The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

As a Medicine Hat boy, I gotta say Willie Dejardins. Local hero that had incredible success here. "Learned" the conference as an assistant in Dallas and is now AHL coach of the year.

Eakins as 2nd choice, Tippet as 3rd.

Btw Canucks love good ol Medicine Hat Tigers....

He's my first choice,think he'd be an excellent choice for our younger up and comming players.

Umm firstly

Roy is not a first line center. He's at best a decent number 2 and you're saying our center depth is one of the best in the league?

wow!

Did you see how many points Roy got in the playoffs? How bout his faceoff percentage? how bout the hole MG needed to fill and what he filled it with?

Did we need a 2b with no size? or did we need a 3A with size and faceoff ability? And did we not know that before the season when MG said he already knew Manny was done?

Dude get your head out of your behind. Your comment is absurd. If you think the nucks had some of the best center depth in the league...well ...no one can help you

Derek Roy:

06-07: 63 points in 75 games

07-08: 81 points in 78 games

08-09: 70 points in 82 games

09-10: 69 Points in 80 Games

10-11: 35 Points in 35 Games

If thats not first line offensive production (Since I called him an offensive first line caliber center) Then what is?

Adding him at the time made our center depth among the best yes, it didn't work out. And thats my point, Gillis supplied AV with a 1st line caliber offensive forward, and AV still failed.

Bring back Crawford!

I think one of the big knocks against AV was that he was bent on trying to perfect a style that's passe, the finesse game. He didn't change with the times and it hurt us. The same could be said about Crawford to a degree. We need someone with their hand on the pulse of the game, someone on the cutting edge of the wedge with an instinct for establishing new standards and for setting the bar where it needs to be at any given time. Especially in the home rink. Someone that understands about setting the tone of the game early and forcing the opponent to play the game on our terms.

You don't change for the sake of changing you change for the sake of improving.

I'm not convinced there is a better coach available.

av is horrible at motivation and teaching of younger players... he needs to go... to many guys have become complacent with him....

Wow, so all 3 of them went ey.

Well this should be interesting for the players. Years of autonomy, dressing room of their own, input on decisions. Doubt they'll be afforded that with a new coach. Maybe it'll light a fire under their collective butts - at least we can hope. Coaches get canned, but so many players failed to show up in playoffs for 2nd straight yr. Hopefully we see some roster changes as well.

I think both should have been canned. MG failed to give the coach players to work with post cup run, and AV just flat out failed the past two playoffs.

I think that the only reason MG didn't get fired from his GM position is that at the end of the year presser he said that he is moving the team into a new direction to compete in today's NHL. Had he not said that, I'm sure he would have got fired.

Derek Roy:

If thats not first line offensive production (Since I called him an offensive first line caliber center) Then what is?

Adding him at the time made our center depth among the best yes, it didn't work out. And thats my point, Gillis supplied AV with a 1st line caliber offensive forward, and AV still failed.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/9/27/2452941/common-misconceptions-how-much-should-that-forward-score

Roy was solid for the Sabres in the East but pretty much dissappeared once he played in the West. He didn't do much in Dallas and only had moments with the Canucks. AV's constant line juggling played a big role in that for sure, but any hope I had for him was lost when he noticeably turned away from any type of contact in the playoffs. He's a talented player but not what the Canucks need right now.

Well the ax finally dropped. I was glad to see Gillis specifically mention about the playoff failure of the last two seasons. I said that was unacceptable and I'm glad Gillis agrees.

I liked AV in many ways but it's time to move on.

Roy was solid for the Sabres in the East but pretty much dissappeared once he played in the West. He didn't do much in Dallas and only had moments with the Canucks. AV's constant line juggling played a big role in that for sure, but any hope I had for him was lost when he noticeably turned away from any type of contact in the playoffs. He's a talented player but not what the Canucks need right now.

Raymond is a smurf. Roy is smurfette

Derek Roy:

We needed SIZE!!!

and clearly he's not good in games where playing a tougher brand of hockey is played, ie playoffs

how was his faceoff %?

what was his ROLE? WHAT WAS THE ROLE WE NEEDED TO FILL?

2B or 3A?

you are ignoring the reality buddy...MG didn't supply AV with talent and the proper mix.

the year he did, 2011...look where AV took them.

firing a coach who's been the best in nucks history, took us to the scf, 2 pres trophies (1 which we didn't deserve), a jack adams, and conference and divisional wins..

one has to ask, did AV over achieve with a group last year and this year? likely...and we'lll see it next when ./ if we dont make the changes MG should have made. we all know MG has made a TON of errors in talent management, and this his job.

you can't ask a chef to make a 5 star meal if you give him ingredients that aren't high quality....

Roy's production in the short time he was in Dallas was limited by a fairly documented groin injury.

As for turning away from any type of contact - I think you're overstating that - in reality, the officiating was dictating a no-hitter series - and ironically, Roy was penalized for a shoulder to shoulder hit that was blown way out of proportion...nothing resembling a "head shot" from "behind"...

He's actually a player who produces but also plays a decent two way game - a few consecutive seasons with offensive zone starts below 50%.

What I find ironic around here is the amount of whining about the Hodgson trade, coupled with all the conclusions that Roy isn't what the Canucks need (a smaller offensively gifted center with a far more developed two way game)

What happens if the Canucks are still bad even with a new coach?

Most of you guys would just blame the new coach, not the fact that perhaps AV was never the problem?

What if Hamhuis hadn't been injured in 2011? What if Lafayette hadn't hit the crossbar in 1994?

How about we see what happens? People had the same reaction with Garrison when he didn't produce immediate results. The team will likely have some changes in players and new coaches, so it may take a bit before we see results.

Derek Roy:

I can make anybody look good just by being selective with my stats, Roy is no longer a 1C, he is a 2C right now and that's me being EXTREMELY generous. You left out his last 2 seasons

80GP 17G 27A 44PTS

42GP 7G 21A 28PTS

I can make anybody look good just by being selective with my stats, Roy is no longer a 1C, he is a 2C right now and that's me being EXTREMELY generous. You left out his last 2 seasons

80GP 17G 27A 44PTS

42GP 7G 21A 28PTS

I'm pretty sure 5 consecutive 1st line caliber seasons trump an off year and a shortened season.

Archived