The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Watch Trainspotting if you haven't, think its on netflix now. Awesome movie 

I did see it shortly after its release.  Certainly was a good movie.  I've read the book and and others by the author too.

ive spent a lot of time in the uk so isorta get it.

Martha Marcy May Marlene: 7.6/10

Who knew an Olsen could act? The younger sibling of the Olsen twins was impressive in this one... a film about a girl's struggle to live back in reality after spending a couple years in a cult. Wasn't about the cult, how she was brainwashed, how she joined, etc., but moreso about how she tried to adapt to social expectations in the real world versus what she had previously lived in. 

The Great Train Robbery (2 Part BBC Version)

The first part (roughly an hour and a half) is focused squarely from the "Robbers" story. The planning and the execution. The second part focuses on the "Cops", starting 4 days after the robbery, fast forwarding up to 5 year afterwards.

It was only "ok". The acting was very well done, with the leads being Luke Evans, starring as the leader of the group of 15 who robbed the train, Bruce Reynolds. Also starred Jim Broadbent (always terrific) as the lead investigator.

Where it ultimately fell short was in the finer details. The pacing and cinematography were very well done, as was the style of the two part series. However, it missed out on missed opportunities, such as where the "gang" went, particularly Reynolds while he was on the run for 5 years. There wasn't even the typical "Here's what happened to such and such" at the end credits. I mean, there was, but just said, "So and so received 30 years prison time for their robbery", "So and so died shortly after." Which really doesn't give the full scope of what happened to these guys afterwards, because NONE of the them served even close to 30 years in prison time. And how their lives were affected afterwards was incredibly interesting. None of this was in the series, and it would have benefited greatly from including these details.

22 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Who knew an Olsen could act? The younger sibling of the Olsen twins was impressive in this one... a film about a girl's struggle to live back in reality after spending a couple years in a cult. Wasn't about the cult, how she was brainwashed, how she joined, etc., but moreso about how she tried to adapt to social expectations in the real world versus what she had previously lived in. 

I really like this film. Probably in my Top 5 to come out since 2010.

52 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

What are you talking about?!

they stole the show in Full House.

Edited by riffraff

I barely have time to watch movies anymore...but here are a couple that I have seen relatively recently:

Mad Max Fury Road - 7/10

Lots of points for style and cinematography, but can't say that I loved it. Felt really empty to me.

Finding Dory - 5/10

Took the kids, who are 1 and 3. Entertaining, but not even in the same stratosphere as Finding Nemo.

6 hours ago, Svengali said:

Haven't seen Coffy haha, looks good.

And here's my Top 100:
(unlike mean old grumpy Monty, I think it's worth the time)

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the shiny movie poster version of my list:

http://letterboxd.com/svengali/list/my-100-favourite-films/

... which I just now switched from "Private" to "Public" for the first time ... kind of scary.

And the copy/pasted text version:

(sorted by release date)

Mad Max: Fury Road 2015
Inherent Vice 2014
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2014
Birdman 2014
Calvary 2014
20,000 Days on Earth 2014
All Is Lost 2013
The World’s End 2013
Mud 2012

Moonrise Kingdom 2012
Midnight in Paris 2011
The Tree of Life 2011

Moon 2009
Inglourious Basterds 2009
Bronson 2008
In Bruges 2008
Hot Fuzz 2007
Nacho Libre 2006
Children of Men 2006
The Proposition 2005
Shaun of the Dead 2004
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou 2004
Lost in Translation 2003
Big Fish 2003
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring 2003
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2003
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 2003
Hero 2002
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 2001

Saving Private Ryan 1998
Trainspotting 1996
Dazed and Confused 1993
Army of Darkness 1992
Goodfellas 1990

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 1987
Full Metal Jacket 1987
Au Revoir Les Enfants 1987
Brazil 1985
Come and See 1985
Paris, Texas 1984
Amadeus 1984
This Is Spinal Tap 1984
The Bounty 1984
Repo Man 1984
The Meaning of Life 1983
Scarface 1983
Fanny & Alexander 1982
Koyaanisqatsi 1982
Blade Runner 1982
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior 1981
Das Boot 1981
Chariots of Fire 1981
The Elephant Man 1980
The Shining 1980
The Empire Strikes Back 1980

Mad Max 1979
Apocalypse Now 1979
Breaking Away 1979
Manhattan 1979
Annie Hall 1977
Slap Shot 1977
The Pink Panther Strikes Again 1976
Monty Python and the Holy Grail 1975
Mirror 1975
The Godfather: Part II 1974
Serpico 1973
Mean Streets 1973
The Long Goodbye 1973
Day for Night 1973
Badlands 1973
Aguirre: The Wrath of God 1972
Vanishing Point 1971
A Clockwork Orange 1971
Walkabout 1971

