The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

26 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Independence Day: Resurgence - 4.5/10

This movie sucked hard, but it was more enjoyable than X-Men. I don't care for movies that are wall to the wall action with nothing to offer, and this movie was one of those. Its humour fell flat, and most of everything else was generic at best. It's attempts at sentimentality are as subtle as a bull in a china shop. The acting was completely wooden, and recurring characters were brought back with attempts to just shoehorn them in. And the new side characters were even more generic than them. Its abuses of science and logic had me continually thinking about what the movie did wrong, without being able to sit back and enjoy any of it.

Then there's the pandering to the Chinese theatre market, with major/minor character additions, battle scenes, and random language/product placement. It's awkwardly shoehorned in as well, but on top of that, in this case whenever I see it any movie it completely removes the immersion from it for me. Where I just start thinking about the business aspects of the movie and who it's being geared to, and being reminded that it's just a movie, as I'm still in the process of watching it.

I think the worst handled aspect was when probably nearly a billion people just instantly died, with zero impact translating on screen. It's just a director in Roland Emmerich, who you think after making $&!# movie after $&!# movie would have picked up a little bit of anything along the way about film making, continues to get worse and worse. And considering he debuted at a level of zero, it's just bleh.

The movie, despite all its shortcomings though, wasn't the hardest thing in the world to watch, though. I don't know what of any of it was particularly redeemable, but it didn't suck too hard to watch, as sucky of a movie as it was.

Out of pure nostalgia, I'm going to see this.

And because of Goldblum.

Some of the reviews for Independence Day are so comedically bad that I think I'll check it out sometime too. How can it be that much worse than any other of the same style? It already leaked, too. Weeks ago, I think. It didn't really stand a chance at the box office, I don't think

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

X-Men Apocalypse - 5/10

It was thoroughly disappointing. I could think of far more to knock against it with, than I could to praise it.

... Yet it's still the best Super Hero movie I've seen this year. That's how $&!#ty I think Captain America and Batman vs. Superman both were.

I was already drawn tired of this little prequel world by the end of first class, but after having it drag on to this third movie, with the promise of a fourth, has me hating on it. I don't like reboots, and I hate prequels. As decent as First Class was, there's not much I hate more than a prequel reboot. Or a prequel-reboot sequel like this movie.

On top of everything else, one of the only things that didn't make me dread this movie after the lacklustre trailers, was that supposedly Jubilee was supposed to be back in this movie, after essentially being kicked out of the entire film series thus far. But her role never extended beyond what it did in the original trilogy, as a background student at the school for a minute or two of screentime. They gave her her costumer, but her role did not expand one bit. Forget her powers, I'm not even sure they called her by her name in the movie, lol. They even made it a point for her to go on a joyriding adventure with the other 3 main characters, but of the 4 she's the one that gets left behind and kicked out of the movie while the other 3 go and save the day. Good stuff, lol.

Aside from that there's the continued absence of Gambit, and real lack of logic and basic continuity with the original trilogy, there's not much to take away from this for me.

Tough critic. I thought Captain and Batman v Superman were great. See I watch movies like that for only action entertainment. I was entertained. I was not looking for Oscar award winning performances and if you are, stop watching these type of movies!

Saw this xmen movie last night, better than I thought. I agree with you about prequel movies on the most part. I especially get turned off on the new actors playing them in the younger years. The original film actors were so much better. Wished they continued on with them into the present or future than these prequels. 

Xmen apocolypse 7/10

Batman V Superman 8.5/10

Captain America Civil War 8/10

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Tough critic. I thought Captain and Batman v Superman were great. See I watch movies like that for only action entertainment. I was entertained. I was not looking for Oscar award winning performances and if you are, stop watching these type of movies!

Saw this xmen movie last night, better than I thought. I agree with you about prequel movies on the most part. I especially get turned off on the new actors playing them in the younger years. The original film actors were so much better. Wished they continued on with them into the present or future than these prequels. 

Xmen apocolypse 7/10

Batman V Superman 8.5/10

You'd be hard pressed to find one person who goes looking for action movies to be Oscar quality. Batman Begins was not, but it was phenomenal.

Have not seen X-Men Apocolypse, and I won't. The other two you mentioned were downright awful.

13 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Does anybody use any movie charting/logging sites? Just to keep track of what you've watched and the like? I know there's letterboxd, IMDB, and RT - but I'm not really crazy about the layouts of any.

I've been using Letterboxd to keep track of what I've watched for quite a while now. Love the little shiny movie posters. Looks a thousand times better on a PC than on mobile though, that might change your opinion on the layout, maybe?

Eye in the Sky - 10/10

Perfect in every way. Must watch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gods of Egypt - 3/10

Not perfect in any way. Stupid.

23 hours ago, Monty said:

Out of pure nostalgia, I'm going to see this.

And because of Goldblum.

It's very likely you'll regret it. If there's one thing I could sat regardless of the quality of the movie, is that it doesn't operate too much like the first one. It's a lot less coherent, and it feels like 3-4 different movies glued together.

22 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Some of the reviews for Independence Day are so comedically bad that I think I'll check it out sometime too. How can it be that much worse than any other of the same style? It already leaked, too. Weeks ago, I think. It didn't really stand a chance at the box office, I don't think

I'm not sure it's a funny kind of stupid. It's sometimes a fun kind of stupid, but only sporadically so,

22 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Xmen apocolypse 7/10

Batman V Superman 8.5/10

I wasn't looking for Oscar type performances. I didn't think the movies were good though. Or even enjoyable for that matter.

