The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Oilers 7-2 Canucks

JE14

The thing the baffles me is people who get mad at AV in a game like this for not pulling Luo. What purpose would that have? Luongo is a big guy, he's had plenty of meltdown games before and he knows how to bounce back.

If he let in 5 goals in the first period, yes pull him.

If he let in 5 goals in the second, yes pull him.

But when there is only ten minutes left what purpose does that have, other than protecting Luo numbers. Taking a goalie out who is getting shelled yet still playing somewhat decent and throwing a complete cold AHL goalie, Whos sat on the bench for 50 mins, would be ridiculous. Pulling a goalie in the last 10 minutes of a blow out game makes no sense. Luongo doesn't need to get coddled, he's not a rookie, he's a vet.

Henrik's comments after the game were telling. Regardless of what was done, there was going to be criticism. The Lu situation was the same.

AV pulls Lu: Lu loses confidence in himself

AV leaves Lu in: Lu maybe gets it done, maybe not and the decision was no worse than above.

Basically, it's an easy decision. The kids saying otherwise have no idea how much goalies, especially Lu, hate being pulled. Let him feel the pain of the last 10 minutes and reflect. Schneids got lit up by Anaheim and because he's a warrior, he came back better than any of us thought. If Lu can't do the same, Lu is the problem. So what he left quickly after the game? He's just disappointed in his performance and he should be. He unraveled after his first mistake, and the team read off of that and became less confident in their game as well. You start over-thinking against a line of 1st overall picks without your top d men, 7-2 happens.

I also think once the game was out of reach, AV told our guys not to get injured. Oilers were weirdly chippy tonight. They just came off as staggeringly unintelligent. That they celebrated at all would have been a bit odd knowing this game was worth nothing, to go so wild is truly bizarre. Not to mention the intent to injure with slewfooting, pucks to the face and crosschecking to the throat of all things. It was good to let them just score their goals. Getting in the way would have turned out bad for us.

I remember this team being in the playoffs for a number of seasons before the '05 lockout and coming in 9th place with Alex f***ing Auld as the starter in '06.

You speak as though this team was the MapleLeafs before Luongo graced us with his presence.

This isn't about beating cloutier or some pathetic Canucks record. The Canucks have won more

Playoff games than any other team in the nhl since he's been here. But in this city if you don't single handidly win the cup you're a bum who single handidly loses the cup

Man, I dont know why I am so gobsmacked at how stupid some of the posts are on these boards.. by now it shouldnt surprise me obe would think but its just amazing to me that people who follow this team, who want to see them win a cup, who cheer for the team's success could treat their players so poorly with such torment and hate, and after a meaningless game to top it off.. wow.  Im no therapist or psychiatrist., but it seems to me that some of you posters out there need some serious help.. like you need to go cold turkey on the canucks because its frying your brains or something.

Its one thing for the media to report on this tean the way they do.. they need to sell papers and have people follow and watch.. fans on the other hand have no excuse to get this down on the team, and particularly luongo.. what a bunch of  losers you are to call Luongo, our winingest goaltender ever a loser. Seriously,to anyone who thinks luongo is a loser, youre a sad pathetic waste and 1000x the loser you think luongo is.

You dont have to like the guy, but he deserves our respect, yet people prefer to throw sh*t in his face.

F off

It's what you do this year, not what you did in 2006. I just wish people would stop blaming everyone else for Luo's meltdowns. If he lets in a bunch of deflected or screened shots, then make excuses, but when he lets in straight in shots or lets the puck in under his arm (shots he should stop as well as gloveside off the sideboards, there are no excuses...its just bad goaltending

Yes, it is bad goaltending, but it doesn't nullify what he has done for the team since he arrived. I do think he is mentally fragile, and has a hard time focusing after letting in a bad goal. But AV should see that, and know when it's time to pull Lui to let him refocus. A confidence and focussed Cannata is a better choice than an unfocused Luongo. However, a focused and confident Luongo is a better choice than Schneider or Cannata. The problem is knowing when he's focused and when to give him a break on the bench. Luongo's too much of a competitor to ever sit out, so I think it's AV's responsibility.

Archived