Army of Shadows 1969
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 1969
Night of the Living Dead 1968
Shame 1968
2001: A Space Odyssey 1968
Playtime 1967
Le Samouraï 1967
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 1966
For a Few Dollars More 1965
A Fistful of Dollars 1964
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 1964
Vivre Sa Vie 1962
The Hustler 1961
Breathless 1960

Wild Strawberries 1957
The Seventh Seal 1957
Throne of Blood 1957
Seven Samurai 1954
Rear Window 1954
Gun Crazy 1950
The Great Dictator 1940
Modern Times 1936
City Lights 1931
The Immigrant 1917

New favs slowly come along as I go of course.

dayumn. now i have to make one 

haven't seen some of these, but you get cool points for having goodbye children, but lose cool points for nacho libre. 

can't believe i haven't seen:

repo man

brazil (or i don't remember it at least)

master and commander

paris, texas

i noticed no horror, really? not a fan of the genre? 

Edited by GLASSJAW

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I barely have time to watch movies anymore...but here are a couple that I have seen relatively recently:

Mad Max Fury Road - 7/10

Lots of points for style and cinematography, but can't say that I loved it. Felt really empty to me.

I am surprised by all the strong ratings it got. 

Watching it was a good two hours well wasted. (that is a compliment but not a high rating)

Best part was definitely the guy playing guitar while dangling from the front of the truck :lol:

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am surprised by all the strong ratings it got. 

Watching it was a good two hours well wasted. (that is a compliment but not a high rating)

Best part was definitely the guy playing guitar while dangling from the front of the truck :lol:

:lol: That was my favourite part too!

To me, Mad Max Fury Road is what a popcorn flick should be. Scoring it against other popcorn flicks, it's one of the best.

Deep? No. Tom Hardy punching Charlize Theron in the face? Awesome.

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

To me, Mad Max Fury Road is what a popcorn flick should be. Scoring it against other popcorn flicks, it's one of the best.

Deep? No. Tom Hardy punching Charlize Theron in the face? Awesome.

Been trying to find time to watch... Hard to squeeze in 2+ hour movies these days. I have a back log.

59 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

any fans of the UK version of The Office here? 

Saw this a few weeks ago. While I like the UK The Office, and Extras is incredibly underrated (one of my favourite shows of all time), I'm done with Ricky Gervais.

So I'm not excited/looking forward to watching this. I'm sure it will end up like season 4 of Arrested Development. Unnecessary.

15 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

dayumn. now i have to make one 

haven't seen some of these, but you get cool points for having goodbye children, but lose cool points for nacho libre. 

can't believe i haven't seen:

repo man

brazil (or i don't remember it at least)

master and commander

paris, texas

i noticed no horror, really? not a fan of the genre? 

Yeah make one for sure, I'd like to see it.

Repo Man is a must. The whole vibe is fantastic and hilarious. So many classic quotes. Great soundtrack with Iggy and Black Flag, etc. But the slow reverb dripping surfabilly guitar that meanders throughout the movie is why I truly love it. And the generic cans of food and beer labelled "food" and "beer" ... It's pure greatness.

Brazil is classic Gilliam at his Gilliest.
Master and Commander is based on my favourite book series by Patrick O'Brian. They did a fantastic job on the movie.
Paris, Texas is very very very slow (and good). Harry Dean Stanton stars in both this and Repo Man.

Yup, not a fan of the horror genre.

20 hours ago, Monty said:

:( 

The other reason why I don't have a Top 100 list is because the movies would change so frequently. However, my Top 5/Top 10 List barely ever changes.

That's why it becomes a top 125, then a top 150. (it started as a top 40)

Also my list is partly due to insomnia, something you will soon be getting a large dose of with your MiniMonty. Plenty of time at night for you to make lists, (kind young happy) Monty.

(and what's your top 10?)

3 hours ago, Svengali said:

That's why it becomes a top 125, then a top 150. (it started as a top 40)

Also my list is partly due to insomnia, something you will soon be getting a large dose of with your MiniMonty. Plenty of time at night for you to make lists, (kind young happy) Monty.

I've heard this :( 

(and what's your top 10?)

In order:

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I consider them one film)

2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

3. Starship Troopers

4. The Big Lebowski

5. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

6. North by Northwest

7. Take Shelter

8. The Dark Knight

9. Demolition Man

10. Rear Window

9 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

^^demolition man, big lebowski and who framed roger rabbit in a top 10!?  Only other movie ive seen in that list is Dark Knight, which was great. 

Majority of those I have some sort of personal memory attached to. So when I watch them, it brings me back to that moment. The only 3 that don't aren't are Take Shelter, North by Northwest, and Rear Window.

Oh, and they are all terrific for their own reasons. But make no mistake, I understand why they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 10. However, the question was what my Top 10 films are, not what films I think are the Top 10 best of all time. A much greater/stupider list to construct.

• Upvote 1