The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Hail, Caesar!

Decent Coen Bros film. Pretty much on par to what I thought it would be. Guy who plays Han Solo in the new film has a major role, which had the best scene in the movie between him and Ralph Fiennes. 

Battle of Chosin, 10/10

My Dad was in the Canadian Signal Corps in Korea. No wonder he rarely talked about his time there. There's a bunch of times I choked up. 

MacArthur was both a genius and a freaking madman. Both him and Patton had way too much ego. Sort of an American Dunkirk. 

Glad to hear that 90,000 civilians got out. UN forces almost 18% casualties. Chinese forces suffered 35-40%.  Considering they had a 50% manpower advantage. It was appalling that Mao cared so little for his own forces. 

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

I find it interesting how off hand jokes like this one worked for Rogue One, but failed miserably in TLJ.

I think what made his “character” work in Rogue One was they clearly took a page from Drax in Guardians. In that they wrote his dialogue/jokes very literal. And as unlikable/boring as the characters were in Rogue One, only K2SO and the action scenes near the end were the only things that saved the film.

As for TLJ, the issue with those jokes was, aside from being terrible jokes to begin with, they didn’t fit the characters or the situation they were in at all. The story of TLJ essentially took place over a  24 hour period, in a time where the Resistance was about to be wiped out entirely. So all these human characters (not a droid that is programmed) are acting completely out of character of not only who they are, but also for the situation they were in.

On 6/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Monty said:

I think what made his “character” work in Rogue One was they clearly took a page from Drax in Guardians. In that they wrote his dialogue/jokes very literal. And as unlikable/boring as the characters were in Rogue One, only K2SO and the action scenes near the end were the only things that saved the film.

As for TLJ, the issue with those jokes was, aside from being terrible jokes to begin with, they didn’t fit the characters or the situation they were in at all. The story of TLJ essentially took place over a  24 hour period, in a time where the Resistance was about to be wiped out entirely. So all these human characters (not a droid that is programmed) are acting completely out of character of not only who they are, but also for the situation they were in.

TLDR

Whole lotta of fail in TLJ

• Haha 1

Thor: Ragnarok - 1/10 DNF

I must have missed something here. Was it supposed to be a children's comedy? I couldn't finish it. Every scene was just full of silly jokes. I'm not a huge super-hero movie fan but this can't be right. What am I missing?

The 1/10 is for Goldblum as I absolutely love that guy in any role.

Edited by Seifer86
  • Upvote 1

The Dish  8/10

Fictionalized story of Austraila's support during Apollo 11, looking at the impact on a small town excited to be part of such an historic event.  Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton are the two most recognizable actors for us Westerner.

Cute, funny, and interesting, especially if you are into the space program.  Time well spent.

Singin’ in the Rain

Classic and a must see. If you haven’t watched it, you owe it to yourself to give it a watch. Been about 20 years since I last saw it, and it’s far better than I remembered.

A4839F05-3F56-4BA7-ACF0-03D951066E52.jpeg

On 2018-06-09 at 3:14 PM, Shift-4 said:

Thor Ragnarok 

Went in with low expectations, which were met 

Quite opposite for me. Thought it was a great movie. Superb action mixed with very funny moments. I also really loved the soundtrack, in particular the Immigrant Song from Led Zepplen. Very kick ass!

I would rank it as one of the best Marvel movies made. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-07 at 1:04 PM, Seifer86 said:

Thor: Ragnarok - 1/10 DNF

I must have missed something here. Was it supposed to be a children's comedy? I couldn't finish it. Every scene was just full of silly jokes. I'm not a huge super-hero movie fan but this can't be right. What am I missing?

The 1/10 is for Goldblum as I absolutely love that guy in any role.

Most people love super hero movies. It’s ok to be different. I personally thought it was great film. Very entertaining.

• Upvote 1

Ready Player One

I said before that I’m trying to avoid rating movies on a scale of 1 to 10, and more of a “watch/pass” rating instead. Can go into the positives and negatives in the review and then give my recommendation afterwards.

So, in saying that, did Spielberg really need to direct this? I’m assuming 99% of the film was “directed” by the Visual FX Department. It felt like the Star Wars Prequels. Throw as much at the screen as possible, hoping that will keep the audience interested. Because you strip all that away, and the story is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but with characters that aren’t relatable and the message that “Corporations Are Evil”. This is not a new story. In fact, it’s been done to death.

And when you do movies this way (ie: green screen with character avatars), the characters are usually one dimensional and underwritten. That was definitely the case here. Good guy is good. He loves a girl (and tells her that) he met online after basically one driving session online. Bad guy is bad, because he owns a company and wants to make more money by advertising. I love how he’s just bad for talking to the shareholders about that (and thus shareholders are evil), but it doesn’t tell how that would create more jobs for people, who’s lives are truly horrible in the future.

It’s also a bad sign when you can predict the entire story and what’s going to happen in the opening 5 minutes. It’s that formulaic.

Pass. It’s boring. 

8800536E-C7DD-4667-8B9C-D56FDC894EE6.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Incredibles 2

Incredible/10

The first Incredibles is my favorite Pixar movie. I have been waiting a long time for the sequel (thought one would never happen) and all I can say is that the wait was worth it. Great movie and a worthy sequel.

Here is hoping if they do decide to re-visit this world with a 3rd movie we don't have to wait so long.

• Cheers 1