The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This should give us cause for concern.....

Bodee

You're not looking at the whole picture if you just compare their current AAVs (cap hits).

Franzen is on an eleven year "cap circumvention" contract. His deal started in 2009-10 and runs through 2019-20. He probably will retire before the deal expires and likely won't play out the last couple of seasons (when the cap hit drops sharply).

A few things you missed Bodee, that aren't insignificant.

Zetteberg's 6.1 cap hit runs until 2021, at which point he'll be 40 years old.

Franzen's 4 million cap hit runs until 2020, at which point he'll be 40 years old.

Howard's contract increases to 5.3 million for another 6 years.

Kronwall's 4.75 runs another 6 years at which point he'll be 38 years old.

They already have a pair of 35+ contracts in Bertuzzi and Samuelsson - who combined played 11 games for them this year, while their cap hits applied.

What do you think Filpulla, who scored 66 points last year, will cost to re-sign?

Kyle Quincey falls just below the 4 million mark, and with all due respect, is not that great a hockey player. (57.6% offensive zone starts against weak competition and he produced...3 points.)

The Detroit blueline only has one player worth paying 4 million - I'm almost certain they'd like to have the opposite problem.

Your inclusion of Roy, a UFA, doesn't make much sense considering your concern appears to be about the future.

Luo's contract, and probably another 4+ are in all likelihood not returning.

All in all I think the "concern" is a bit over-stated, and the RedWings situation isn't quite as rosey as you're suggesting.

Detroit has better high end talent then the Canucks, but they definitely aren't a better team.

Detroit is a 7th place team that barely squeaked into the playoffs & are likely in for a string of non playoff seasons.

Franzen, Kronwall & Zetterberg all signed to Luongo like contracts.

Zetterberg & the Sedins are the same age, Zetterberg makes less then the twins, but has 8 years left on his contract while the twins have 1.

The Wings aren't doing a better job.

The Red Wings are one of the, if not THE best managed teams in the league. This comes as no surprise... Their drafting has been second to none as well. If all teams did what Detroit does, this league would be crazy good!

These charts ARE the 2012-13 season or were you unable to take in the OP.

As Kryten reiterates, we are blaming all kinds of bad luck and coming up with a myriad of excuses but the bottom line is our players are just not reflecting their salaries or the size of this market on the ice.

Don't tell me our players are taking "home town discounts" when you see what some of these accomplished Detroit players are earning.

Man, I didnt know Zetterberg made less than the Sedins. He hits and blocks shots too (4 and 3 in last night's game, respectively). What a bummer.

Hey Detroit is probably super cheap to live in compared to Vancouver. Does anyone think that might be a factor when it comes time to ink a contract?

A few things you missed Bodee, that aren't insignificant.

Zetteberg's 6.1 cap hit runs until 2021, at which point he'll be 40 years old.

Franzen's 4 million cap hit runs until 2020, at which point he'll be 40 years old.

Howard's contract increases to 5.3 million for another 6 years.

Kronwall's 4.75 runs another 6 years at which point he'll be 38 years old.

They already have a pair of 35+ contracts in Bertuzzi and Samuelsson - who combined played 11 games for them this year, while their cap hits applied.

What do you think Filpulla, who scored 66 points last year, will cost to re-sign?

Kyle Quincey falls just below the 4 million mark, and with all due respect, is not that great a hockey player. (57.6% offensive zone starts against weak competition and he produced...3 points.)

The Detroit blueline only has one player worth paying 4 million - I'm almost certain they'd like to have the opposite problem.

Your inclusion of Roy, a UFA, doesn't make much sense considering your concern appears to be about the future.

Luo's contract, and probably another 4+ are in all likelihood not returning.

All in all I think the "concern" is a bit over-stated, and the RedWings situation isn't quite as rosey as you're suggesting.

He doesn't make less than the Sedins he makes $7.75m this season. He has a deal like Lou's with cap reducers at the end. The OP's list is cap hits and somewhat deceiving as it doesn't show this. It also doesn't show that the Filppula deal was signed in 2008, or that Franzens is also long term with cap reducers, or that Datsyuks $6.7m deal was signed in 07. When a deal is signed makes a difference as it's typically the going rate based on the cap limit that year. Long term deals with cap reducers added on also make a difference.

The Red Wings are one of the, if not THE best managed teams in the league. This comes as no surprise... Their drafting has been second to none as well. If all teams did what Detroit does, this league would be crazy good!

Fair enough but you omit 2 things.

Firstly not one of these contracts are NTC's

Secondly there is no reason to think that any of these players won't be functioning extremely well at 40. The four main players are:-

Swedes who tend to have a long shelf life.

Goalies also have a longer shelf life and add in the consistency and professionalism of Detroit I am sure they will still be in their prime approaching 40..........more than I can say for many of our NTC's.

Fipulla will no doubt take a "I want to play in a great organisation with great players and a great record for professionalism and success discount"................as opposed to a fake "home town, jeez I never thought I could screw this much out of MG, laughing all the way to the Bank discount"

Just because these contracts you mention are not returning does not mean they will be pleasant outcomes for the Club or the owners. This post is all about "cause for concern" The very fact we may a) get virtually nothing for them. B) have to "pay them out" is a disaster of epic incompetence for the Club and the fans.

Yes I could have left Roy out, you are right. However the way Gillis goes to any lengths to prove he made the right move doesn't bode well for him NOT being re-signed.

Archived