It's not as if I haven't enjoyed Super hero movies in the past. Or that I couldn't turn on the ones that I have liked in the past and enjoy them now. There are lots, new and old.

It's an element of exhaustion, but these latest movies are all trying too much. All of them had lame villains, average to poor casting, and they're all so overbooked. It's fine with the X-Men, but Captain America's movie was barely 50% about him, and Superman's movie, even less.

These are 3 of my least favourite Super Hero movies of all time (there are some true stinkers from the past that are worse), and whether by coincidence or not, they've all come out this year. 

Captain America was the worst of this bunch.

4 movies in 2 days, going on 5 right now. However, will post short review of the last two watched:

Eddie the Eagle - 7/10

True story of the British ski jumper, Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, at the 1988 Winter Olympics. Well acted and really fun.

---------------------------------------

The End of the Tour - 9.5/10

This is almost as good as you can get. Only reason why it gets half a point taken off is because, even in a role where he's supposed to act like Jesse Eisenberg, he's still insufferable.

Otherwise, such a great film. Haven't read "Infinite Jest", but certainly would like to dedicate the next 4 years of my life to try and finish it.

Signs (2002): 7/10

Well look at this. A M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie that wasn't sucktastic. Granted, I feel like a teacher giving a bad student a better grade because he needs his own curve, but he made it work. Signs had good acting, (from Gibson and Phoenix), and a good storyline; something you can't often say about his movies. The movie did a very good job building up the suspense and scare factor of the aliens, but disappointed IMO, when the audience finally got a good look at them. They weren't scary at all, nor were they super tough to take out. I wish we were able to see more of them too. The movie went from a scary alien invasion movie, to an aliens passing by without much trouble movie in about a span of 20-30 minutes. All that said, I didn't hate the movie at all, and my girlfriend and I both enjoyed it.

After Earth: 0/10

Nope. Happy Feeling gone. We stopped watching halfway through. You were so promising once, man. What happened?

16 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Signs (2002): 7/10

Well look at this. A M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie that wasn't sucktastic. Granted, I feel like a teacher giving a bad student a better grade because he needs his own curve, but he made it work. Signs had good acting, (from Gibson and Phoenix), and a good storyline; something you can't often say about his movies. The movie did a very good job building up the suspense and scare factor of the aliens, but disappointed IMO, when the audience finally got a good look at them. They weren't scary at all, nor were they super tough to take out. I wish we were able to see more of them too. The movie went from a scary alien invasion movie, to an aliens passing by without much trouble movie in about a span of 20-30 minutes. All that said, I didn't hate the movie at all, and my girlfriend and I both enjoyed it.

Rewatched "Signs" a few months ago. I still enjoyed it. That said, still had the same complaint as I did the first time I watched it:

"Why would an alien race, with the wisdom and intelligence to travel light years to plan an invasion, choose to inhabit a planet where 80% of the planet is water? Not only that, but not track weather patterns to know that, *gasp*, it also rains? And if you didn't know you were allergic, why not send a scouting party to do some recon?"

19 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

After Earth: 0/10

Nope. Happy Feeling gone. We stopped watching halfway through. You were so promising once, man. What happened?

Idea and story by Will Smith. Nepotism at its finest.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Has to be a career ender for his kid.

"I like it, but I think it's bad." :wacko:

:lol: That might have been the weirdest line in the film. Truly, truly confusing.

Plus, Will Smith pretty much blaming his kid for not protecting his older sister from being murdered by the GIANT monster. He fit inside a terrarium. He must have been 6 years old!

So dumb.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

4 movies in 2 days, going on 5 right now. However, will post short review of the last two watched:

Eddie the Eagle - 7/10

True story of the British ski jumper, Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, at the 1988 Winter Olympics. Well acted and really fun.

---------------------------------------

The End of the Tour - 9.5/10

This is almost as good as you can get. Only reason why it gets half a point taken off is because, even in a role where he's supposed to act like Jesse Eisenberg, he's still insufferable.

Otherwise, such a great film. Haven't read "Infinite Jest", but certainly would like to dedicate the next 4 years of my life to try and finish it.

End of the Tour was one of my favorite (if not favorite) films of 2015. I also bought "And of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself", which is what the movie was based on. 

And yeah, Eisenberg is a nightmare. In playing Lex Luther, I got more of a 'Tobias Funkhe from Arrested Development" than a super-villain. 

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

End of the Tour was one of my favorite (if not favorite) films of 2015. I also bought "And of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself", which is what the movie was based on. 

And yeah, Eisenberg is a nightmare. In playing Lex Luther, I got more of a 'Tobias Funkhe from Arrested Development" than a super-villain. 

Ah! If Tobias Funke was the villain, then that "movie" would have been watchable.

Just now, Blue Jay 22 said:

Doing a Star Wars binge watch 1-7 next weekend with a buddy. I've probably seen 1-6 100 times each but not in awhile. Loved the prequels when I was little and a teenager so it will be sad when I will have to give them a "big boy" review.

Good luck. Wife and I rewatched them back in January. The prequels just get worse and worse.

• Upvote 1