The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jamie Benn not at Stars camp

Cromeslab

Benn isn't coming to Van. Edler isn't going any where. He's a future Norris winner.

Young, big, strong, 50 Pt Dman = not going anywhere.

DAL will sign Benn to an extension soon. It was fun to "imagine" for a few hours but this thread has carried on for days.

You left out that he has a history of back issues and has said he's not sure if he'll ever return to 100%. And that great cap hit you mentioned is only for the next 48 games. After that he can choose to sign with any team he likes. To me he doesn't have much trade value at all

The biggest thing that baffles me about all these trade offers (not just in this thread), involving Edler is that people don't seem to think about what it would do to the Canucks blueline. Think of the starting 6 if Edler is moved for a forward.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Garrison

Vandermeer-Tanev

I don't know about anyone else, but this just doesn't look like a championship caliber defensive group to me. In my opinion, the top 4 (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison) are all but untouchable unless a replacement is coming back in the deal.

On top of this, injuries are part of this game. One injury to the top 4 after that trade and the Canucks would be looking at:

Hamhuis-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Vandermeer-Alberts

Yikes!!!!

The biggest thing that baffles me about all these trade offers (not just in this thread), involving Edler is that people don't seem to think about what it would do to the Canucks blueline. Think of the starting 6 if Edler is moved for a forward.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Garrison

Vandermeer-Tanev

I don't know about anyone else, but this just doesn't look like a championship caliber defensive group to me. In my opinion, the top 4 (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison) are all but untouchable unless a replacement is coming back in the deal.

On top of this, injuries are part of this game. One injury to the top 4 after that trade and the Canucks would be looking at:

Hamhuis-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Vandermeer-Alberts

Yikes!!!!

I mean't in this situation, Edler would get a decent return at the trade deadline to a cup contending team looking for the final pieces, But an unsigened Edler, coming off an injury and yet to prove he can get back to form is not going to be a piece Dallas is looking for if they trade away a young star in the making who is still RFA. Now if Edler was signed to a decent contract that went beyond this season it would be a whole different ballgame. but he isn't , hence the lack of trade value to Dallas. If you think Dallas is going to give away thier future for a player who could walk away in 48 games you need to take the homer glasses off.

what people in this thread dont seem to get is that IF benn were available there would be a crazy amount of teams interested. in other words it would take a huge overpayment ( i.e. an offer that dallas cannot turn down ) to even their attention. lets look at the names being thrown out in this thread:

Kesler: was a 40 goal, selke winner two years ago. however an off season last year coupled with the fact that he is starting to become a very injury proned player has seriously lowered his value. add in that he wont be able to start the season on time and dallas is telling you, that they want more.

Edler: after another good season seeing edler put up 40+ points it would seem that edlers stock is on the rise. however his back issues over that last few years may have dallas worried that he'll be a severly injury proned player. add in that hes a pending UFA and edlers stock is nowhere near his actual value. dallas will tell you they want more.

i guess my point is that if vancouver is serious about getting benn then they need to throw an offer out there that will be tough to beat.

my offer would be: kesler + edler + schoerder + raymond

i know thats a lot for canucks fans to accept but that is what i truly think its going to take. when you think about it that is one offer that is both hard to ignore if your dallas and hard to beat if your another interested team

what people in this thread dont seem to get is that IF benn were available there would be a crazy amount of teams interested. in other words it would take a huge overpayment ( i.e. an offer that dallas cannot turn down ) to even their attention. lets look at the names being thrown out in this thread:

Kesler: was a 40 goal, selke winner two years ago. however an off season last year coupled with the fact that he is starting to become a very injury proned player has seriously lowered his value. add in that he wont be able to start the season on time and dallas is telling you, that they want more.

Edler: after another good season seeing edler put up 40+ points it would seem that edlers stock is on the rise. however his back issues over that last few years may have dallas worried that he'll be a severly injury proned player. add in that hes a pending UFA and edlers stock is nowhere near his actual value. dallas will tell you they want more.

i guess my point is that if vancouver is serious about getting benn then they need to throw an offer out there that will be tough to beat.

my offer would be: kesler + edler + schoerder + raymond

i know thats a lot for canucks fans to accept but that is what i truly think its going to take. when you think about it that is one offer that is both hard to ignore if your dallas and hard to beat if your another interested team

Benn is a good player, but not worth gutting the team for.

Also, I think people undervalue Edler. He was tied with Weber for points last year. A top 10 defenseman in the league. If you trade for Benn it's not going to be foe Edler +, +. Straight up at best.

Archived