brutal Batman, which we've seen before in comics with more killing ways. Not what I expected, but I get it. Loved the fight scenes especially....very Arkham game-esque.

12 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy. It's like some cruel joke that high school jocks play by naming the ugly girl prom queen (Carrie?). I don't know if Affleck knew that the joke was on him until he got onto the stage. Why on Earth would you cast him as Batman. He seems like a nice enough guy and everything, and you're just feeding him to the wolves.

Affleck as Batman turned out to be a great choice. He killed the role, but it was the character itself that was questionable.

Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice - 5/10

It didn't suck. I guess. Not totally at least. It worked in parts as a Superman movie, and did a far better job with the character and handling his heroism than Man of Steel did. The two things they did were fix the aforementioned heroism and presentation of him and his morals, and not blow up all of Metropolis while defending it. Like they went out of the way to keep pointing out that civilians were out of harms way as they fought in abandoned areas and the such, as an obvious response to the harsh criticism to Man of Steel's gratuitous use of people dying and buildings demolishing for the sake of action. And thank God for that.

As for Batman, I think too many people flipped out when Affleck got the role, and that shouldn't have been the sticking point. He was perfectly serviceable in the role, and whatever expectations come with it. Good, even.  Maybe because I was sick of seeing Christian Bale by the end of Dark Knight Rises, so this was okay.

... Problem with Batman was Batman himself. Character was easily gullible and mislead. He killed people without a second thought, despite it being his mantra not to. That, and branding his victims was totally out of place, among other things. No explanations for the character change. He just woke up one day more violent, completely lethal, and increasingly suspicious of Superman for increasingly weaker reasons.

They didn't have to twist around Batman's character to find a reason to get him to be at odds with Superman. They have a natural opposition in stances, without having to make up stuff like that.

In tone, it was just far too serious, all of the time. Watching 2.5 hours straight of such a thing is just draining, and not in any kind of fulfilling way. One piece of drama linking to another piece of drama, with no chance to let me or the movie breathe. 

The one thing that kept bringing down this movie more than anything, just completely killed it (not in that kicked ass kind of way), was Jesse Eisenberg, and his Lex Luthor. Dear &^@#ing lord. I complain about anything Eisenberg is in, but this was a new level for me. Never has he grated on my nerves quite like this. Not in a effective "I want them to take this bad guy down" kind of way did I want to see Lex die, but a complete "shut up and get off my screen" manner of speaking was what I was thinking. So eccentric that he was over the top for a comic book villain. He always verged on breaking into full "Architect from the Matrix" territory, the way he kept prattling on and on without actually saying a word. He ruined the movie every time he stepped on screen.

But a lot of the casting in general was just off. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was just a vacuum of charisma. Outside of not looking the part, she couldn't act the part, or convince me in any way that she makes sense in the spot. She only existed as a means of teasing a Justice League movie, so she wasn't expected to add anything, but she did the opposite of give me any faith in it moving forward. 

The whole Justice League tie in just felt off altogether. I really could have done with never seeing Jason Momoa on my screen again, let alone for a movie I could have been interested in, let alone as a hero who is already set up to fail in Aquaman. Those things, plus I really don't care about, or want to watch Cyborg in a movie with these guys as an original member or whatever such thing (that one's totally personal.)

Superman was almost great. The visuals and the action were pretty good. Batman needed to be better/more faithful. Justice League movie needed a far more convincing set up. And Lex Luthor was the absolute worst. That about sums up my feelings.

My rating could/should maybe be worse, and I think my words describe it more harshly than it does reflect that. I think I enjoyed certain parts of it enough. Though I'm almost certain I'll look back on it even more harshly in the future.

Do you guys have go-to movies when you've had too much on screen violence and need a break?
Last week there was no balance in what I watched, it was just straight violence for six films in a row ending with The Hateful Eight which was completely demoralizing. So this week I ended up rewatching Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles, and LA Story (toot), and then some secret guilty pleasure romcoms as a way to wash off all the bits of brains that Tarantino had sprayed all over me. And not surprisingly, I was in a much better mood this week compared to last.

