Canucks Community

End of #21?

Canorcas

Luongo to the Leafs

Ballard bought out

Booth:

-Performs in the playoffs = might keep him

-Doesn't perform = buyout / trade

As for May Ray, he has proven to be a great asset to our team and has some great chemistry with a lot of the guys. I'm sure he'd love to stay a Canuck after the year is over, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took a pay cut to do so.

Apr913_BTL11_slide.jpg

I think the lower cap hit next year will effect the UFA market. If so, I think Raymond would take Higgins $ and stay with Van. He is a versatile player; both offensively and defensively and can play on any line and (unlike other teammates) on his off wing.

At 2.5M he has to play top 9, so it will be between him and Booth. I don't know if the Nucks can get under the cap with Booth, even if Lu and Ballard are gone.

I think the lower cap hit next year will effect the UFA market. If so, I think Raymond would take Higgins $ and stay with Van. He is a versatile player; both offensively and defensively and can play on any line and (unlike other teammates) on his off wing.

At 2.5M he has to play top 9, so it will be between him and Booth. I don't know if the Nucks can get under the cap with Booth, even if Lu and Ballard are gone.

It can be done, I just don't see him and booth both staying, with Higgins signed one of Booth/Raymond would have to be relegated to RW where we already have Burr, Kass and Hansen. We can't have a 4.25M winger playing 4th line minutes.

I would like to impress upon others that the Canucks buying out any player is not immediately a given.

Everyone has an eye on Ballard or Booth being bought out and assuming Luongo is traded this off-season but I don't think it's as simple as that.

The owners have to be given a complete explanation as to why they're now going to be paying a player more money for more years because it was a "mistake" bringing him to Vancouver.

I'm of the opinion that Gillis and Vigneault believe that Booth and Ballard can still be productive here in Vancouver and buying out either of those contracts would be opposite to that belief.

Also, people are quick to draw attention to the friendship that Raymond and Garrison enjoy but speak nothing of the relationship Kesler and Booth also enjoy-- and yet it may be the same people who are saying Booth should be bought out.

I'd like to make it clear from a management perspective that personal relationships don't mean much if in the way of building successful hockey teams.

Long story short, I don't believe the organization will be quick to buy any player out.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately Raymond will be asking for more $ and a longer contract this year. With the lower cap hit I don't think the management will be able to sign him. It's always hard to see a player that was drafted and developed by the team go to another team. He's taken a lot of abuse from fans, but ended up proving that he's a pretty tough and determined individual. I think he would do well in the Eastern Conference.

I will miss MayRay, but am hoping that a prospect will be able to step up and take his spot.

Don't want him.

I don't care about the regular season.

He can barely score in the playoffs, he always plays on the perimeter if you actually watch him play. We have enough of those guys...

He's also far too soft to be an effective checker in the West and if he's on our 2nd line, then clearly our GM hasn't learned anything from our last two playoffs.

So not sure where he would even fit in considering Higgins and Hansen should be our third liners...?

I think Raymond is a much better player than most of CDC does, but I believe that the numbers will dictate that he moves on.

Schroeder, although he's a center, could and should be asked to fill Raymond's spot on the team next season. There will be a drop in defensive responsibility, but more importantly, there will also be a drop in Cap commitment.

Archived