The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Ryane Clowe

Booth, Raymond, and Higgins may all be gone by the summer. We won't be able to afford the raises Raymond and Higgins are gonna want. They'll be too pricey to be third liners.

I would take Clowe at 4-4.5 mil over any one of those three players.

Schroeder doesn't appear to be in this teams long term plans. He's not gonna take top 6 minutes from Henrik or Kes, and he's not the big bruising third liner the Canucks seem to want.

If we can get that big young center and first round pick back in a Lu trade, I have no problem giving up those assets for one of the toughest powerforwards in the game.

I really don't see them moving Kesler to wing, and Schroeder can't play that position.

This wouldn't be a Hodgson situation because we'd be trading for an established player signed to a long term deal.

No doubt Schroeder could be a 70-80 point player one day, but I don't see it on this team.

Most teams would be willing to trade a 1st and a top prospect for a signed Clowe. That's how valuable powerforwards are in this league.

Booth and Clowe are nowhere near comparable. Not sure what you're basing that one on.

Clowe is tough as nails and strikes fear into opponents. Booth hits and drives the net, but has no finish. No comparison to the two.

If you asked any coach whether they wanted Clowe or a healthy Booth in the playoffs, I guarantee every one of them would say Clowe. The guy's a warrior. Pretty much an older Lucic; who everyone seems to clamor over here.

Booth and Clowe are nowhere near comparable. Not sure what you're basing that one on.

Clowe is tough as nails and strikes fear into opponents. Booth hits and drives the net, but has no finish. No comparison to the two.

If you asked any coach whether they wanted Clowe or a healthy Booth in the playoffs, I guarantee every one of them would say Clowe. The guy's a warrior. Pretty much an older Lucic; who everyone seems to clamor over here.

How do we know Raymond and Higgins will want raises? I would be they would be willing to accept something similar to what they are already making.

I don't see why we are clammering to get Clowe. I know what he brings but right now he is basically David Booth. And we both know how many people don't like Booth being here, want him out and attribute him as a fail here. Right now that is what Clowe is. And if we give up Schroeder + 1st for Clowe even a signed Clowe, and he doesn't produce, this is possibly the biggest fail or MG's tenure. We should not trade the 1st this year and as canucks_trevor16 said we don't need another Hodgson situation, this time under our own choice. If anything the prospect that most doesn't fit here is Eddie Lack. Schroeder can contribute to this team in the long term, having a strong center ice position is a must in todays NHL.

You mean the often injured Booth that has 1 empty net goal and signed at 4.2m with 2 years left to his contract?

Lets say both of them cant score, which of the two contributes more to a team?

Clowe who hits to hurt, intimidates, fight and stand up for his teammates? Or Booth who is all speed and hits hard?

Of course Clowe brings those old school PWF things.

But both are the same in that they are both 6 forwards, or were. That cant score. Booth has been physical recently but that hasn't been enough for most of the fan base.

I don't see Clowe magically lighting the lap either, meaning he would just bring some of those other elements, and how would that big good enough? Especially at 4+ long term and at the expense of Schroeder/Good Prospect + 1st.

Powerforwards don't age well, who knows. Clowe may never score at the pace he has shown capable of in the past. And you throw in our cap situation. I just don't see how it makes sense to give up a premium in young assets when he isn't really a need, atleast not a big one.

Booth and Clowe are really different from each other.

Clowe may have no goals, but he actually does other things as well. He's more of a playmaker than a scorer, and his eleven assists show that..... Unlike Booth who cant really set up his teammates very well and is mainly out there to score.

Booth had 3 points, one being a gimme empty netter.

Clowe is not producing at his usual pace, but he still has 11 points in 28 despite a shoulder injury. Too much focus on the goals. He's more of a passer than a goal scorer.

Booth and Clowe are really different from each other.

Clowe may have no goals, but he actually does other things as well. He's more of a playmaker than a scorer, and his eleven assists show that..... Unlike Booth who cant really set up his teammates very well and is mainly out there to score.

As I said, Clowe brings the toughness factor which does bring some value to the table.

But Booth has been bringing some other elements aswell, but isn't scoring. So he is deemed a failure here. How would Clowe be deemed any better if he isn't scoring?

If we are going after a winger and are paying that price. We need it to be one that can bring offense. That doesn't seem to be Clowe.

As I said, Clowe brings the toughness factor which does bring some value to the table.

But Booth has been bringing some other elements aswell, but isn't scoring. So he is deemed a failure here. How would Clowe be deemed any better if he isn't scoring?

If we are going after a winger and are paying that price. We need it to be one that can bring offense. That doesn't seem to be Clowe.

Raymond took a pay cut to prove himself this season. I'd say he's done that since he is second on the team in goals and on pace for a 40 point season. He's gonna command at least 3 mil.

Higgins was underpaid after his first season here. He's probably gonna want about the same as Raymond.

Again, we have too many third liners, and not enough legit second line talent. That's gotta be fixed.

Schroeder will run into the same issue as Hodgson, being there is not enough minutes to go around for offensive players. If we wanna go for it now while the window is still open, you gotta give up assets.

Stockpiling picks and prospects is for rebuilding teams. This team isn't rebuilding.

Archived