The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Finally got around to this:

Dear Zachary - 9/10

Somebody here said to watch this if you want to cry forever... and here I thought he was joking. :'(

Seriously the most tear-jerking film I've ever seen, times ten. An unbelievable story of family, friendship, and loss. As a new parent it hit me HARD.

A bit amateurish at times, but it sort of adds to the theme in most cases.

Thank You For Smoking 8/10

Second time watching. I find the humour right up my alley. Harvey Dent did a great job as an unscrupulous tobacco lobbyist.

"Brad, I'm his father, you're the guy F^(king his mom"

Man of the Year 7.4/10

Second time here as well. Pretty funny for a political movie. Overall worth watching but don't expect too much.

Fairly satisfied with the Oscar nominations. Her and Dallas Buyers Club got more recognition than I thought they would. Haven't watched Inside Llewyn Davis yet so I'm not sure if it deserved to get shutout.

Still have to watch 12 Years a Slave, then I can probably make my own predictions on the major categories. Most of the writing I've read this morning seems to think the BP award is really a three way race between that, American Hustle, and Gravity.

Her is so good.

I'd be shocked if 12YAS doesn't win best picture, but then I didn't see American Hustle so I'm biased. Gravity should win all the technical awards but that script was nowhere near oscar worthy IMO.

Edited by mcgillnuck

Finally watched Inside Llewyn Davis, wasn't blown away. I'd say 7.5 and that's a bit generous, but even a mediocre Coen movie is better than 90% of the crap that comes out of Hollywood these days. It just felt really ... unfocused, almost improved, which is weird since normally their scripts are so tight. Not that I'm even against improv style movies, this just failed to grab me at any point. I'd be tempted to blame it on my lack of love for folk music, but I watched with my gf and that's her music, she was singing along with most of the songs, but even she kind of shrugged afterwards and said it was forgettable.

Took pre-schoolers to see this animated movie "Free Birds". No one got bored. It was very witty - altho I kept sayin' to myself - I think I saw this scene already. I laughed-out loud. There were plenty of "awwww' moments,..and I even cried. Yup.

Good fun. 6/10

Edited by viking mama

Finally watched Inside Llewyn Davis, wasn't blown away. I'd say 7.5 and that's a bit generous, but even a mediocre Coen movie is better than 90% of the crap that comes out of Hollywood these days. It just felt really ... unfocused, almost improved, which is weird since normally their scripts are so tight. Not that I'm even against improv style movies, this just failed to grab me at any point. I'd be tempted to blame it on my lack of love for folk music, but I watched with my gf and that's her music, she was singing along with most of the songs, but even she kind of shrugged afterwards and said it was forgettable.

kinda surprised at this

i think it's among their best. dripping with pop culture and literary allusions and a refreshingly NON-conventional movie. i can't think of any of the 'good' movies this year that aren't insanely conventional or obviously derivative, except the good ol Coens

Finally got around to this:

Dear Zachary - 9/10

Somebody here said to watch this if you want to cry forever... and here I thought he was joking. :'(

Seriously the most tear-jerking film I've ever seen, times ten. An unbelievable story of family, friendship, and loss. As a new parent it hit me HARD.

A bit amateurish at times, but it sort of adds to the theme in most cases.

It was me :(

kinda surprised at this

i think it's among their best. dripping with pop culture and literary allusions and a refreshingly NON-conventional movie. i can't think of any of the 'good' movies this year that aren't insanely conventional or obviously derivative, except the good ol Coens

Yeah, dunno, I mean I didn't DISlike it, but aside from a few scenes it didn't pull any emotion out of me. Maybe it's just me, maybe it was the folk music, maybe I wasn't in the right mood, maybe I'm burned out on New York ... was just there and now I've read two books in a row set in the city. Interesting that the road trip to Chicago part was my favorite section.

I'll definitely be giving it another shot in a few months. I love the Coens enough to trust that I probably missed a bunch; on the other hand although I love everything they do, I'm probably in the minority that I think the high water mark was early in their career with the 3 in a row run of Miller's Crossing / Barton Fink / Hudsucker Proxy.

ps the best non-conventional film of 2013 was Upstream Color imo

Yeah, dunno, I mean I didn't DISlike it, but aside from a few scenes it didn't pull any emotion out of me. Maybe it's just me, maybe it was the folk music, maybe I wasn't in the right mood, maybe I'm burned out on New York ... was just there and now I've read two books in a row set in the city. Interesting that the road trip to Chicago part was my favorite section.

I'll definitely be giving it another shot in a few months. I love the Coens enough to trust that I probably missed a bunch; on the other hand although I love everything they do, I'm probably in the minority that I think the high water mark was early in their career with the 3 in a row run of Miller's Crossing / Barton Fink / Hudsucker Proxy.

ps the best non-conventional film of 2013 was Upstream Color imo

you know, i love both Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink, but oddly enough I haven't seen Hudsucker Proxy yet, despite hearing nothing but good things. i'll check it out this weekend, methinks

you know, i love both Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink, but oddly enough I haven't seen Hudsucker Proxy yet, despite hearing nothing but good things. i'll check it out this weekend, methinks

Hudsucker is good, but far from their best, IMHO. Don't set your expectations too high.

I really like most of the Coens work, but thought they were losing it with that atrocious Intolerable Cruelty, and the 'only better by comparison' Ladykillers. But then they went and released No Country... which is not only their best work, but one of the greatest movies I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Edited by D-Money

This is how I felt too. I watched it a second time and it felt to be like somebody was trying to fabricate a Coen brothers movie. I don't dislike it at all. In fact I still think it's pretty good but it didn't grab me at all. A little too precious for me I think.