And Adam West was indeed the best Batman, I liked watching the reruns as a kid ...

3 hours ago, Svengali said:

Do you guys have go-to movies when you've had too much on screen violence and need a break?
Last week there was no balance in what I watched, it was just straight violence for six films in a row ending with The Hateful Eight which was completely demoralizing. So this week I ended up rewatching Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles, and LA Story (toot), and then some secret guilty pleasure romcoms as a way to wash off all the bits of brains that Tarantino had sprayed all over me. And not surprisingly, I was in a much better mood this week compared to last.

And Adam West was indeed the best Batman, I liked watching the reruns as a kid ...

It's interesting. When I was in my late teens and up to my mid twenties, I had no problem watching heavier movies, and they rarely (if ever) affected my mood. However, now in my mid 30s, life has more and more stresses, and I just can't take heavy films in those doses anymore. Just happier when I put on, say, "The Jerk".

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

It's interesting. When I was in my late teens and up to my mid twenties, I had no problem watching heavier movies, and they rarely (if ever) affected my mood. However, no in my mid 30s, life has more and more stresses, and I just can't take heavy films in those doses anymore. Just happier when I put on, say, "The Jerk".

Totally get this. Tried watching The Skin I'm In the other day, and just couldn't get into it. Also lost all interest in playing Fallout 4.

The older I get, the more I want to be amused, not depressed.

3 hours ago, Svengali said:

Planes Trains....wow. So great.

i don't find Tarantino movies depressing.  Sure they are violent but I don't find them serious enough to bring me down.  I understand what you are saying though.  I watched hobo with a shotgun a few weeks ago. It was terrible, and amazingly violent, but the darkness and style of filming as well as the general theme was depressing.  It's considered a type of black comedy/grind house film but I found no humour in it.  I'm sorry but setting a bus full of kids on fire with a flame thrower is just not comedic.

im not into the extreme violent horrors like: saw, human centipede, etc.  I just don't see the point.

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Planes Trains....wow. So great.

i don't find Tarantino movies depressing.  Sure they are violent but I don't find them serious enough to bring me down.  I understand what you are saying though.  I watched hobo with a shotgun a few weeks ago. It was terrible, and amazingly violent, but the darkness and style of filming as well as the general theme was depressing.  It's considered a type of black comedy/grind house film but I found no humour in it.  I'm sorry but setting a bus full of kids on fire with a flame thrower is just not comedic.

im not into the extreme violent horrors like: saw, human centipede, etc.  I just don't see the point.

It brought me down so low when it was over.
That week went: Aliens -> Saving Pvt. Ryan -> A Clockwork Orange -> Le Samourai -> The Hateful Eight ... the buckets of blood and exploding heads at that point were more than enough ... also add a violent tv series to this, and reading Hemingway's killing and death in Africa as well. Just way too much in one week. It was like my soul was being drained and felt like I may have lost faith in humanity for a day or two. Needed to see Steve Martin and John Candy getting back home for Thanksgiving dinner to make me feel better.

(Wimbledon and Notting Hill were the romcoms, I like them and there's nothing you can do about it)

53 minutes ago, Svengali said:

It brought me down so low when it was over.
That week went: Aliens -> Saving Pvt. Ryan -> A Clockwork Orange -> Le Samourai -> The Hateful Eight ... the buckets of blood and exploding heads at that point were more than enough ... also add a violent tv series to this, and reading Hemingway's killing and death in Africa as well. Just way too much in one week. It was like my soul was being drained and felt like I may have lost faith in humanity for a day or two. Needed to see Steve Martin and John Candy getting back home for Thanksgiving dinner to make me feel better.

(Wimbledon and Notting Hill were the romcoms, I like them and there's nothing you can do about it)

"Singing in the rain. Just singing in the rain.

what a glorious feeling to be

hap! Happy again!"

(apparently that was all adlib too)

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Totally get this. Tried watching The Skin I'm In the other day, and just couldn't get into it. Also lost all interest in playing Fallout 4.

The older I get, the more I want to be amused, not depressed.

sell out