The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Nicolas Winding Refn showed so much promise, but after the crap show that was Only God Forgives, followed by very mediocre reviews for ND have me believing he's in a massive funk.

Guaranteed you won't like it then.  I get why people won't like it, pretty much for the same reasons people dislike OGF.  However, I like film makers who arn't scared of taking chances with their films in the hopes of making something great.  While Neon Demon definitely isn't great, I was definitely intrigued the entire time which is good enough entertainment for me.

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

So I liked Neon Demon, but I doubt many people will.

I actually liked "Only God Forgives" (or whatever it's called). so I'm excited to give this a watch. not many directors are willing, or able, to be such pretentious dweebs. I respect Refn for it. the world needs more people like that, and far fewer comic book movies

• Upvote 2

Green Room: 7/10

This is Jeremy Saulnier's new movie - his last was Blue Ruin, which was a solid indie revenge film from a few years ago. I think a few people here liked it. He's a guy to look out for. Massive potential. 

Now he's doing a bit more shock and horror. It's about a punk band trapped in a club. Has quite a few scenes of total gore, and some good tension at the start. But after a while, I sorta just lose the tension. Still good though. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

This is Jeremy Saulnier's new movie - his last was Blue Ruin, which was a solid indie revenge film from a few years ago. I think a few people here liked it. He's a guy to look out for. Massive potential. 

Now he's doing a bit more shock and horror. It's about a punk band trapped in a club. Has quite a few scenes of total gore, and some good tension at the start. But after a while, I sorta just lose the tension. Still good though. 

I was just thinking about watching this..  I think I heard about it after the passing of Anton Yelchin, and heard it was one of his better movies he was in. 

The Shallows  6.5
Blake Lively was pretty decent in it. It was no Jaws though. 

speaking of indie movies, can we all take a moment and admire the production company A24? those people are doing amazing work right. the company has only been around for like 3 years, and their credits include:

Green Room

The Witch

The Lobster

End of the Tour

Locke

Ex Machina

Swiss Army Man

Room

Enemy

Most Violent Year

the bolded ones are three that I think are easily in my top 5 favourite films of the last few years. these guys are taking chances on unique projects and making them happen. good stuff. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

speaking of indie movies, can we all take a moment and admire the production company A24? those people are doing amazing work right. the company has only been around for like 3 years, and their credits include:

Green Room

The Witch

The Lobster

End of the Tour

Locke

Ex Machina

Swiss Army Man

Room

Enemy

Most Violent Year

the bolded ones are three that I think are easily in my top 5 favourite films of the last few years. these guys are taking chances on unique projects and making them happen. good stuff. 

I want to trick my sister in to watching Lobster just to see her reaction as I know she'd be thoroughly confused almost to the point of anger :lol::lol::lol:

Haven't watched the other two yet but looking forward to them. 

3/6 through the bbc/amc mini-series The Night Manager. Decent so far - enough to finish. I'm not usually big on espionage/secret agent stuff but this is just far enough of the traditional mark to hook me. Some of it, like the bombastic score, feels forced: oh look they're going for a boat ride on the Mediterranean cue haunting violins but House will just stare at you for a moment and you forget your disease.

9 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

ah fantastic this is out in the wild! Almost drove an hr each way to catch in the theatre earlier this summer but it was there and gone in less than a week. Loved Blue Ruin

12 hours ago, Monty said:

Nicolas Winding Refn showed so much promise, but after the crap show that was Only God Forgives, followed by very mediocre reviews for ND have me believing he's in a massive funk.

I wouldn't call it crap but at the same time, yeah, a director can only show promise for so long before they need to deliver the goods. Refn has been dangling it for awhile but I still wanna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mississippi: 7.75/10

I'm not much for poker films and the romanticization of gambling (and I like poker), but this movie was a bit less on gambling and more about banter. A little bit like End of the Tour in one sense but not nearly as witty or interesting (hard to top End of the Tour). Mendehlson carries the film and Reynolds is pretty good as well. More of a roadtrip movie. Definitely worth a watch. 

On July 1, 2016 at 3:59 PM, GLASSJAW said:

I actually liked "Only God Forgives" (or whatever it's called). so I'm excited to give this a watch. not many directors are willing, or able, to be such pretentious dweebs. I respect Refn for it. the world needs more people like that, and far fewer comic book movies

Drive was amazing. Loved the direction and the soundtrack. The red head from mad men was in it she's my fav. His other movies have had good scenes but were mostly meh. Valhalla rising had a great first hour, amazing. Then went to crap when it got all weird and pretentious. 

On July 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Green Room

The Witch

The Lobster

End of the Tour

Locke

Ex Machina

Swiss Army Man

Room

Enemy

Most Violent Year

I've only seen ex machina, a most violent year and Locke but liked all 3 movies. I'm going to try these other ones on the list. 

Finding Dory - 0/10? Don't really remember much from the first movie, but as a standalone movie you question why it was necessary for this character's backstory needing to be fleshed out, other than the obvious fact for a cash grab. It wasn't entertaining nor captivating and some parts were hastily written story wise that is uncharacteristic of a pixar movie, without going into specifics. 

Maggie's Plan        8.5/10

Nice light summer salad of a movie. Greta Gerwig & Ethan Hawke as the dependable main ingredients. Maya Rudolph & Bill Hader (who didn't annoy me for once) as the toppings. Julianne Moore, stealing every scene in a throwback to her role in Big Lebowski, uh, garnish I guess.

Some of the best dialogue of the year from Rebecca Miller and a perfectly eclectic soundtrack of old ska and Springsteen covers from Adam Horovitz as dressing. Serve.

An ideal antidote to summer blockbuster fare. Yumm.

• Upvote 1

Midnight Special - 6.5/10

I'm wondering if I'm giving it this high a score because it's Jeff Nichols.

Not to say the film is bad. Just not on the same level as his previous films.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warcraft

Fell asleep after 10 minutes.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Midnight Special - 6.5/10

I'm wondering if I'm giving it this high a score because it's Jeff Nichols.

Not to say the film is bad. Just not on the same level as his previous films.

The previews look amazing, was looking forward to it. But heard a lot of reviews like this.

Of course, it could go the other way. Might be disappointment from sky-high expectations.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The previews look amazing, was looking forward to it. But heard a lot of reviews like this.

Of course, it could go the other way. Might be disappointment from sky-high expectations.

It's not that it's terrible/bad. My feeling is that Nichols is trying to establish himself as a director that can tackle any genre he puts his mind to. Very ambitious And his next film, coming out later this year, appears to continue that trend (and that also looks incredibly interesting).

It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with Midnight Special, it just feels a little "been there, done that".

11 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - misses wanted to watch it.  Fun at first but 2 hours for a Tina Fey movie is a bit too long in my books

That's where I've come to with her.

She has an incredible mind for comedy and writing. But so far, nothing she has done on film leads me to believe she can carry her own film. Either that, or she's picking the wrong roles.

Now, she has proven she is terrific in smaller roles after 30 Rock (see: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt). While SNL skits certainly isn't the measure of how talented a comedic actor/actress can be (see: Jenny Slate) or just not getting hired at all (see: Ben Schwartz), Tina Fey (while the head writer), wisely didn't put herself in a ton of skits, as she wasn't the most capable of the cast members to handle the role.

She's incredibly likeable, though.