The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we gun shy to pull the trigger on deals.

CanuckleHorse

Its really hard to comment on how Gillis has handled the goalie situation without knowing for sure the offers or options. Or the trades that could have happened that Luongo may have declined earlier on. But there are many times I question what he has or hasnt done that has turned out to be bad. Such is the case for all GM's though.

Trading away Grabner and Hodgson is NOT being patient and steady. Regardless of what they wanted, he caved and we picked up lesser talent.

But you're right, MG wasn't gun shy in the past. He made big moves before and after the cup run. He made some good trades to pick up guys like Ehrhoff, Higgins, Lapierre. He's also picked up Ballard, Booth, Kassian, and been eaten up for it. Whether he deserved that criticism or not is beyond the point. He's probably rattled, even if he says otherwise.

IMO its Hodgson that needed more patience lol.

Grabner was less proven than Raymond, who was coming off a breakout year.

He was considered a redundant asset. We made a trade from a position of strength to fix an area of weakness,

defence. At the time of the Ballard trade this was our D.

- -

Edler Salo

OBrien Bieksa (Injury riddled and inconsistent version)

Booth for scraps is a good trade. Take on risk with that contract, but potentially acquire talent for a low cost.

OH PLEASE... everything is SO HARD TO DO! Then why the heck did we hire Mike Gillis in the first place? Our Core is still Run by Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Luongo, Bieksa, Edler,... ALL NONIS PLAYERS. In fact he still kept Nonis' coach Alain Vigneault! Not even that he even went as far as critisizing our scouting team BUT STILL KEPT DELORME... His drafting record is far more mediocre than Nonis'.

I also remember Gillis telling that the Sedins might not be in his plan, complete arrogance and ignorance.

He has done nothing since our cup run... our team has gotten worst and worst.

Terrible Signings and Trades:

Bernier for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Marco Sturm, 2 million and only lasted for 5 bloody games.

Peter Shaefer...

Keith Ballard.. (4.1 for a number 6 defensemen, not to mention a first round pick and Michael Grabner)

Letting go of Mitchell

Signing 1 hit wonder Garrison to a 4.6 multi year contract..

The list goes on HE HAS DONE NOTHING for this team. Look at how terrible our prospect pool is... we don't even have anyone that can step up in the farm team. For some reason he has become some "god" gm because he was able to resign players THAT WERE HERE in the first place.

This is still Nonis' team.

Heck it's really laughable that Mike can't even trade Luongo when its' become CLEAR that we can't have 2 goalies like this. Just complete terrible asset management. Luongo is just going to get older and his value is just going to drop further and further.

Sorry had to get out, after hearing his arrogant voice today in his interview I've just had enough.

Terrible and one of the most overrated GM's in this league.

You must really hate Edler....

1) By your logic Luke Schenn value = Alex Edler value (let that sink in for a second)

2) Do you think JVR will continue shooting 16.9%, or is it likely to regress by at least 5%?

3) Also, do you have a contingency plan when Salo gets injured? Or do we just run with Cam Barker?

The biggest problem is that the Nucks don't have very good assets to trade. It's obvious they need an upgrade the 2nd line RW, but who are you going to use in a trade? Everyone puts Raymond, Ballard, Booth, Alberts, Sauve (and other struggling prospects) in their trade suggestions and then want a top player in return. Nobody wants to lose players like Jensen, Kassian, Schneider, Burrows, Kes, Gaunce, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, etc. But packages with those kind of guys are the only way you get top players in return.

It's a risky game and it's all about finding the right mix of players. You have to give up something good to get something good in return. The talent lies in estimating what the overall 'good' will be for the team.

You would fit right in with Mike Gillis's timid and bogeyman round every corner style.

Luke Schenn 5th overall pick 6'-2 and 230 lbs, 22points in each of the last 2 seasons and only 23. Your damn straight he is. He also kicked Lecavelier and Evander Kanes ass. He sticks up for his team mates. I would have him over Edler any day of the week.

I love how you are predicting that MG would see JVR's production drop and yet is confident enough to believe that Garrison's one half decent season is actually how good he really is.

And why single Sami out as an injury threat when Booth has hardly been fit since he got here and Kesler is a regular in the local x-ray department and that isn't even mentioning Manny, Raymond or Bieksa and Edler.

Sami was one of our most consistent performers last season until Marchand cheap shotted him. Played 69 with 25 pts.

Jagr wanted to finish in Canada...........why is he not here? He would have not only added a big body with outrageous talent to our second line but by doing so, effectively improved our bottom 6.

If it didn't pan out we were free of them after 2011-12 and could have put a Booth type contract to a proven, fit, top 6 UFA. ..................that was the smart thing to do.

I say it on here over and over again but it's true Gillis loses focus, far too much for my liking. We needed a proven functioning upgrade for the top 6 and he settled for a Florida rehab, castoff.

I see the same handwriting in the Sami debacle. Ruined a chemistry, pays out a big contract for someone who worked out for one season.

Ask you self what teams needs a goalie at the price Luuuuu is going for.

Wonder why Luuu is so relaxed this year?

What's he got to worry about , he has a large contract a no trade claus and a say in where he goes to.

Unless Kassian has a breakout season here (and not somewhere else), Mike Gillis will forever be branded the guy who gave up Cody Hodgson. I think we're able to figure out the strong-arm GMs from the nots. Some of them can handle the young guys. Some of them let them hold out on an RFA standoff.

At the time of the Kassian/Ballard trades, what you said is true. We needed grit and defence. We got neither. Kassian has been invisible and Ballard toiled for two years before getting comfortable (even then, he's overpaid for what he's got to give).

Booth for scraps was not a good trade. It's not October 2011 anymore. We've seen that the trade hasn't panned out all too well. He just barely lived up to his reputation, but showed no chemistry on the second line. No need to talk about potential here. We're now stuck with another overpaid guy. With that cap going down, everything now looks much worse.

The only thing Gillis has done well is re-sign players to great contracts. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler (we couldn't have expected this), Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins, Raymond.... he's kept the core intact, and for a reasonable price. It's his big-move trades that have been awful.

His drafting record is far more mediocre than Nonis'.

I also remember Gillis telling that the Sedins might not be in his plan, complete arrogance and ignorance.

Signing 1 hit wonder Garrison to a 4.6 multi year contract..

Look at how terrible our prospect pool is... we don't even have anyone that can step up in the farm team.

Heck it's really laughable that Mike can't even trade Luongo when its' become CLEAR that we can't have 2 goalies like this. Just complete terrible asset management. Luongo is just going to get older and his value is just going to drop further and further.

Sorry had to get out, after hearing his arrogant voice today in his interview I've just had enough.

Terrible and one of the most overrated GM's in this league.

Archived